Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vampire Forts?  (Read 12928 times)

Spectre9000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vampire Forts?
« on: August 20, 2016, 12:07:55 pm »

I just recently came across this possibility, and was curious as to the drawbacks/benefits of such a thing? Also, what is the typical method for infecting your dwarves?

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire Forts?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 12:25:40 pm »

Oh, this is a good discussion. It's come up before, you should go find it.
So, Pros/Cons.
Pros: Everyone lives forever, needs no food/drink/sleep, gets large attribute bonuses, no skill rust, no one will be attacked by undead or other vampires (I could be wrong, but that's how it works with Adventurers), and also, it's cool. And they don't need to breathe, either, so they can't drown.
Cons: No happy thoughts from food or drink; over a thousand-year lifespan there are a LOT of unhappy thoughts that can build up; dwarves cannot GAIN skills as vampires, nor increase their attributes any farther. Also all civilized creatures will be hostile by default, so no caravans, and new dwarves may be killed before they can be vampirized.
I'm sure there's more of both, but that's what I can think of.
So, usual tricks for infection: Get a vampire to bleed into your water supply, have dwarves drink that rather than alcohol. Vampiric fortress. Ta-da.
Don't let the caravans meet anyone from your fortress though, they might kill them all.

Spectre9000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 01:35:08 pm »

My question I believe would be how do you get a vampire to bleed into your water?

Also, I've read that vampires still gain skills, though not attributes?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 01:43:39 pm »

Given that vampires tend to become mayor because of the social skills they've gained during their long life tile they can probably gain skills.
The bleeding discussion has been up several times. Basically you cause the vampire to get injured and bleed either in your existing water supply or in one you intend to set up. You'd cause it to bleed by having it getting hurt e.g. by retracting spikes, falling (onto spikes or just a hard surface), etc. Obviously, you want bleeding wounds rather than crushing. Also, the method somewhat depends on whether you want to keep it alive or not (you probably don't care much about a visitor vampire, for instance).

The caravan issue can be handled by having a split fortress with dorfs in one part ("open" to the world) and one vampire part. You might even have your normal dorfs "ascend" when reaching an advanced age. Obviously, the two parts shouldn't meet, unless you want the live ones to be used as cattle (although you can probably use actual cattle for that, by stunning them).

Spectre9000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 01:59:08 pm »

I've also read that vampires have a addiction to alcohol they can't satiate cause they don't drink beer, which leads to them being very unproductive. Is that true?

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 02:32:16 pm »

Yes.
They'll eventually probably go insane from alcohol withdrawal. Or they'll be permanently unhappy and unproductive.

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 02:37:48 pm »

Set up a tavern on the vampire side of the fort, so your vampires enjoy social drinking and your normal dwarves wont drown when their lungs fill with vomit rather than air.
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

Malakor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 03:53:09 pm »

I figured in Adv. mode a cursed vampire can also still raise attributes. Dunno if this works in fort mode, but i would suggest to infect your dorfs with the blood of an cursed one, just incase! (Dunno if the curse effect will be given thru thier blood tho or if they would just turn into regular vampires.)

With using Legends Viewer you can figure out if given vampire dorf is cursed or regular/turned.

Or you just get an adventurer dorf, turn him into a vampire by toppling a statue at a temple and sacrifice yourself in the watersource of your current fort. Might take multiple tries since deities also curse you to be an wereanimal.
(If thats not too "cheaty" for ya!)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 04:30:36 pm »

There is 1 significant disadvantage which I have found makes a fully Vampire Fortress unappealing.  Dwarves are still alcohol-dependent, and will suffer withdrawal.  The longer a Dwarf goes without booze, the slower it becomes.  Performing any meaningful tasks like mining or building a door will take ages.  That said, having a small group of Vampires segregated from the main Fortress can be a tremendous asset.

Keaman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 10:49:02 pm »

There is 1 significant disadvantage which I have found makes a fully Vampire Fortress unappealing.  Dwarves are still alcohol-dependent, and will suffer withdrawal.  The longer a Dwarf goes without booze, the slower it becomes.

With the addition of taverns (and visiting bards that apply for citizenship) you should be able to make human vampires who won't have the alcohol-dependent tag.  I've been working on this in my current fort, was held up due to a lack of vampires (had to make my own using building destroyers and temple statues).

Granted it'll take a couple of years, and all the usual caveats still apply (lack of happy thoughts from food/booze) but they won't slow down.  And it won't be the entire Fort unless all of your dwarves have an unfortunate accident... which is an intriguing thought...

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 03:23:15 am »

There is 1 significant disadvantage which I have found makes a fully Vampire Fortress unappealing.  Dwarves are still alcohol-dependent, and will suffer withdrawal.  The longer a Dwarf goes without booze, the slower it becomes.

With the addition of taverns (and visiting bards that apply for citizenship) you should be able to make human vampires who won't have the alcohol-dependent tag.  I've been working on this in my current fort, was held up due to a lack of vampires (had to make my own using building destroyers and temple statues).

You can make your own vampires in fort mode?? How does this work? Do visitors who knock over temples in your fortress get cursed too?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 04:09:04 am »

Any named intelligent being who topples a statue in a temple may get cursed by mean, cursing, moon-howling & vamping gods. Get a troll, have it kill someone's pet to get a name, then give it special temple to topple in.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 05:28:01 am »

There is 1 significant disadvantage which I have found makes a fully Vampire Fortress unappealing.  Dwarves are still alcohol-dependent, and will suffer withdrawal.  The longer a Dwarf goes without booze, the slower it becomes.  Performing any meaningful tasks like mining or building a door will take ages.  That said, having a small group of Vampires segregated from the main Fortress can be a tremendous asset.
Vampires will accept and drink booze handed to them by a tavern keeper/performer.

Keaman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2016, 10:53:40 am »

Any named intelligent being who topples a statue in a temple may get cursed by mean, cursing, moon-howling & vamping gods. Get a troll, have it kill someone's pet to get a name, then give it special temple to topple in.

Yep.  And, uh, put the whole operation behind a drawbridge maybe.  The night creature strength buff makes things like Ettin werecreatures or Cave Ogre vampires into a real PITA if they get loose, and if it's a werecritter they become trap immune when they turn >.>

Vampires will accept and drink booze handed to them by a tavern keeper/performer.

Well heck, this changes everything.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2016, 12:36:30 pm »

Way back in DFVD I invented the method that I think is still the most popular, the well of unlife. You build a 1x1 room with a lever operated spike trap, you get a vampire to stand inside the room, you pull the lever until there's blood everywhere, and then you designate the chamber to be filled as a pond. Build a well over that, forbid all the booze, and your dwarves will drink the blood tainted water thereby becoming vampires.
Pages: [1] 2