Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 157

Author Topic: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc  (Read 239993 times)

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
Re: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2016, 09:50:55 pm »

Restaurant's (at least not the casual dining ones) aren't the kind of place you go to for a cheap, quick, and efficient meal.

It's kind of like a concert versus a recording, there is that extra human element that makes it worth while for people. This can be true even in cases when the chef isn't anything special, and could be replaced with some automated system with little effect.

Sound recording has been a thing for well over a century, and live performances still exist. I don't see human-chef restaurants disappearing anytime soon.

Social question: What happens to the wait-staff after they're replaced by mechanization?

They find other jobs. Or they get a job at the restaurant up the road that still uses humans (and has a reliable customer base just because of that)
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2016, 09:56:43 pm »

They find other jobs. Or they get a job at the restaurant up the road that still uses humans (and has a reliable customer base just because of that)
So you believe this will always be possible?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2016, 10:23:17 pm »

So you believe this will always be possible?

No, the job market fluctuates, so it might be easy/hard to do.

If they can't find a job in the time since they have been notified they are being made redundant (something like this is usually known ahead of time), then they file for unemployment and continue looking.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2016, 10:44:16 pm »

This is despite quite a bit of automation in the food that ends up on the shelves at the grocery store.
I legit don't know, but isn't most of that automation only really effective on scales significantly larger than your average kitchen? I can only remember seeing in passing is stuff that's like... industrial. In the sense that it stops really working below a certain size.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2016, 11:11:18 pm »

In China, noodle restaurants are starting to use "noodle making robots", which have a human facade.
http://www.techinsider.io/creepy-noodle-making-robot-is-a-masterpiece-2015-8

But the bits that make them look "human" are entirely cosmetic: they are fashioned after people because Chinese expect a person to be the noodle slicer. Once it's been automated for long enough, perhaps people won't care whether the noodle-bot looks like a person or not.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2016, 11:33:03 pm »

Well, at least they didn't try to make them look like a realistic human, that would just be too creepy.

You eat your own head

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2016, 11:44:15 pm »

I kind of imagine a noodle making machine to look like a large play-doh extruder. They don't look creepy to me so much as they remind me of robots from 80s japanese shows like Power Rangers or similar.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2016, 12:06:08 am »

Actually exists, apparently. At the very least it's the name of a character in something called Ninja High School. Which rings a bell for some reason I can't remember, but eh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2016, 12:38:58 am »

Ramen Rider

During the day he is a humble noodle shop owner. However, when night falls, he fights againt the forces of evil using powers gifted by the FSM!
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, AI Etc
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2016, 12:56:56 am »

Online shopping still requires you to navigate through the virtual store while bombarding you with specials etc. It's the same thing.
The same thing as what? going to a grocery store? no, it's not and the most prominent reason for the success of Online grocery shopping is that it spares people of physically going to the store.

I have already stated how I seriously doubt that this is something which is of a concern to most people.

I have already stated how i seriously believe it will be a success in households with two working adults and kids, in countries which are more suitable to these kind of systems and with people who are just good old lazy (or highly value their off-work time)

Until it needs updating, but then it only works on the newer version of Android, so you update your phone to that. Then one of the apps you use breaks with it and you spend the next couple of hours fixing that.
So you update it once every few months and it breaks once a year so you re-download the App. seems like much more time saving than shopping through an interface that can break as well or physically going to a store.

These systems are built, programmed, maintained, and administered by humans. I doubt that throwing drones at this problem will make it go away.

The programming, maintaining and administering of the system is not relevant to the timing of the delivery, plus, the big advantage is you don't have to wait for the drone, it hands over the groceris to I-Battler 2.0 and it packs it so the timing of the groceries delivery will become a non issue.

We already have similar things. services that deliver daily random recieps to your doorstep, which are often being left there for an hour or so till you come back home and pack it in the fridge. the system will spare the grocery waiting time, packing time and in the added case of the cooking I-Battler, cooking time.

Oh good, now I have adverts on my phone I need to deal with and dismiss. This is really starting to sound like a bigger pain in the ass than just doing it myself.

I would seriously doubt the effectiveness of advertisements, at this point, most people have been conditioned to dismiss and ignore advertisements on their phones. The main income for apps tend to IAP's.

Again, a bigger pain in that ass than browsing through an Online shopping App or website that already does those things, or going to a physical store and getting the same promotions suggestions from sales persons/cashiers? i don't think so.

IAP's is the biggest income for which apps? mobile games? perhaps, but there is still a place for advertising, especially in promotion advertising, especially in consumption.

We have that, its called a microwave oven, takes only a few minutes.

Your microwave prepares you a salad? makes you a sandwich? heck, does it even heat your pizza on its own?

Agree, a system that "puts a hot meal on your table just as you walk in" could actually be really annoying. Say I was late or ate out, does the food just go bad or get dumped? We have takeaway places for the need of quick fix meals, we really don't need home robotics to solve the "problem" of "don't feel like cooking".

I-Battler wont be offended if you tell it take the time off and cook yourself, plus, it could track your movement and start/progress the meal by it or require a confirmation for starting it.

Choices don't exist in a vacuum. While this home-robotics thing is improving, so will commercial food robotics, and they are likely to be ahead of the curve on this. Economies of scale. e.g. those burger robots who make 400 burgers an hour. A home-robotics system is unlikely to be able to compete with that. There are already takeout choices that are far cheaper than DIY cooking, e.g. $5 large pizzas at dominos. I doubt I could work out the home ingredients for a $5 pizza like theirs.

The problem with that is the delivery time from the second the meal is ready to the second you start eating it will always be longer than cooking it inhouse and there are certain meals which simply can't maintain the same level of quality even in a 20 minutes commune. regardless, commercial places, even fully automatic ones, still have added overheads like management, marketing, rent, taxes etc.. the cost savings in terms of efficieny and bulk purchasing of the ingredients could very well be lower than these overheads, but that is something which is still remain to be seen though, maybe it will be cheaper.

The problem may be that we're applying an old paradigm and just high-teching it. We are making the same mistakes about The Future as The Jetsons did. Rather than have a super-fridge which tracks supplies, and has an army of robots to keep it stocked and make meals, with drone-deliveries of bulk raw materials, why wouldn't people dispense with the large fridge altogether, thus saving on energy and costs, and get individual meals drone-delivered?

The army of robots replaces current existing machines, only making them smarter (with the added robot for fridge packing-delivery to the kitchen) but Yes, that is a good idea and argument. in certain countries the shopping habbit is very similar to that where people shop daily only for tonight's meal rather than in bulk and on a week long planning (Which surprisngly turned out cheaper for people since they barely throw out rotten food). they usually have smaller fridges, but they still have them to store "snacks" or basically, everything that is relevant to an impulse/instant consumption. Wine, Beverages, Fruits, Milk etc..

In China, noodle restaurants are starting to use "noodle making robots", which have a human facade.
http://www.techinsider.io/creepy-noodle-making-robot-is-a-masterpiece-2015-8

But the bits that make them look "human" are entirely cosmetic: they are fashioned after people because Chinese expect a person to be the noodle slicer. Once it's been automated for long enough, perhaps people won't care whether the noodle-bot looks like a person or not.

I have seen a documentary of Japan, in which it said that due to their specific religious background, they believe inanimate objects have souls too, so their robots also have souls which is why they are more likely to get attached to them. they shown a burial of a pet robot that broke. creepy, yet somehow very... "progressive".

Tried looking for it, couldn't, but found this instead:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/mar/12/mourn-robotic-dog-human-sony

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2016, 01:31:22 am »

That explains the pillows....

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2016, 01:33:55 am »

ITT: Why invent or do anything new ever? Stuff working right now, right?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2016, 01:34:18 am »

Wont be long till they start marrying their robots.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2016, 01:38:00 am »

Wont be long till they start marrying their robots.
If the robot is intelligent and free-willed enough to consent, why object?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 157