Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 157

Author Topic: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc  (Read 243823 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc
« Reply #2235 on: August 27, 2020, 02:15:52 pm »

The 1908 New York to Paris Race was an automobile competition consisting of drivers attempting to travel from New York to Paris.

"attempting".
That's unfair, half of them apparently managed. :P

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: August 27, 2020, 02:17:34 pm »

So, flying somewhere could be far cleaner than driving,
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Stockholm,+Sweden/New+York,+USA/
...loadsa metadata snipped from URL for readability only, as extraneous (the encoded map scale/centre stuff, mostly). Doesn't actually matter, it admits to no route in either form...

(I'm sure that, in the past - possibly not Google Maps but a precursor service - there was actually a 'land' route from Europe to the US, featuring Bering Straits ice-bridge. Perhaps it's actually still programatically there but seasonal and thus not current without changing date-data too.)

((The first version of that also required me to scroll down to the second Stockholm, the first being in the US (before I went into Directions, flipped it to be From and then added NYC), but Google obviously learned what I meant and won't replicate for me to examine at leisure.))

Anyway, to go via the Atlantic I'm obviously now off to electrically-retrofit a DUKW chassis.  6 ton(ne~) and 400 mile (road) range in its WW2 incarnation, with the 91HP engine. So definitely gonna need a solar-cell awning(-cum-sail?), for recharging, and likely some severly enhanced flotation/waterproofing/drainage systems too to deal with pelagic conditions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1908_New_York_to_Paris_Race

The 1908 New York to Paris Race was an automobile competition consisting of drivers attempting to travel from New York to Paris.

"attempting".
They would need to make their cars amphibious and have those tools that make the cars float and move within the water resistant to corrosion vis salt

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: August 27, 2020, 02:18:13 pm »

I just liked the idea, out of context, of them attempting to drive across the ocean not realizing.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: August 27, 2020, 02:21:17 pm »

Surely they’d do research on where the locations are compared to each other, and thus outfit their vehicles appropriately, of course, maybe they’d need boating licenses too, so they can build car boat hybrids, it would be interesting

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: August 27, 2020, 02:23:59 pm »

Surely they’d do research on where the locations are compared to each other, and thus outfit their vehicles appropriately, of course, maybe they’d need boating licenses too, so they can build car boat hybrids, it would be interesting
They just had them shipped over as cargo, being from 1908 before fun was invented.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: August 27, 2020, 02:27:28 pm »

It was probably google maps, as google maps used to do all kinds of coy things like that before they started to hate fun.
Back in the early 2000s, I know that one (preGoogle) service[1] had no routes between Scotland and England. (Nearly. The break in routing-data, on investigation of intermediate destinations from both directions, put the disconnect slightly north of the border. With no reasons obvious to me at the time, the day before I was making a journey I wanted to double-check. Though I was actually just going to head for the A1 road, follow my nose for a few hundred miles then follow the roads I knew well enough near my destination.)

So, yeah, might have been the heady early days of Google Fun I remember.  A quick search suggests a route from one or other point in far-eastern Russia to the extremities of Capetown (and/or the return journey) is the longest simple Direction that can be established without a Via.  (Capetown to ~Ushuaia, Tierra Del Fuago would be interesting.)

so they can build car boat hybrids, it would be interesting
https://topgear.fandom.com/wiki/Amphibious_Car_Challenge_2

(Viewable on https://youtube.com/watch?v=YVjo6YOT3Zg - maybe?)

[1] My memory tells me it was MapQuest. But that might have been the one that somehow gave milages 100 miles shorter than the actual ground-distance. I'd excuse it as "early days", but given I'd used floppy-installed DOS/EGA-illustrqted route-mapping programs way back in the '80s, you think online services would have been no worse!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 02:30:19 pm by Starver »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: August 27, 2020, 02:29:09 pm »

you think online services would have been no worse!
Don't use technology much, do you? :P

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: August 28, 2020, 03:22:34 pm »

Apple 30% commission versus The World:  Fight!

If I thought all the companies were actually looking to reduce prices that would be great. But I guarantee that if Apple stopped charging 30% it won't make companies change their price from $14.99 to $12.99; instead that $2 or whatever is just going to go somewhere else.  (I definitely don't want it going to Facebook.)

That aside - how would you (if you were a non-greedy corporate overlord) go about setting a price point for such a thing?  I'm not looking for a specific number, I'm just curious as to what process you might use to find that price point.  And something more specific than just "use AI!"

I'm wondering if maybe some kind of auction system would work, where you'd like say "Pricing for the next quarter: We will take $0.25 + X% of price.  Second highest price after 2 weeks of bidding wins!"

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: August 28, 2020, 03:41:50 pm »

A lot of what that cut amounts to is marketing, I think. Like, if you're an indie game developer, the reason you'd want to get your game on steam and let valve have 30% of sales rather than sell from your own website is that people are more likely to stumble upon the game browsing through steam than just happen to find your URL. I'm not sure how much that's actually worth, but maybe marketing experts do.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: August 28, 2020, 03:46:25 pm »

If I thought all the companies were actually looking to reduce prices that would be great. But I guarantee that if Apple stopped charging 30% it won't make companies change their price from $14.99 to $12.99; instead that $2 or whatever is just going to go somewhere else.  (I definitely don't want it going to Facebook.)

You're not taking into account that sales increase when prices drop. Why do companies pass cost savings onto customers at all? It's because they sell more units then. Any change in your costs changes the equilibrium point.

And another reason this is true is because if it wasn't it would lead to a contradiction: say the cost is reduced by 5 cents, and you lower the price by 5 cents and this change doesn't increase sales enough to cover losing 5 cents per sale, then ... you could have charged 5 cents more to start with, and that also wouldn't have affected the amount of sales enough to cut into the increased profits, so the original price-point should have been higher in the first place.

i.e. if sales are elastic and the current price is the optimal point for profit-making, then any change in costs should be passed on (change the sale price). However, this wouldn't be true if the amount of sales wasn't elastic at that price point, but if that was true then any sensible company would have been charging higher prices in the first place.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 03:55:37 pm by Reelya »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: August 28, 2020, 07:16:01 pm »

Not sure it's technically this thread, but I want to point out that the latest Firefox for Android update that I accepted (without any clues what I would be accepting) has now adopted the Tabless paradigm for multi-paging (I use Chrome on here as well, and already know I dislike that method), and relative font sizes in Bay12 Forums has gone screwy. Perhaps for readability reasons, but it takes away more effective screen estate than the other fiddling changes gave me.

I think I'll switch to the desktop for a while, while I grieve the latest 'advances' in tech and software engineering. And switch to the venerable desktop for a while.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: August 28, 2020, 07:32:04 pm »

To disable automatic font resizing (which sounds like the problem you have), go to Settings > Accessibility. The first thing is Automatic font sizing. Just disable that, and the font size wonkyness disappears. It's there for readability, as you said, but on legacy websites like this, it just gets all kinds of screwy.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: August 28, 2020, 07:53:22 pm »

I've spent too much time about this... and I have come up with an idea* that is as "free market" as you can get:  In the store, when you make a purchase, there is a slider that starts at 30%/70%. As the purchaser you move the slider to "Store curator" or "App developer" to decide who gets what cut.  I wonder what the "free market" would side.  Starting at 30%/70% is just because that is what it is "today".  Cap it so it can't go further than 98%/2% or 2%/98% or to where the smallest value can be no less than $0.25.

I would bet that 99% of purchasers would just leave it there at 30/70.  Then you'll probably have 0.5% of apps or something be pegged 98% to Apple, say (*cough* facebook *cough*) and the other 0.5% pegged 2% to Apple (I dunno, maybe some really popular indie game developer with a loyal following?).  Probably nothing in between.  Even if you put a "you didn't move the slider, are you sure?" nag in there.

Put another way: the vast majority of purchasers don't care - it's just the companies.

*Patent pending.  Not really, and in a sane world this would count as prior art, but now that we're in "first to file" instead of "first to invent" I don't know that it would hold water.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: August 28, 2020, 07:57:26 pm »

That description is not actually patentable anyway.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: August 28, 2020, 08:16:03 pm »

That description is not actually patentable anyway.

Hey now, this is the tech thread! And Tech tries to patent EVERYTHING! (and sadly often succeeds with less descriptive things than what I proposed above).

Spoiler: patent language (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 08:19:21 pm by McTraveller »
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 157