Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Not as challenging as I thought this game would be.  (Read 2470 times)

Haymaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Not as challenging as I thought this game would be.
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2016, 05:48:20 pm »

To me, my forts get tested by the first siege if they flourish or not.

Not only you need to churn out decent amount of armors and weapons, but you do want some immigrants with weapon skills (with recruits mostly acting as meatshield) Then there's also keeping the dwarves moderately happy. Tantrum spirals happen if they eat same raw food, have no bed etc etc.

I tend to big nice good spot to embark with atleast shallow materials listed.

And thus, my issues are
A)If I get just copper, will I manage to outfit my military well enough in copper and train them good enough to withstand the iron of first gobbo siege
B)Can I get weapon/armor industry going way ahead the first siege
C) Will my mildorfs get gud?
D)Will werepersons and other nasty things avoid the settlement long enough for military to handle one of anything

Nevertheless, 2 out of 3 forts in my trap free forts survive.

My current fort almost failed after first year as bronze colossus arrived and I had only one steel weapon (got it from caravan). So, about half of military dead, my militia commander wrecked the colossus and started off a carreer badassery. Already nicknamed and has tendency to reap most kills in every siege.
 And each siege is just getting bigger and badder.. If those stop or just don't do any dent to army, I think I'll start carving a way to the caverns and hope for some special visitors to spread their syndrom full poison around.

And well finally.. There's the true test of digging deep!

But yes.. Depending on the worldgen and hwere you start and how you start.. Things either will be easy, quite difficult or "OHMYGODNOTTHEHUSKSWHYTHEYAREONFLAME"

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2016, 05:55:45 pm »

A major change in the current versions from the DF of yore is the almost complete lack of tantrum spirals. Keeping your dwarves happy used to be a major concern, and you couldn't just have them sleeping in the dirt or they'd go crazy.

With the new stress system, you have to have 50% of your fort die before anyone registers as "stressed". It seems like the pendulum swung too far in the other direction.

So an extremely simple change I make, which significantly changes the feel of the game, is to increase average stress propensity.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You can play with the numbers, but I found using those particular values makes it so that dwarves will readily get stressed/berserk if they're mistreated, but I have yet to see it spiral out of control.

I really can't recommend this change enough, it adds a little difficulty, motivation to keep your fort safe/happy, and imo is also a little more realistic.

edit: typo
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 06:53:56 pm by Chief10 »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2016, 06:09:37 pm »

A major change in the current versions from the DF of yore is the almost complete lack of tantrum spirals. Keeping your dwarves happy used to be a major concern, and you couldn't just have them sleeping in the dirt or they'd go crazy.

With the new stress system, you have to have 50% of your fort die before anyone registers as "stressed". It seems like the pendulum swung too far in the other direction.

So an extremely simple change I make, which significantly changes the feel of the game, is increase average stress propensity.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You can play with the numbers, but I found using those particular values makes it so that dwarves will readily get stressed/berserk if they're mistreated, but I have yet to see it spiral out of control.

I really can't recommend this change enough, it add's a little difficulty, motivation to keep your fort safe/happy, and imo is also a little more realistic.

Thanks for this, I just modded it in and am going to see how spectacularly my first fortress fails. . .
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 06:14:38 pm by Salmeuk »

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2016, 11:45:13 am »

I find the second siege is the real test. The first siege is usually more of a feeler, seems to be about 12-20 goblins, enough that you have to be concerned,  but even a mediocre army can fend it off with moderate losses.

The real challenge is the first 50+ goblin siege, which usually comes a year or so after the feeler siege.
Pages: 1 [2]