Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 31

Author Topic: Sneaktunnels, a CATastrophic dungeon  (Read 70931 times)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Re: Sneaktunnels, a CATastrophic dungeon
« Reply #165 on: September 25, 2016, 02:56:26 am »

Sorry I was planning to post it yesterday but the guests stayed longer than expected.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

StelarCF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 25, 2016, 05:24:55 am »

Hey, add me to the waitlist - this sounds like fun.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 25, 2016, 08:21:42 am »

7th Hematite
Cool!

11th Hematite
Yes!

12th Hematite
Oh no! I’m not letting this guy live forever.

19th Hematite
To train our military better I’ve send them crundle hunting into the caverns

23rd Hematite
The crundle hunting dwarfs found where the magma crabs came from. Now this is great because how the magma formed lets us set up a trap that every creature wanting to pass around the lake will have to go through.

24th Hematite

A forgotten beast. This time from the first caverns. It went straight for our pasturing area. It killed a few animals, but also took some damage (especially from the donkey) Our first death was a shearer. I was getting scared, because the military wasn’t there and the beast was almost in the central fortress. I ordered the pulling of a lever in order to reroute the beast through another area and give the military time to get it. Many citizens rushed to fight the beast including glittergold who’s head was cut off. Finally Gratjon Umber (I don’t know if he got this nickname for killing something or he was just called like this by one of the overseers), our swordsdwarf cut its head off. The battle took 3 days  and we are down to 89 citizens.

1st Malachite
Coffins are a big part of the fortress nowadays and when passing by the graveyard I noticed something weird. There was a grave to Salmeuk. I ordered our stonecrafter to research into his death and engrave a stone slab. I wonder how he died.

4th Malachite
Migrants came, only a few so not a big increase.

7th Malachite
I assigned the bedroom, office and dining room after Glittergold to the new major.

12th Malachite
We are getting closer to the blue stone.

13th Malachite
It turns out Salmeuk was killed by Caqui.

28th Malachite

Oh shit. It looks like during my overseeing the hell dungeon became hell on earth that every hellish thing loves. At least the only one who died was the speardwarf, beaten to death by children. Meanwhile it looks like I’ve smelt another dwarf with our dwarf smelting machine. We are down to 96 dwarfs.

4th Galena
Our cave crocodile locked in a cage reverted to a wild state.

11th Galena
We are really low on drink and it worries me that we might soon run out of booze.

13th Galena
Our new farming area is dug out.

17th Galena
We are making booze again.

22nd Galena
Our dwarves murdered a poor cave toad today.

26th Galena
I feel like something bad might happen.

29th Galena
Well, there was a revolution against my ruling. I gave myself in before anybody died. It’s end of me overseeing for now. The next overseer was the leader of the revolution. He is a follower of the dead Carfulrogue and he blames his death on me. Well, I guess I deserve this for killing all those poor dwarfs. But soon enough I hope to get my throne back…

To the next overseer:
When the caravan comes buy wood and silver and weapons and armor and any fucking shit you want. We need more drinks so you should take care of that. Also when something attacks from above let it come. We’ve got shit ton of traps waiting for it. DON’t bother and I repeat don’t bother sending our military cause there will be deaths. If something attacks from below either let it come for the traps and have the military ready or if it’s trap avoid send the military right away.

Do the guys who died want to be put on the waitlist?
((Gonna update the player list after the answer.))
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 05:36:53 pm by snow dwarf »
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 25, 2016, 10:58:40 am »

Hm. Ghostly visitor? Do you still have the body?

This makes me wonder if a ghostly herbalist with no relations could keep gathering plants in plant gathering zones. Would need a dead civ + embark with 7 herbalists so that you get more to test.

Wow, that's some sweet geography on dat pipe.

..Hairy cobra?

Well, it looks like it will go down relatively quickly.

...Sending unarmed dwarves to fight a FB is still not the best decision. Even a salt one can kick somebody in half, even if they shatter apart from a punch.

Farming is really dark in that tileset/color scheme.

Just saying, I saw the forumite-possessed dwarves dying before they'd have a turn from the first post.

neriractor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 25, 2016, 05:46:40 pm »

24th Hematite

...Many citizens rushed to fight the beast including glittergold who’s head was cut off...

yikes, I kinda liked my head :-\  ¡FUN! year anyway :D

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 25, 2016, 10:39:28 pm »

24th Hematite

...Many citizens rushed to fight the beast including glittergold who’s head was cut off...

yikes, I kinda liked my head :-\  ¡FUN! year anyway :D
Ok so you were glittergold. (I kind of forgot who was who.)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 26, 2016, 01:11:01 am »

1st Malachite
Coffins are a big part of the fortress nowadays and when passing by the graveyard I noticed something weird. There was a grave to Salmeuk. I ordered our stonecrafter to research into his death and engrave a stone slab. I wonder how he died.

13th Malachite
It turns out Salmeuk was killed by Caqui.

Journal of Salmeuk, 24th Hematite

It's been too long since I've had the time to write in this journal. I've spent a lot of time architecting and whatnot. I think some things happened, but nothing so thingy as to be worth mentioning. I like it that way, you know? A whole lot of nothing. I could live a long, fulfilling life this way. Marry some dwarfess, buy a car, a house, kids maybe. I've always wanted to learn to fish.

Wait, is that screaming I hear? What could be . . .

The last page is soaked in blood and studded with chunks of gore. A few strands of long, ropey hair are stuck in the dried blood.

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 27, 2016, 09:32:01 pm »

I hope I can get an update up in a day or two, I need to make some revisions to my journals, with the compounding of Snow's entry. I should be able to get my entire turn done by this weekend. 
EDIT grammar
I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 29, 2016, 01:51:22 pm »

Fall update.  Will figure out pictures and then repost.

Journal of Northwinds Mirror-drill
28th Galena, 253
I’ve had enough.  Everything has gone to hell all too quickly.  Two of our founders died, killed in the chaos that ensued when someone gave the order to kill the philosophers and scholars.  A bloody mess.  In the time since, it has only gotten worse.  A forgotten beast showed up, and while it was dealt with, it is still something we need to deal with.  It is time I think for a change in leadership.  I voluntarily joined the militia, as a swordsman.  As we teeter closer and closer to the end, the military will be what holds us strong.  Now, I need to gather my loyal friends to dethrone Snow. 

Events from 29th Galena, 253
Northwinds had passed the signal to his friends, and they advanced on the door where they had seen Snow disappear into.  To pray likely.  Now was figured to be the best opportunity to ambush him. 

With a few whistles and the clamor of arms and armor, they moved into the room, and surrounded a very surprised dwarf. 

“What’s going on?!” he asked, panicked. 

“We got sick of the chaos that is unfolding around us,” one of the marksdwarves said.  She was nervous, he knew the signs, but she was pushing it down as best she could.  “You failed.  We’ll try our bets on another person.”

“Who?  Who will be replacing me?” he asked, now wary.

“Me,” Northwinds said.  He stepped out a ways, to clarify.  He had borrowed the sword he carried from one of his friends, and rested a hand on it, hoping it appeared calm and collected.  Snow didn’t appear to notice. 

1st Limestone, 253
First order of business, expand the military, and equip them.  It won’t matter how well we are with a sword if we get cut down with single strike.  And, if we die, we can’t protect anyone else.  In a few days, I’ll return to check on our progress.

11th Limestone, 253
Sometimes I wonder how the heck I managed to find my way around this place it’s a maze.  I had to ask a dozen people where to find the security switch, and even then I’m not sure I’ll be able to find it again.  Hopefully someone else remembers.  I’m considering having someone draft plans to alter the architecture, but I think that’s a little drastic.

19th Limestone, 253
So… a dwarf liquified himself.  We heard screaming down where the track that hauls magma up to the upper levels begins.  Magma was everywhere, as was smoke.  We’re not sure exactly, but it seems Gwolfski was the victim.  I’ve ordered the entire operation to halt until I can get someone to tell me what went wrong. 

This is just great.

25th Limestone, 253
I’ve ordered parts of our fortress to be smoothed.  Little of interest has occurred, besides some unusual discussion wafting from the library.  Seeing all of the scholars, the cause of the civil unrest, I decreed that we would allow only long term residents, and citizens to use the library.  Hopefully that’ll keep them away for now.

1st Sandstone, 253
Seems we aren’t the only one with issues.  Conquests from enemies, and political change of hands.  Family change of hands. 

I’m certain no one will really care that we overthrew our overseer.  They won’t, right?

2nd Sandstone,  253
A group of migrants came over one of the ridges today.  About ten I think, with a few that explained they had a few military skills, another that claimed to be a doctor, of sorts, and a miner. 

13th Sandstone, 253
So it appears that some kidnappers came to harass as.  All we really lost were a handful of animals, nothing too important.  It could very much be worse.

A mechanic also apparently couldn’t take the sight of our corpse stockpile.  We really should bury those poor sods.

1st Timber, 253
The migrants and still in terrible shock at the state of things.  Hopefully they recover.

20th Timber, 253
Seems Great Jon has has grown attached to the weapon he carries.  Heck, he ever refers to it with a name!

« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 03:56:43 pm by Carefulrogue »
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 29, 2016, 02:52:23 pm »

Uh. Badly-placed corpse stockpile can end a fort. I suggest you make dealing with it a priority.

But sounds chaotic. If you hate levers, maybe change the entrances to automatic?

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 29, 2016, 03:49:57 pm »

Uh. Badly-placed corpse stockpile can end a fort. I suggest you make dealing with it a priority.

But sounds chaotic. If you hate levers, maybe change the entrances to automatic?
If it gets really bad I'll move, it but I think we're good.

My only problem with the lever was that I couldn't find it, and didn't know off the top of my head which symbol is the default image.  Thanks to whoever built it and left a note.  I still consider hooking up my own lever, and redesigning a more organized fortress in some stone shelf. I honestly don't know where anything is, and whether or not I'll be able to find anything again. 

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 30, 2016, 01:42:04 am »

20th Timber, 253
Seems Great Jon has has grown attached to the weapon he carries.  Heck, he ever refers to it with a name!

What's the name though?

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 30, 2016, 02:52:19 pm »

20th Timber, 253

What's the name though?
I meant to include the picture, but I can't quite figure out how. 
EDIT: This is gonna be painful.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 03:04:45 pm by Carefulrogue »

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 30, 2016, 06:30:24 pm »

Go to imgur, upload a Picture, get the BBcode and post It Here. That's How It's done. Just upload the Picture on imgur and you will figure it out from there.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 02, 2016, 06:34:02 pm »

Ok carefulrogue, your time is over. I'm Pming the next Player.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 31