Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Found my Vampire. Now what?  (Read 1481 times)

Spectre9000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Found my Vampire. Now what?
« on: August 26, 2016, 12:22:27 pm »

So, I found me a vampire. I want to make a secondary fort and populate it with vampire soldiers for some HFS fun. However, I want them to be labeled and known as vampires. How do I out a vampire without killing it or turning it hostile?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: Found my Vampire. Now what?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 12:33:04 pm »

Construct a screw pump in a sealed off space. Put the vampire in there pumping until they get legendary. Then rename their profession to "Vampire". Presto, you now have a flashing red labelled vampire.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 01:54:17 pm »

If it helps any, you can wall off vampires in rooms for years without them going crazy. One way of labeling them would be to assign them all to military squads (this would also give you greater control over their movement).

As far as I can tell vampires in an active squad will only ignore a move command if they are going to feed---and if you have been clever with your layout then all you have to do is forbid the doors leading to your dorms/apartment complex and they will then go to where you ordered them (unless some tool peasant decides to sleep in the commons area at that exact moment).
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 01:57:58 pm by Killgoth »

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 02:04:06 pm »

I don't think you can 'out' a vampire as such in fort mode, the other residents aren't able to acknowledge it yet unlike townsfolk in adventure mode.

The easiest way to segregate and label your vampires when you find them is to give them a custom profession or a nickname and then use military commands or burrows to seal them in some private rooms on their own.

Good nicknames include things like 'Urist Von Battendorf', 'Count Beardy' and 'Boozy the Bloodsucker.'
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Flintfakeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 02:28:23 pm »

Vamps can be outed if they are caught in the act but they are just treated like murderers to my knowledge. lots of stories of serial killing fort vampires who have every bone in their body broken from hammering, then heal, then feed, then get caught lather rinse repeat till vamp gets head bashed in. With the current morale systems maybe a relative to the diseased may start fights with the vampire if the hammerer doesn't /can't kill him but basically vampires aren't treated as "monsters" like werecritters are they are treated like murderers. At least in fort mode. In legend there are a lot of vamp kebabs roasting in the town squares.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 02:58:29 pm »

Also, unless you instigate a loyalty cascade by having someone of your civ kill another of your civ, vampire won't turn any more hostile to life than it already is.

Spectre9000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 04:31:05 pm »

I thought there was a way to reveal a vampire so it gets its true name, kill list, etc?

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 06:22:49 pm »

Construct a screw pump in a sealed off space. Put the vampire in there pumping until they get legendary. Then rename their profession to "Vampire". Presto, you now have a flashing red labelled vampire.

Does this overcome the weirdness associated with just nicknaming them? Like will it show up in legends mode, on engravings, etc.?

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 06:17:08 am »

You can do a few things.

- Kill them. Drop them into the caverns, make them stand under a bridge and lower it, magma, you name it. You'll lose a lot of potentional benefits though.
- Lock them into a room with a chair and a table, and assign them to be the manager and bookkeeper. They'll go crazy eventually, but if they don't have any friends, it might take a lot longer than your fortress will live.
- Sealing them off will mean that your fort can never die without you abandoning it. You will always have that one vampire sitting in his room. He will die if he goes crazy however (AFAIK - I never saw it happen), and if he has friends, he will magically know that they died, and receive a major unhappy thought.
- If you don't mind the monthly deaths of any random dwarf, you could enlist them into the militia. This is potentionally more detrimental than it is beneficial, though, since vampires seem to have a preference for dwarves with high skills, especially important ones. (cough cough) Vampires move faster, are tougher, stronger, and have superior attributes overall.
- Assign them into a one-man squad and have them explore the caverns, and any feature they might find. These features may be very interesting, but all those revealed tiles can substantially decrease FPS, which is a downside. One practical benefit to exploring the caverns is the ability to find a lot of potentional ore viens and large clusters that may have been tedious to find otherwise.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.