Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 157

Author Topic: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc  (Read 242254 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc
« Reply #1665 on: October 09, 2018, 10:39:44 am »

For this specific bug in the Windows 10 update you'd be kind of a goose to be really caught out by that.

The update issue only affected those who manually force the update instead of leaving it to the automatic updater. Once the bug reports started coming in, Microsoft pulled the update, but it never got to the point that it was being automatically rolled out. Anyone in the habit of manually updating things should really be doing full backups however, so they really have themselves to blame if they muck the system up.

the moral is to leave the system well alone unless you know what you're doing.

Even then, if you can help it.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: October 11, 2018, 01:54:00 pm »

They can parkour (kinda) now! Nowhere is safe!!
Eyy, Atlas! Don't worry, Atlas is a cool dude. People pick on his dog a lot though...

It's funny seeing just how agile and balanced these things are getting nowadays, compared to a few years ago.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: October 11, 2018, 01:59:00 pm »

Would be cooler if it parkour'd off the walls, though I can't tell if it has the ankle articulation for that.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: October 11, 2018, 04:14:11 pm »

The real question is "and how long did it take them to properly program in that sequence of moves?"
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: October 11, 2018, 04:18:03 pm »

I swear I saw Atlas do that ages ago, but given that Boston only put it up today, I guess not.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: October 11, 2018, 04:21:24 pm »

I swear I saw Atlas do that ages ago, but given that Boston only put it up today, I guess not.
He's hopped up and down things before, and done 180 spins mid-air. Might be that.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: October 11, 2018, 06:25:47 pm »

He's hopped up and down things before, and done 180 spins mid-air. Might be that.

Yeah, probably those.  Well, it's nice to see our glorious robot overlords making... leaps and bounds!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: October 12, 2018, 01:54:02 am »

The real question is "and how long did it take them to properly program in that sequence of moves?"
I think they favor programming in bits of movements and letting the bot work out the right sequence.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: October 12, 2018, 10:27:40 am »

I think they favor programming in bits of movements and letting the bot work out the right sequence.

I didn't know the tech had advanced far enough to allow that. I thought that such AI was still cripplingly limited at best. Cool to see the advancements in tech, though.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: October 12, 2018, 10:31:36 am »

I didn't know the tech had advanced far enough to allow that. I thought that such AI was still cripplingly limited at best. Cool to see the advancements in tech, though.
Check some of Boston Dynamics' other vids, they show off things like their dog/mule bot reacting and adapting to terrain in order to remain upright and stable. Poor thing gets kicked a lot...

Atlas is their attempt at doing the same with a bipedal robot, which is considerably more difficult. Atlas used to only be able to function with a ceiling-mounted "harness" of sorts, but they've got him more-or-less independent now.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: October 12, 2018, 01:23:06 pm »

Hell there's a recent vid of the dog navigating random construction sites in Japan without much trouble, going trough tight spots and up and down stairs. They're planning for a commercial version sometime next year with a bunch of different possible applications. In the aforementioned video it had an arm attachement with some cameras on it that it used to inspect bits of the construction work.

Edit:

I for one welcome our new dancing robot overlords :D
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 10:22:14 am by Jopax »
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: October 18, 2018, 02:25:37 am »

Curses, I'd just found that video myself and was about to post it here... Foiled again!

...which is, coincidentally, the only appropriate response to being stabbed by a fencing sword.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: October 18, 2018, 01:17:39 pm »

We kick and shove them, and they dance for us?

Gods above and priests below the robots are going to murder us all when they wake up.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: October 18, 2018, 01:22:57 pm »

We kick and shove them, and they dance for us?

Gods above and priests below the robots are going to murder us all when they wake up.

It was inevitable.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 157