Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 157

Author Topic: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc  (Read 244323 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc
« Reply #2280 on: September 17, 2020, 07:46:50 pm »

My brain is clearly not in future mode, because self-driving cars are apparently already a thing but we're still working out how that fits with our existing laws. Now we're at the point of asking not whether Tesla Autopilot cars are involved in accidents, but whether they're involved in more or less accidents per road mile than an averagely competent human driver.

Rather than the clean break from full-manual to full-auto that we might have imagined, this general easing in of AI features into cars is probably a more realistic way this stuff ends up in the market. The insurance people are the ultimate number-crunchers here: when those guys mandate that certain drivers have to have auto-pilot turned on to reduce their insurance premiums then you'll know the tech has come of age.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: September 17, 2020, 10:57:30 pm »

Like my 2020 car and its advanced cruse control.  It's able to detect its in lane and supposedly match speed with the car in front of it.  All you'd need is to teach it how intersections work, and hook it to the bluetooth phone GPS.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: September 17, 2020, 11:13:38 pm »

Like my 2020 car and its advanced cruse control.  It's able to detect its in lane and supposedly match speed with the car in front of it.  All you'd need is to teach it how intersections work, and hook it to the bluetooth phone GPS.

But also make it read signs, be aware of pedestrians and other obstacles, understand other cars' intentions, evaluate unusual situations on the road, ...
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: September 18, 2020, 12:10:19 am »

Signs are for weak meat-brains.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: September 22, 2020, 07:21:23 am »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: September 26, 2020, 02:28:13 am »

People who are worried about 5G signals have no idea how lax RF emissions standards used to be.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/09/when-televisions-were-radioactive/570916/

tl;dr - back in the 1960s they discovered that most manufacturers of color TV sets made ones that were blasting viewers with X-rays.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 02:31:21 am by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: September 26, 2020, 03:01:11 am »

A lot of CRTs can generate X-rays. Cathode Ray and X-ray sources are related technologies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-ray_tube

The major difference being that CRTs aim the electron beam at a wide anode at the front of the CRT, and use it to excite phosphor material embedded on the inside of the glass, using a shadow mask and deflection plates, and typically run at lower voltages.

the X-ray tube is essentially a CRT, minus the deflection plates, and with a much smaller anode, driven quite a bit hotter.

As the article points out, it is the high voltages that give rise to the x-rays.  Later CRTs probably have a weaker flyback transformer, and fire a lower voltage electron beam.  This was likely made possible by better formulated color phosphors that needed less energy.  Still, any CRT is potentially an X-ray tube, given enough juice.

These days almost nobody is using a CRT, and LCDs are incapable of producing X-rays (that I know of anyway.. Maybe some old generation ones that use a CFL backlight, if the backlight is both high voltage, and poorly designed... But today's LCDs use an LED based backlight, and those are very low voltage.)

« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 03:03:35 am by wierd »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: September 26, 2020, 03:04:17 pm »

(I'm not even sure that was a CRT screen. Trying to work out whether that meant it was a pre-Digital Rollout TV. I suppose it could be being fed by SCART...  Anyway, I just thought you'd enjoy that. As with this, as I seem to be finding Technology/Engineering Fail things.)

So, a football club has a very smart coach to transport them around, with a very smart safety gadget fitted that sprays a fine alcohol solution around the interior as preventiative disinfectant.

It seems it already had a very smart safety gadget fitted that would prevent the coach from being driven if it thinks the driver is inebriated.

You already know the punchline.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: September 29, 2020, 09:23:45 am »

Not (yet?) a tech failure: Jetpack helimedics!

Well, potentially. Can't help feeling this'll be (jet-powered-)pie-in-the-sky, with marginal gains[1], more for publicity (of both partners), but it's 'proven' engineering in and of itself...

[1] There's sometimes a trek from the safest landing place for the helimed unit to the casualty, and back with them on a stretcher. Maybe it could shave off time for the jetpack-pilot/medic to attend, if they can unpack an strap on and start up the thing quickly enough, but not obviously going to help any more on the return journey.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: September 30, 2020, 02:32:50 am »

So, something not foolish for a change.

Recently, Mozilla's email client, Thunderbird, has started supporting encrypted email using GPG keys "intrinsically".  It no longer needs additional installs of GPG for windows, or Enigmail.

Once set up, it works transparently. 

I figured this was worthy of mention, even though almost nobody but super nerds like me will have any reason or desire to use encrypted email.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 02:57:52 am by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: October 03, 2020, 02:39:22 am »

A curious device was demonstrated by the university of arkasas.

https://phys.org/news/2020-10-physicists-circuit-limitless-power-graphene.html

Uses thermal excitations in graphene to do work. Numerous curious applications.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: October 03, 2020, 11:54:34 am »

ptw
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: October 03, 2020, 11:55:16 am »

Re: graphene thermoelectric power article:

I imagine Palpatine shouting "unlimited power!" rebutted by Inigo Montoya saying, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: October 03, 2020, 01:25:04 pm »

UNLIMITED
POWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: October 03, 2020, 07:12:43 pm »

I keep getting distracted by every news source repeating the meaningless unlimited power line, but it sounds like this is actually a pretty profound result if it does disprove Feynman's assertions like that article provides.  Something sounds fishy in general about this though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 157