Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 31

Author Topic: Sneaktunnels, a CATastrophic dungeon  (Read 70717 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sneaktunnels, a CATastrophic dungeon [RECRUITING]
« Reply #225 on: October 15, 2016, 04:42:11 pm »

"Hi, what's your name and profession?"

Mea writes down information on a cat leather parchment in dimple dye ink

"A planter, you say--quite a few of those around here."

"Why I am writing all these down?  So you will be remembered when things go south."

"Uh huh.  Don't fret over the details.  How do you feel about weapons?"

"Next!"
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 04:54:57 pm by Sanctume »

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 15, 2016, 09:21:50 pm »

Wait, so Onciblu is dead?
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 15, 2016, 09:35:35 pm »

Mother's milk in a cup!  So much for my pleasantries.
I catch that reference. 

And same question as Snow.  Where is Onciblu?  Did everything go up  that fast?
I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 15, 2016, 09:41:25 pm »

I do not see a named dwarf with Onciblu in the last save.  Can you guys double-check?

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 15, 2016, 11:22:58 pm »

I do not see a named dwarf with Onciblu in the last save.  Can you guys double-check?
check the obituaries dead and missing list. 
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.

onciblu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 16, 2016, 07:05:23 am »

Onciblu is a illusion, an alter ego of zast.
Ô_ quack

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 17, 2016, 05:24:56 am »

A dead kitten on the ramps. Dreadful. Not the most dreadful, but....

At least I see some wealth. Mess of a military though.

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 17, 2016, 10:02:20 am »

A dead kitten on the ramps. Dreadful. Not the most dreadful, but....

At least I see some wealth. Mess of a military though.
Yeah, I looked at the military and thought we didn't have enough recruits.  However, I'm not sure how badly cross-training would effect the overall readiness of the unit, so I ended up recruiting only a few.  Now... eh, not my problem, for a few turns.  Honestly, I could barely find the farms, and I thought the crypts were one square bedrooms! 

Next time though, I think everyone will get drafted.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 17, 2016, 10:24:18 am »

ooc - I have plenty of game notes over the weekend, and I am re-reading the entire thread, so let's find out the named dwarfs and their status before I update Chapter 1 hopefully tonight.

Mid-Spring 254

The Council. Player Forumite "Character,Title" (status)
1. Sanctume as "Sanctumea, Blacksmith Mea" (alive)
2. Carefulrogue as "Northwinds, Mayor Northwinds" (alive)
3. Vikram as "top miner?" (dead)
4. Snow Dwarf as "Snow" (alive)
5. speciesunkn0wn as "speciesunkn0wn, Spear SpeciesUnk" (alive)
6. Arcvasti as "Arcvasti II, King of All Cats" (alive)
7. Onciblu as "Zast, Capt of the Guard" (alive)

The Named Dwarf. Forumite "Character,Title" (status)
1. jrrocks1 as "Greatjon Umber" (dead)
2. neriractor as "Glittergold" ? (dead)
3. Gwolfski as "Gwolfski" (dead)
4. Salmeuk as "Salmeuk" (dead)
5. Pikachu17 as "Pikachu17,Zealot of Stettad" (alive)

Stettad Kithalotil Kovest Letmos "Stettad Azurejade the Pearl of Cobalt" is a deity of The Book of Packing.
Stettad most often takes the form of a female dwarf and is associated with jewels and wealth.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 08:55:34 pm by Sanctume »

onciblu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 17, 2016, 11:17:22 am »

I don't know if I did metion, but vikran went missing after the beast died. Just after I said no named dwarf died.
Ô_ quack

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 17, 2016, 12:05:05 pm »

Just a small thing, but was there ever an explanation for the transfer of power?  I was a military dictator before onciblu's turn, and now we are a council?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 17, 2016, 12:38:08 pm »

Mea just refer to it as The Council for lack of better name to a rotating list of overseers. 

Does someone have a TLDR on how we came to be "in charge" ?

Something the King said go, but no walls to shut anyone out.

Then ?

Then some library / rebellion?

Then cats, or was that before the library revolt?

Then ?

I'll try to re-read again, lol.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 17, 2016, 01:59:35 pm »

Prologue: The Nobility of Sneaktunnels

“History reveals that peasants need the guiding hands of nobility.”
-- Urist, Cabalruled, date unknown

A cat leather parchment in dimple dye ink.

1. Salmeuk
"I'm done ordering people about, or so Gwolfski tells me. Apparently everyone got together and agreed my architectural advice was no longer needed. They felt I had proved impractical during my year as overseer, and decided to bring Gwolfski in to replace me (apparently this guy, a freaking planter, is some bastion of prudent decision making. Who knew)."
-- Salmeuk, Sneaktunnels, Winter, 250.

2. Gwolfski
"Well Armok damn it. I'm in charge of this hellhole dungeon now. I'll have a look about." Gwolfski
-- Gwolfski, Sneaktunnels, Spring, 251.

3. Arcvasti
"Since Gwolfski is stepping down, I was overwhelmingly voted in.  If I hadn't obtained the cat and chicken vote, no one would have voted for me at all. Who's crazy now? No one else took a moment's thought for them, but *I* did."
-- Arcvasti, Sneaktunnels, 26 Moonstone, 252.

"One of my dogs had puppies. Adorable. There’s a huge dog pack following me around now. Which come to think about it, is one reason why I won’t be reelected. Or, rather, why I WASN’T reelected. I’ve officially been replaced as leader of this fortress. Which is all for the better, honestly. There are more interesting projects for me to pursue with my time. In about a week, once I get my affairs in order, I’ll turn over command completely."
-- Arcvasti, Sneaktunnels, 26 Moonstone, 252.

4. Snow Dwarf
"Finally, I will soon be in control of this hell-hole. I would be an overseer sooner, if the six scums that came with me didn't make up a "dwarven tradition" that the founder doesn't rule till at least the fourth election. I made sure I win the fourth election, by spreading word that the fortress is supported by a single wall I can dig any time. It's good to be the miner sometimes, ain't it.
I'm not officially in control yet, but Arcvasti gave up his rule before the end of the year and I get to rule sooner."
-- Snow, Sneaktunnels, Mid-Winter, 252.

"Well, there was a revolution against my ruling. I gave myself in before anybody died. It’s end of me overseeing for now. The next overseer was the leader of the revolution. He is a follower of the dead Carfulrogue and he blames his death on me. Well, I guess I deserve this for killing all those poor dwarfs. But soon enough I hope to get my throne back…"
-- Snow, Sneaktunnels, Late Summer, 252.

5. Carefulrogue
"I’ve had enough.  Everything has gone to hell all too quickly.  Two of our founders died, killed in the chaos that ensued when someone gave the order to kill the philosophers and scholars.  A bloody mess.  In the time since, it has only gotten worse.  A forgotten beast showed up, and while it was dealt with, it is still something we need to deal with.  It is time I think for a change in leadership.  I voluntarily joined the militia, as a swordsman.  As we teeter closer and closer to the end, the military will be what holds us strong.  Now, I need to gather my loyal friends to dethrone Snow."
-- Northwinds, Sneaktunnels, Late Summer, 252.

"Shit.  SHIT.  Close the gates, find the fucking lever, there is no time.  A giantess was appeared on the ridge.  Eges Freeflier the Breach of (the last got cut off) was the reported name given to this beast according to the hunter scouts.  This could go poorly.  I’m certain we can bring it down, but if a critical dwarf dies, we could be held back many months to try and catch up.  For now, we can only do our part.
…. False alarm.  It stepped over our traps that we had setup, and instantly the cage sprung down to render the monster trapped.... I guess some of the traps were armed…"
-- Northwinds, Sneaktunnels, Mid-Winter, 253.

6. onciblu
"The power that guides the dungeon operate oddly. When we were arriving for settle the business Salmeuk exclaimed "The firsts will be the firsts, the lasts will be the lasts" and sprinted to the brook, claiming the place and the command. Then Gwolfski, and the others. I found all of this silly and arrived last. Since then they call me Zast.

Some of the starting seven are not between as anymore, or shouldn't at least. When Carfulrogue  would be the next of line a motin broke and he died trying to contain the rebelers and the demon-worshipers. Now he came back from the dead to claim the command and harass us. Surprisingling people have accepted well the weightless overseer. The next one would be Gittergold, I can only hope he is well buried. We have too many working hands to be doing menial tasks, and I still have the same meager quarters. Not to mettion I don't fell same in the middle of the fortress, which is very accessible for any dangers that may find us. Perhaps I can do than hope..."
-- Zast, Sneaktunnels, Late Winter, 253.

"We are now with 99 dwarfs alive. I think. Berfore the visit we had 129. I am starting to fear for the mental health of our citzen."
-- Zast, Sneaktunnels, Mid-Spring, 254.

7. Sanctume
"Disputes among the overseers must end, and thus I formed The Council for lack of better term which eliminates the voting of the peasants of their ruler; and turn such matters for the nobility to decide about the affairs of Sneaktunnels.  Yes, I consider myself nobility of Sneaktunnels, and thus I take my first reign over its citizens."
--Sanctumea, Sneaktunnels, Mid-Spring, 254.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 17, 2016, 06:34:11 pm »

Interesting. So, the prime problems of SneakTunnels would be discord and democracy.

Somehow, I find that statement reassuring.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 17, 2016, 09:07:07 pm »

Ch 1: The Citizens of Sneaktunnels

Mid-Spring 254
in a meager quarters
“Is it audacious and too ambitious, dear husband, to put our family in a position of nobility?”

My husband speciesunkn0wn shrugs and straps his steel spear onto his back, “I feel so good!  I’m late for practice.”

Left alone to myself, I speak to my reflection on a piece of polished silver bar. 

“Hi! I am Sanctumea.”

“Hi, I am Mea, how are you today?”

“I created The Council, and put myself first in line to take charge of Sneaktunnels’ affairs so that the peasants, I mean citizens can go on about pursuing their desires for master work, or a work of art, or raising family, or a skill.  I will ensuring the safety survival of The Council and Sneaktunnels.”

“Not bad,” I muttered to myself.

The disputes among the past rulers takes a toll on our thriving society and city.  Sure, I eliminate the voting of the peasants of their overseer, and turn these matters for us nobility to decide on. 

Yes, I made myself nobility of Sneaktunnels, so that I am taking my first reign over its citizens, right at this moment.

--
in a modest office
Still, there is voting for the position of mayor.  Speaking of mayor…

“How are you doing today, Mayor Northwind?”

Northwind smiles and returns a pleasant greeting, “I taught dodging.  That was very satisfying!”

I smile in return, “Isn’t this ideal?  You can be mayor and have such nice office like this, and will have time to pursue practicing martial skills.”

Northwind bows, “I will take my leave, I’m off to sword practice, Mea.”

--
in the forge work area
“How are you doing today, Captain Zast?”

Zast replies, “Just Zast, Mea.  I was never one to follow advice.”

*awkward* “Okay, so how’s the metal works?”

“I wanted to make some armor but it is crowded here and not enough forge.”

“I see what you mean, and I do plan to expand the forge as my priority.  Are you glad you agree to The Council?  You can have your office as Captain of the Guard, and still pursue your martial skills.”

Zast nods as she finally starts working on one of the two magma forge currently in service.

--
outside The Armored House library
Arcvasti II, “King of All Cats" is quite content helping in the farms and kitchen, and most specially training the caged captives.

“Hi Arcvasti II, how do you like being a squad member of The Sneak Hand?”

“I learned dodging.  How incredibly interesting!”

“That sounds great.  Do you thinks it’s ideal…”

“Sorry, on the run.  Talk to you later Mea!”
*3 cats and 4 dogs chase after Arcvasti II*

--
Who am I kidding?  I am taking charge to save my own arse, and my remaining kid, and my husband speciesunkn0wn who is good at stabbing with his spear. 

I spent time looking over each personnel and I meticulously assigned these peasants their proper labor. 

*sigh* I will have to tell them what jobs they can and cannot do for the sake of efficiency!

The previous record keeper was busy training in the squad now, so I appointed peasants to handle the noble jobs: Unib Overgems is now “Bookkeeper Unib” and Stukos is now “Manager Stukos”.

I also filled the position chief medical dwarf; Uzol is now ”CMD Uzol”, and with be assisted by “Nurse Cerol”, a dabbling health care provider.

I met with the food union representatives.  There is an overabundance of prepared food, but low count of booze. 

The books shows:
   534 raw mussels
   174 eggs
   836 plants
   2571 prepared meals
   0 cheese
   368 seeds
   198 drinks

There are just many food services professions.  Hey, it’s working as far as meals go.  I’m not here to ruin the food union gig.  I am just pointing out that booze should be more abundant.  I’ll make suggestions now, and we will see how we fare by winter’s end.  I will assign each of you a professional title, so in case there is a mishap report, you can be easily identified.

I hope to remember to make use of 165 tallow for soap.

Military Supply:
   35 weapons
   347 ammo   
   0 backpack
   7 quivers

I am disturbed by the lack of battle-axes and personnel who know how to use them.

Stones
   78 gold nugget
   233 silver nuggets
   328 tetrahedrites
   43 magnetite

29 Gabbro,
   2 quartzite,
   36 orthoclase,
   6 rutile

I suppose that is healthy enough for now if they can be hauled closer to where they are needed.

Other
   0 goblets
   0 toys

Pathetic.

Spoiler: Personnel Roster (click to show/hide)

I will have to re-visit the military reorganization later.  First and foremost, I need to find out the availability of iron or steel and my work area.

One magma smelter that has 200+ iron bars, 40+ silver bars.  No flux available in seems, so iron will have to do.  A supply of copper from tetrahedrite will also be in abundance.

There are pits in the forge area in anticipation of magma pouring by minecart, but there is only 1 empty iron minecart and 1 iron minecart submerges in the pit of magma down in z-18.

These magma forges are on z+101, that is about 120 z-levels worth of travel.  I figure z+39 will be an acceptable “rest stop” for the magma minecart haul.  I discuss my plans with “Miner Snow”, whom I am friend terms with.  She seems to be content in following my plans for a “rest stop” halfway between the magma sea and this forge area. 

Spoiler: Rest Stop (click to show/hide)

--
I proceed to travel deep down Sneaktunnels and examine the magma source, and find out if there is room for magma filling and draining facility.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 06:46:17 pm by Sanctume »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 31