Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157]

Author Topic: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc  (Read 239949 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc
« Reply #2340 on: February 09, 2021, 06:29:08 pm »

Plus they looked not nearly as transparent and much more cloudy than this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That image doesn't even seem consistent with the image at the top:

The image at the top seems more cloudy. (And even then less cloudy than nilered's synthesis. And that guy went through a whole bunch of tweaks and methods.)
To be totally fair - and I am, in fact, also suspicious of the claim - I am not at all convinced that the first image isn't just as cloudy as the second. Look at the fine detail of the leaf veins visible around the square, which are, except for the largest, totally smudged into green oblivion within. Similarly, in a few places you can see evidence of the same streaking seen in the second image, but less obvious presumably because the angle of the picture causes less glare, and possibly because the leaf is much closer to the square, reducing the diffraction. Rather, I think the subject of the first picture was deliberately chosen to make the square look clearer than it really is by virtue of a subject with relatively little noticeable fine detail to blur, flat enough to minimise the distance from the square.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: February 09, 2021, 07:45:39 pm »

It's also worth noting that nilered soaked the wood pieces overnight, not just for one hour. And I don't think it's a choice of wood because the article says any wood can be used.

Also, I don't think untreated wood bends and folds like paper, even when just 1mm thick:

Also it credits the picture to Qinqin Xia at "University of Maryland/Science Advances". But I couldn't find a program or paper with that name online. It feels like "National Academy of Proceedings" from xkcd.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 07:51:44 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: February 09, 2021, 08:22:36 pm »

https://www.homehacks.com/bend-wood-with-vinegar/ - noting that it didn't get rave reviews of its efficacy, but treating wood into a bendable state (including steaming and forcing into a desired curve) even quite thick timbers is a time-honoured boat-building method, amongst other things.

What I'd expect, from 1mm-thick wood (which can be quite bendy, even untreated) in this chemical-heavy process is that you essentially eat away the torsion-resisting structure (which contains most of the fully cross-linked mass) but leave the tension-resisting bits, then if the thin and entwining fibres that remain are embedded in a clear epoxy it gives anti-brittleness properties above what you'd get from the epoxy alone. Perhaps enough to be worthwhile.

If you've ended up with essentially colourless filaments in transparent epoxy without trapped voids (probably the most important bit), it could serve as a window. Slightly 'textured', internally, but not as bad as frosted glass to view things like landscapes through. And if the materials have less heat-transfer propensity than glass (highly likely), that'd be definitely a bonus.

Not saying I'm totally convinced by the article (and didn't yet watch the video), but it's not so far fetched as a possibility.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: February 09, 2021, 11:20:43 pm »

It denatures the lignin in the wood, which is the structure that binds the cellulose fibers together.  Without it, the fibers will shear apart easily.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: February 10, 2021, 09:08:12 am »

You don't leave it like that, though. You re-bind with epoxy before you consider doing anything like throwing stones at it.

(Going on the article - from memory - prior attempts tried to remove the colour-infused lignin, this one just treated it to bleach out the colour. But 'damages' its interlinks somewhat. And once the wash is, in turn, washed out, it probably retains some lignin cross-link, before you ramp it up by epoxying it.)

I'd like to see what epoxyed cotton wool (or even uncarded sheep wool) would be like. Perhaps with minimal preprocessing (the non-cellulose wool needs scouring to at least clean/delanolin it). If it's cellulose-only treated wood we're actually getting, to compare with, it would save the whole 'dissolve everything else!' aspect by starting with near-pure cellulose (beyond standard deseeding and other cleaning up). Though it'd also be tempting to suggest also trying this with polar bear fur (famously clear and colourless and some hairs hollow, thus having transparency; though not actually fibre-optic), either method of farming this material is probably beyond the pale.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: February 10, 2021, 09:17:42 am »

The student slaves research assistants would probably get hella extra credit for living through shaving a polar bear, though! Think of their GPA!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: February 11, 2021, 02:54:57 am »

Shave the polar bears!
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: February 16, 2021, 05:50:53 am »

The university of Delft managed to achieve a new milestone in quantum networking.

Where a stable quantum connection between 2 physcial points has already been achieved a few times, the research team in Delft now is the first to build a network connecting 3 physical points.

https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-achtergrond/wereldprimeur-delftse-fysici-bouwen-rudimentair-quantuminternet~bb42b1ac/

https://arxiv.org/abs/2102.04471

The distribution of entangled states across the nodes of a future quantum internet will unlock fundamentally new technologies. Here we report on the experimental realization of a three-node entanglement-based quantum network. We combine remote quantum nodes based on diamond communication qubits into a scalable phase-stabilized architecture, supplemented with a robust memory qubit and local quantum logic. In addition, we achieve real-time communication and feed-forward gate operations across the network. We capitalize on the novel capabilities of this network to realize two canonical protocols without post-selection: the distribution of genuine multipartite entangled states across the three nodes and entanglement swapping through an intermediary node. Our work establishes a key platform for exploring, testing and developing multi-node quantum network protocols and a quantum network control stack.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 05:52:24 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: February 16, 2021, 08:23:07 am »

Haha sweet. Did anyone figure out how to reactivate the entanglement? Last I knew triggering it broke the quantum entanglement.

Now that they can do 3's I wonder if the third could be used to reactivate the entanglement on the other two somehow. That would enable quantum radios and later quantum internet.

EDIT2: I called matched pairs of quantum communication devices quantum radios because one is sort of a broadcaster and the other a receiver. I made it up and agree it's not a the best choice of term. I think we should call them Zagfllelligons, surely that will catch on. It IS closer to spelling Zap Brannigans after all, Kif.

Spoiler: image (click to show/hide)

EDIT:

It seems it's come a long way since I last read about it. What I poorly described above are known as Quantum transfer and Quantum Repeaters. I think when I last read about Quantum entanglements, they had just figured out quantum transfer and I thought hey this would be great if they had linked sets of 3 instead of linked pairs because with 3, one could be a control for the other two somehow if that's doable and transfer the entanglement state back once it's broken by triggering the link. I don't kniow how Quantum entanglements actually work with all the math, I just know the basic form and some of the potential applications.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_teleportation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_network

https://www.livescience.com/quantum-memory-entangled-far.html
story describing theory

EDIT3: I also thought I remembered another discovery that tied these together somehow more clearly, but that may be me remembering learning about Quantum Transfer shortly after it was published a while back.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 04:57:02 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: August 31, 2021, 01:30:08 pm »

Tech news?

Maybe. So, anyway... Possibly a fake NFT, although my suspicious mind thinks it's possibly the next step up from autodestructive art, really a fake-fake real Banksy, disowned-art as a commentary of some kind after the Girl With A Balloon auction stunt the other year.

(Or, the really devious bit has me wondering if the person 'stung' is at least partly in on the whole thing, and who knows what commodity value this NFT is gaining with such a brand of anti-authenticity/non-providence, given what else passes for collctable value in this emerging market.)

Time will tell if NFTs in general are Tulip Bulbs or Vintage Wine, in the investment stakes... (Or dotCom/sub-primes, compared with (at its best) the similarly blockchained Crypto or good old fashioned gold, depending upon your tastes and interests.) It'll be interesting to know if this NFT in particular moves onwards too.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: October 30, 2021, 10:18:05 am »

(To follow-up on the above, it seems it was a true-scam not a scam-scam, despite my suspicions. Last I heard, before it dropped off the newswires behind other more trivial matters... Anyway, not her now with that in mind, here now with this in mind...)

Tell me, does this make you feel more or less optimistic about our future relationship with our robot overlords..?

;)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: October 30, 2021, 10:24:32 am »

It will be a disco inferno when they wipe us out

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: February 08, 2022, 05:05:36 am »

Tinder has been ordered to cease and desist it's practice of discriminating based on age.
A research using mystery shoppers in the Netherlands, New Zealand, the US, South Korea, India and Brasil has shown that Tinder Plus charges more fees solely based on age. The tariff difference is largest in the Netherlands, with a subscription costing 3,77 euros for young people, and 21,99 euros for old people, while the services provided are exactly the same.
This is illegal. Discrimination based on age is not allowed.

Ofcourse, don't expect Tinder Plus to drop it's prices. This will probably just mean that young people will now also have to pay 21,99 euros instead of 3,77 euros.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: February 09, 2022, 09:28:48 am »

I doubt it. Like insurance doesn't discriminate based on age.

And if it is it's bullshit, having looked into these emtpy faces 6 days a week for a year, I can tell you with confidence who I wouldn't want to serve had I my private business. Like we use to say around here when something is inaccessible: apparantly they have too much money... Well reversly no amount of money would make it worth dealing with the 50-65 crowd.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 09:31:57 am by dragdeler »
let

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: February 09, 2022, 09:35:18 am »

Insurances are an exception because their liquidity is directly proportional to how long someone is estimated to be able to pay insurance fees.

Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157]