Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 157

Author Topic: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc  (Read 239976 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc
« Reply #2205 on: July 10, 2020, 03:23:04 pm »

They have to really want not to suck the B-vord, by their own choice.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 03:28:09 pm by Starver »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: July 10, 2020, 03:26:25 pm »

The B-vord url seems to have been broke

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: July 10, 2020, 03:31:42 pm »

The B-vord url seems to have been broke
Fixed in original... I don't know how it happened (though I have an idea), but it really wasn't as germane to the conversation at hand anyway. Except philosophically of course.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: July 17, 2020, 09:33:10 am »

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: July 17, 2020, 08:46:55 pm »

"In case of apocalypse, all 21 TB of GitHub code moved to cold storage at an actual Arctic vault"

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/github-open-source-code-cold-storage-arctic-code-vault

Pretty cool that some of my iterinant wanderings got included.  Did yours?

(Linux dominance assured.)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: August 05, 2020, 10:39:36 pm »

Tests run on wireless charging vs wired

https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/20/08/05/2031219/heres-exactly-how-inefficient-wireless-charging-is

Using wireless vs wired add up to 50% more power needed. Def go for the wireless if you like burning money and the environment.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: August 07, 2020, 09:59:31 pm »

Really nifty examples in NN face generation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrdmCkmK3y4

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: August 26, 2020, 09:49:51 pm »

This is Concorde all over again:

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/20/08/26/2354250/boom-supersonic-hopes-to-test-fly-its-supersonic-plane-in-2021

[Boom Supersonic founder Blake Scholl] describes himself as an Objectivist (a follower of the teachings of Ayn Rand) and previously worked for both Groupon and Amazon.
it's clear that Elon Musk's private spaceflight company is the model Boom is striving to emulate.

A good start, so we have an Amazon employee who's an Ayn Rand fan and wants to build high tech airplanes at his start-up.

If you read the article, the guy's basically trying to do a Concorde thing: < 100 passengers, ultra-luxury but in a sign of the times the stated route is Tokyo to Seattle instead of London to New York. The guy thinks he can sell 2000 of these planes for $200 million each. i guess he's hoping there are enough John Galt types out there who will want tickets on these ultra-luxury jets.

My hunch is that this niche isn't as good as he thinks it is. On the one hand you have mass jumbo jets optimized for price per passenger and on the other hand you have private jets (with a plethora of manufacturers), optimized for transporting low numbers of people around. This thing would be somewhere in between both those things, too big to be a private jet and probably too small to be an effective option on a dedicated plane route.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 10:05:49 pm by Reelya »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: August 26, 2020, 10:21:29 pm »

One has to wonder, at a moment in history when events have so depressed air travel[1], whether the hope is to try to attach to the 'inevitable' recovery curve of demand[2] or was to get into the prior size of market but got in too deep to put off the current previously-scheduled public announcement..

[1] Airlines are going out of business and even airports are operating at reduced capacities and laying off staff.

[2] Perhaps pinch off a subsection of it, just short of any Virgin Galactic/SpaceX suborbital intercontinental transfers that might arise.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: August 26, 2020, 10:53:21 pm »

i am sleepy and crabby, so this probably contains too much snark--

But he could always pitch them to the GOP crowd, who refuse to wear masks even in the house and senate, and get uppity with staff that try to wear them.

As such, they could pitch the "midsize plane" as a platform that cannot be enforced for mask rules, where all their buddies and cronies can mingle in-flight.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: August 26, 2020, 11:07:57 pm »

Modern supersonic plane research is very interesting, but if they try to repeat Concorde's ideas they'll meet the same fate. There aren't enough people paying for that, there's a reason planes like the 747 and A380 tend to dominate transoceanic flights.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: August 26, 2020, 11:12:29 pm »

What they should be looking into, is how to make an all-electric jumbo liner a reality.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: August 26, 2020, 11:12:55 pm »

Get some absolutely incredible battery tech.

In short, it's not.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: August 26, 2020, 11:23:31 pm »

Getting closer all the time.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48630656

Not "Jumbo liner" sized yet, but large cessna personal jet sized.

Give it time. Some improvements in producing all-electric jet engines have also been made in the past few years.
https://interestingengineering.com/this-electric-jet-engine-could-lead-to-carbon-neutral-air-travel

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: August 26, 2020, 11:27:13 pm »

That engine is cool but I have serious doubts about its efficiency, and more importantly it doesn't solve the serious battery problem. Also, reliance on propellers restricts maximum speed. For something the size and speed of a jet liner, propellers can't be used unless you want to dabble in the delightful world of supersonic propellers.

The best example of a plane with a supersonic propeller is known as the "Thunderscreech", and I will tell you that it's a very apt name and leave it to you to figure out why :P

Bad jokes aside, we're a long way from the techs needed to do transoceanic flights or other long-distance routes via electric plane.
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 157