Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 157

Author Topic: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc  (Read 243018 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc
« Reply #1935 on: August 08, 2019, 08:49:24 am »

It's definitely true that mechanization can open up a task for automation, but at least sticking to the definition side of things, the actual definition of automation is pretty well established already:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automation

The main criteria is that the process uses automated control/feedback loops. So, if the pulley system has control circuits which make decisions about when to start and stop the lifting process then that aspect of it is automated. If a human is making all the decisions, we generally don't call that automation.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 08:52:27 am by Reelya »

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #1936 on: August 08, 2019, 08:53:21 am »

Doesn't help that what I've been referring to as a pulley is still an electronic system where the nurse presses a button and it lifts the person to a certain height then stops. Then they press another button to let the person back down again.

It's not operated by hand in the sense that they physically pull a wire to lift the person, but it was described to me as an electric pulley :) Didn't realize if you thought I meant a physical pulley system xD

Think these are examples of them: https://www.nrshealthcare.co.uk/mobility-aids/moving-transferring-handling-aids/mobile-hoists

Though you were comparing those to a wheel-barrow in terms of not being true automation since there is still human involvement so that they weren't worth discussing, which is the part of it I was focusing on and hence my "the core of the changes caused by these is the same as with a wheel-barrow" point and the road that all went down xD I didn't realise if you thought I meant a wholly mechanical pulley system, so I was trying to say that comparing those to a wheelbarrow misses the point of the discussion, sorry that this didn't come across correctly.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 09:08:18 am by MorleyDev »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: August 08, 2019, 10:31:39 am »

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/newsbeat-49265125

Goddammit you guys, now we've made extraterrestrials.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: August 08, 2019, 12:13:04 pm »

Saw a similar article elsewhere. Learned we apparently left over a hundred bags of literal shit on the moon the last time we had people on it. There was probably something similar to water bears if not straight up actually them involved then, too.

So this is round N+1 of extraterrestrial creation, not an opening round. At least this time we're only throwing broken space junk at it instead of literally pooping them out. We're getting better!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: August 08, 2019, 09:32:49 pm »

lIt isn't about anything quite as malleable or personally defined as value, btw, it's just the difference between crafting something in such a way that the risk of failure persists like I do with my tools; and crafting something in a way that reduces or eliminates those risks entirely.

I could run a CNC and have it spit out blanks, hit the corners with a router to smooth them over into a chamfer, switch to a drill press and some smaller bits to mark and start hogging out relevant material from the spine and bolt countersink holes, while running the blanks across a sanding belt and disc bit by bit.

If done right the only risks are down to the actual skills involved in using the machinery safely, and each chunk of wood I run through could wind up matching it's siblings down to tolerances well below scales we can see easily, and outside of fairly catastrophic flaws causing a blank to flat out explode then errors are probably originating between the keyboard and the chair.

Is it silly to act as though a hand crafted tool is just automatically better? Definitely, especially when so many potential differences are shit where even the person who crafted it may struggle to identify them. I can turn something I made last year around in my hands with sharp sidelighting and pick out tool marks and hesitation errors and spots where my technique was unable to compensate for difficult grain arrangement. Over the last month and a half or so I not only got better at preventing those types of flaws in the first place, I figured out how to cut out most of the steps I previously tried to use for cleaning them up. My work flow used to involve far more rasping, filing, and sanding than necessary once I learned how to scrape properly. As a result I can now see certain tell-tale signs of a power sanded vs hand sanded surface which I can avoid completely.

What's the point one might ask, if they noticed how much smoother a piece of wood feels after heavy sanding compared to one I scraped which may still need some pore sealing?

Therein lies the rub, if you will, I have done this enough to appreciate when a piece of wood doesn't have torn fibers and dust smashed flat against the exposed surface because it doesn't obscure the way the microstructures in the grain look in the right light, and it doesn't artificially smooth out the naturally varied textures exposed when you slice material away with a scraper edge so all the ridges and bumps in your fingertips register against the flats and valleys and pits that emerge when you see a growth ring and pores under magnification.

I can't easily demonstrate this to you here though, but I could let you hold two otherwise identical handles and I bet you'd be able to tell there was something different in the way they feel even if you didn't quite know how to explain what it was.

Which goes back to mass produced vs hand crafted results and little things even I wouldn't have noticed before like overly sharp edge transitions between a curved section and a flat on the side of a handle that could end up contributing to a callus later on, which is hard to predict if you haven't used something enough to develop a callus with it in the first place, and accordingly is difficult to know how to remedy and prevent beforehand.

None of which gets into the artistic/stylistic side of things.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: August 08, 2019, 09:49:54 pm »

Or, to put another way, it's about craftsman(or woman)ship with that undefined quality that you can't really get from automated proccesses. I mean, sure, machines these days can easily make things with the same qualities as a high tier Master in their craft would, or even better (once you program them anyway), but I don't think automated proccesses can yet replicate that sort of undefined quality.

Though that line is going to become increasingly blurred as machines and programming becomes more sophisticated and more able to mimic that handmade quality. Or maybe handmade/crafted will take on an entirely new meaning.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 10:14:41 pm by smjjames »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: August 09, 2019, 04:00:34 am »

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/08/severe-local-0-day-escalation-exploit-found-in-steam-client-services/

Earlier today, disgruntled security researcher Vasily Kravets released a zero-day vulnerability in the Windows version of the ubiquitous gaming service Steam. The vulnerability allows any user to run arbitrary code with LOCALSYSTEM privileges using just a very few simple commands.

Is it time to panic?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: August 09, 2019, 07:06:55 am »

easily fixed locally with a registry ACL.  Setting this to administrators group ownership for write (at minimum) will prevent normal user from deleting the key, and injecting the exploit.

Just open regedit (run as admin!), browse to the key in question. right click on the key, and choose "permissions...". 

uncheck "include inheritable permissions" checkbox. Click apply. (A system window appears, asking if you want to add the inherited permissions, or delete them. Click add.)
check "Replace all child object permissions" checkbox. Click apply. (another system message appears, stating that you are overwriting all children with inherited permissions from parent object. pick YES)

Now that we have sanitized the ACL's inheritence for this object, we can manage it.

First, be sure to give full control to administrators:
Select Administrators from the list, and click edit.
Make sure full control is checked, if it is not already. (If not, clicking this explicitly grants all privs to administrators group users for you.)
click OK

Now we limit what normal users can do:
select Users from the list, and click edit.
uncheck full control if it is already checked. (this is what we DONT want!)
uncheck set value
uncheck create subkey
uncheck create link
uncheck delete
uncheck write DAC
uncheck write owner

DO NOT click anything in deny!! (The way windows permissions works, Deny takes priority over allow. Since all users, including admins, are members of the users group, this deny will override the explicit allows given to that group!! Unless you WANT a registry key that is untouchable, DO NOT check any of the deny boxes!)

click OK.

Click OK again to close the advanced permissions editor.

Click OK again to close the general permissions editor.

BOOM-- All safe now.

Valve could of course, roll in the necessary registry operations to harden this key this way with the installer for their next client update. We'll see how seriously they take this.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 07:46:52 am by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: August 09, 2019, 10:19:54 am »

Odd, I closed steam and reopened it. No issues. Then again, I did this to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432node\Valve\Steam\NSIS

That is the key that gets deleted, and replaced with a link pointing elsewhere that facilitates the exploit.  Hitting just the Valve key, or Steam key, I could see Steam throwing a fit over that.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 10:26:55 am by wierd »

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: August 09, 2019, 10:43:24 am »

I tried to do as instructed, but cannot find any checkbox for include inheritable permissions

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: August 09, 2019, 11:05:21 am »

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/08/severe-local-0-day-escalation-exploit-found-in-steam-client-services/

Earlier today, disgruntled security researcher Vasily Kravets released a zero-day vulnerability in the Windows version of the ubiquitous gaming service Steam. The vulnerability allows any user to run arbitrary code with LOCALSYSTEM privileges using just a very few simple commands.

Is it time to panic?

From the way the article puts it, they sound more like a whistleblower than disgruntled, but I suppose there’s a fine line between the two.

Besides, it sounds like the infosec company put blinders on to other possibilities, especially after a second person reproduced it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: August 09, 2019, 11:56:08 am »

I tried to do as instructed, but cannot find any checkbox for include inheritable permissions

I am driving a win7 machine, because I hate win10.  That might be part of it.  I can make pictures though. Hold on.

Spoiler: Now with Images (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 12:17:02 pm by wierd »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: August 09, 2019, 01:10:02 pm »

Yeah, from the UK perspective here so...care homes for the elderly who lack the capacity for private funding seem pretty "a thing that state should provide".

Agreed.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: August 09, 2019, 01:20:49 pm »

Mere seconds after posting updated instruction for the steam bug, centurylink, my isp, decides it needs to go down.  Posting from my phone, via cellular.

American ISPs are great, ya?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: August 09, 2019, 01:59:07 pm »

Mere seconds after posting updated instruction for the steam bug, centurylink, my isp, decides it needs to go down.  Posting from my phone, via cellular.

American ISPs are great, ya?

It isn't so bad. Mine has 9 fives uptime.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 157