Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Channeling Stupidity  (Read 1792 times)

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
Channeling Stupidity
« on: August 26, 2016, 12:39:59 pm »

My dwarves can't figure out how to channel without killing themselves and each other.

I wanted to build a fortress that's entirely contained within a 20x20x20 cube, surrounded on all sides by water.  Unfortunately, when I was trying to channel out my moat, I ran into issues with job cancellations for "Dangerous Terrain".  I ignored these messages, figuring it was my dwarves standing on tiles that were due to be channeled and they'd either force a delay in the action or else harmlessly fall one z-level.

I was half-right.  I started getting combat logs consistent with falls, and then I lost three miners to head injuries.  Several others were wounded, but I at least had a hospital set up.

Is there something I'm missing about designating channels?  I also tried a few z-levels with "carve upward ramp", but after my expedition leader broke both her legs that way, I figured it wasn't helping.

Spoiler: Digging designation (click to show/hide)

Eventually, I just made a macro to designate the channels in a checkerboard pattern, so no dwarf would be standing on a tile that another dwarf was digging out.

Spoiler: Safer? (click to show/hide)
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Channeling Stupidity
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 01:06:08 pm »

I thought this was going to be an article on how to channel the primal energy of all dorfs everywhere.

Maybe into lighting bolts.

Anyway I always channel from left to right, for instance. It's tedious, but designating one row at a time in situations where cave ins are a risk will save miners.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

timotheos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 02:47:22 pm »

I find as long as you channel one level at at time it doesn't matter who is standing where. ie. Z=0 priority 1, z= -1 priority 2, Z= -2 priority 3 etc.
they'll do one level at a time and even if they do fall it is never more than one level.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 03:28:12 pm »

I find as long as you channel one level at at time it doesn't matter who is standing where. ie. Z=0 priority 1, z= -1 priority 2, Z= -2 priority 3 etc.
they'll do one level at a time and even if they do fall it is never more than one level.

I was only channeling one z-layer at a time.  There was no danger of cave-ins.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 03:35:06 pm »

I've never had any problems with channeling a single layer at a time, provided the layer below is solid (channeling through a roof is a different matter). Trees can cause issues as well.
It sounds like your dorfs are falling way further than a single level though, unless you're using some kind of mod.

MorsDux

• Bay Watcher
  • If you only have a hammer, all problems seem nails
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 04:05:17 pm »

you could try channeling 7 layers at once with each layer having higher priority - so they finish up one layer at a time?

dkcl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 04:26:57 pm »

You may want to use the new numbered priority system for designations, but it can still be a bit of a gamble when more than a single dwarf is working on risky areas.

Edit: Whoops, it seems a few people have suggested the same thing I have. :)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 04:30:14 pm by dkcl »
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 04:39:36 pm »

Since nobody is mentioning it, there's also the option of using just normal dig designation and leaving floors in place, then removing them all with caving in the top one.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 05:22:16 pm »

Since nobody is mentioning it, there's also the option of using just normal dig designation and leaving floors in place, then removing them all with caving in the top one.

I never did this.

Quite the time saver!
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Haymaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 05:41:31 pm »

Just be careful when channeling in a cave in. Atleast several alphas back a cave in punched a hole between my fort and aquifer...

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 02:10:48 am »

Just be careful when channeling in a cave in. Atleast several alphas back a cave in punched a hole between my fort and aquifer...

That's odd, since using the level directly below the aquifer causes the roof to leak, so you need a solid level between the aquifer and your fortress, and said solid level will also stop a cave-in. Also, you'd have to have channeled out the aquifer into a lake, or the aquifer layer itself would stop the cave-in. However, things might have been different "several alphas back".