Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 31

Author Topic: Sneaktunnels, a CATastrophic dungeon  (Read 70929 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Sneaktunnels, a CATastrophic dungeon
« Reply #285 on: October 25, 2016, 08:54:55 pm »

Mm. I don't have absolute perfect and complete understanding of minecarts either, but what I linked has more to do with checkpoint effect.

Low speed linear approximation*: a minecart that leaves a valid track/ramp to a flat track or track/ramp with different opening to floor will always enter and move to the end of the that tile in the movement direction in a single step. If it crosses the border, it also loses whatever acceleration it gained on said tile.

That's also why it uses the two opposing-aligned ramp pits on the magma loading setup and before every corner: it's so that cart can ascend without losing speed on first ramp it enters on ascension, as the ramp it exits upwards is checkpointed through, along with every ramp after that.

The ramp it enters the pit on, of course, provides acceleration, as all valid ramps accelerate horizontally towards the floor exit rather than in any downwards sense. (With magma trench having 1 more ramp instead of floor because magma causes friction - it wouldn't be able to leave at all when full.)

*Not quite valid when moving faster than 1 tile/step or on corner ramps.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 08:57:30 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 25, 2016, 10:56:22 pm »

Let's put it as this simply.  If I redesign it, it's gonna involve a ramp that would give some of the best roller coasters' a run for their money, hit the magma, and then start up a ramp a short ways before leveling out and coming to a stop.  This is the ideal result.  Very likely I will liquidate several dwarves in the process.  I'm not sure it'll work, but I'm not gonna settle for hauling magma up in masterwork wheelbarrows, that turn to ash as they are being  hauled.  If I can find anything again.  That's a legitimate concern at the moment.
I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"

onciblu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 26, 2016, 04:03:29 am »

Acceleration ramps on magma are tricky. I made one that would make the min minecart stop middle below lava or launch it full speed trough a not pre planned exit this after a lot of tweaking. If I would make it again rollers would be the way to go.
Ô_ quack

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 26, 2016, 02:05:34 pm »

Well, I have 3 ramps, 2 submerged, for both pushing and low-speed automation.

Though as far as high-speed powerless designs go iirc Larix prefers to use single-tile frictionless ramps so that next minecarts bumps previous one out, enters with slight acceleration from a ramp and then has more time to fill up again than it would if it just went through briefly. Requires different ascending and descending tracks but has it's appeal.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 28, 2016, 11:34:23 pm »

Any news carefulrogue?
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 28, 2016, 11:50:00 pm »

Any news carefulrogue?
Uh, I haven't begun.  When's the end date for my turn?
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 29, 2016, 02:33:06 am »

Well, the rules doesn't have IRL term limits, but glancing at OP they've usually been week-ish or bit more for previous overseers, including you.

I think snow asked due the silence, but that's pretty understandable in the middle of the week.

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 31, 2016, 02:20:24 pm »

Probably best to skip me fellas.  I never got around to doing more than peeking into the save, and only wrote a very small piece based on my little observations. Have a good one. 

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 01, 2016, 08:14:41 am »

Probably best to skip me fellas.  I never got around to doing more than peeking into the save, and only wrote a very small piece based on my little observations. Have a good one.
Ok, vikram's turn. Pming him.... Wait it says he hasn't been active from August. Is it even possible?!?!
Edit: I think we might be better skipping him...
Edit Edit: Yeah, his last post was here two months ago... Skipping him, I guess my turn...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 08:16:56 am by snow dwarf »
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 01, 2016, 10:10:18 am »

I'd like my re-dwarf to fulfil as many of the following conditions as possible. I still want a turn by the way.
  • soldier
  • hammerdwarf
  • awesome deity, that s/he is a zealot of.
  • multiple family members in the fort, all of which than named PikachuX where X is a number not yet used. after the current Pikachu17 dies, one of them gets the title
  • random skills that do nothing in fort mode, like tracking, and druid, and military tactics.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 04, 2016, 07:33:20 pm »

Taking a look at the save, and is the OP supposed to look like this with your idea @Sanctume

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 04, 2016, 08:38:32 pm »

Yeah, that should help keep track of player list, and named dwarfs. 
I'm looking forward to your updates!

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 04, 2016, 09:14:21 pm »

Hah! So statues of Snow burning books are still being made and I just noticed that snow is called Learnchamber. It all goes well with her obseesion on scholars

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 06, 2016, 04:11:35 am »

So I played an in game month, but I think I unfortunately won't be able to finish a year, Civilization 6 homework took all my time. Pming Speciesunkn0wn.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 07, 2016, 03:29:24 am »

So speciesunkn0wn hasn't been active since october Pming Arcvasti.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 31