Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 31

Author Topic: Sneaktunnels, a CATastrophic dungeon  (Read 70729 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sneaktunnels, a dwarven dungeon - succession fortress.
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2016, 06:00:19 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Her expression + your post is hilarious.

And yes Carefulrogue, the year is 250! Though now it's 251, if you can believe it. . .

---

Diary of Salmeuk, Day 95

It's scorching outside, now that Summer is here. Too hot for this beard of mine. Funny story, but I only started growing it after my true love was stolen from me by a rival architect. I fell into a deep depression and stopped shaving, or bathing, or doing much of anything really. Seven years later and this is the first time I've thought to shave it off, but I can't until we find some iron. No one seems willing to explore the caverns alone. I suggested we chuck a few of the kittens (which have grown into some very fuzzy cats, actually) into the darkness, but Arcvasti got a bit defensive. He still hasn't told us why he brought so many cats.

Anyways, considering that a few of our migrants arrived with considerable skill in weaponry I decided to carve out a space for them to train. Carefulrogue wanted in, and so now we have the three of them training just below the entrance.

Day 101

One of the cats has taken to our new farmer:

Day 115

It's getting a bit dull around here. There's not much excitement beyond getting spectacularly drunk, and even then we have no space to dance so I end up just getting into meaningless arguments. For a while I would go topside and survey the dunes for spies, but it's too hot now. Also, last time I went up there I saw some disfigured beasts hanging out by the bridge:

These "camels," as Glittergold named them (he went on and on about the southern fortresses using them to pull their caravans across the mountain passes. *yawn*), were so horrendous and misshapen I had a nightmare that night. Camels killed everyone except me, and started nibbling on my feet, eating me toe by toe, limb by limb.

Frankly, I miss that tortoise. At least it was slow. . .

Day 151
Iron! Coal! We've found it all!

It was Carefulrogue who spotted the minerals, as he went out to chop some trees for our stocks. There is a lot of magnetite and a little coal, but the only problem is how far removed the clusters are. We'll have to carve some new passages to tap into these deposits. Snow gets to work.

Day 156

Progress on the dining hall and food stocks:

Day 185

Summer came and went, and we finished quite a bit:

Bedrooms:

Dining Hall, Manager's office, and a soon-to-be-filled well:

Glittergold has been anxious lately. The caravan could arrive any day now, and he's worried that his skills are a bit rusty. We're planning on trading a number of mechanisms for beer and whatnot, though we have to see what they bring us.

I wish they would come already, I'm sick of living off this barley wine - it tastes like burnt grass and cathair. I miss good Dwarven ale.

Day 194

The caravan! It's arrived! Glittergold rushed up to greet them while we all brought up the mechanisms. As agreed, he requested that next time they bring alcohol, wood, and weapons. They agreed to a higher price for certain goods:

The carvan brought an assortment of goods, and we purchased things as follows:

(3) kinds of glass, in case of strange moods
(9) barrels of assorted alcohol. Delicious!
(3) bolts of cloth, derived from both plants and silk
(10) kinds of meat
(1) steel spear, for Greatjon
(1) steel sword, for speciesunkn0wn
(1) rooster in a nickel cage

The trade was a great success. Our three military dwarves have proper weapons now. We're prepared for one of those strange moods that strike randomly. And, if we're so inclined, we can raise new chickens now that we have a rooster to fertilize all those eggs.

Before they left, the caravan driver slipped us a sheaf of papers. Apparently, one of Carefulrogues colleagues back home was looking through some historical records, hoping to pin down just how screwed Sneaktunnels really is, and happened upon some disturbing info.  There are no longer any elves next door at Lizardveil, and in fact the place has been abandoned for over 70 years. One of the many Rocs that roam our continent tore the place to shreds, leaving nothing but dead elves and a few cacti. Lizardveil has been empty ever since.

Truth be told, I have no idea if that is good news. I suppose the Roc is the lesser of two evils, but then again. . .

Day 243

More migrants arrived today. Predictably useless.

1 lye maker
2 fishery workers
1 strand extractor

I put them to work engraving, with one being assigned as my apprentice mason.

Day 244

This journal page is waterstained and slightly crumpled

There's a dead dwarf in the cistern. More importantly, I almost died. Let me tell you how it happened.

Arcvasti flooded the farms in the morning, as scheduled.

Being an engineer, he noted that the water would take some time to drain away and we should stay out of the farmrooms.

I had forgotten this rather important fact, and in my search for stone I casually strolled through the farm door. I was immediately washed into the half-full cistern. I've never stepped foot in a pool of water in my life!

I thrashed and churned ineffectively, for what seemed like hours, not knowing which way was safety. My feet met ground, then, and I hauled myself up a ramp and through the doorway we had left during construction.

Thank Koshosh! I thought, catching my breath in the stairwell. I then heard screaming from the other side. . .

At this point I realized I wasn't the only dwarf who might stroll through that doorway. Dumat, the new mason who arrived at Sneaktunnels not a day before, had made the same mistake and was now drowning in the cistern.

Let me tell you, I am not a heroic person. I was coughing and tired and could barely function, so I couldn't do anything. . .

His screaming stopped after a short while, and then the splashing, and then all that remained was silence.

I climbed the staircase, told my tale of survival, and left it at that - his death wasn't my fault, I really couldn't do anything, and I don't want anyone associating me with the first death of Sneaktunnels. Sometimes you just have to carry on.

I carved a small memorial and hid it behind the farms, so his ghost won't haunt me.

I just hope no one notices his absence, or the newly-seasoned wellwater.

Day 270
Winter has arrived. Things are cooler on the surface, but not by much. Progress continues below, including a dedicated smithing room.

There are a number of dated pages after this one, however nothing is written underneath.

Day 360
I'm done ordering people about, or so Gwolfski tells me. Apparently everyone got together and agreed my architectural advice was no longer needed. They felt I had proved impractical during my year as overseer, and decided to bring Gwolfski in to replace me (apparently this guy, a freaking planter, is some bastion of prudent decision making. Who knew). I blame the slow winter months - not much visible progress was made. These dwarves just don't understand how I work.

Before I left, I made sure my finishing touches on my final project were  implemented. A lever controls two bridges, and when engaged prevents surface invaders from directly accessing the inner fortress. Diagram below:

Instead, anyone attacking from the dunes above gets  routed through a suspended tunnel, down into the caverns, and back up some trap filled hallways. If they make it past all that, they can fight with our militia. Ideally they get eaten by like a cave croc on the way, but then again the caverns seem oddly quite lately so who knows if the plan is effective.

I hope I am remembered for setting up a solid base of operations, providing useful intel on potential spies, and carving a number of beautiful objects. I also hope Dumat stays a secret. . .

Carefulrogue prepared a summary of fortress citizens and stocks, to send off the year:

OOC: If you have any questions, Gwolfski, ask away. There are lots of things to do, now that the basics are implemented. More cages. More traps. More iron smelting (I'm ashamed to say I haven't even mined any yet). More soldiers. More hallways. etc. etc. Oh, and be careful when you're cutting cavern trees - you might knock some holes into our fortress.

DFFD: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12385
DF Map Archive: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-12700-sneaktunnels

This was a hilarious side-effect of babysnatcher dwarves:

Those dastardly duck-knappers!

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2016, 10:03:12 pm »

And yes Carefulrogue, the year is 250! Though now it's 251, if you can believe it. . .
The year I knew/guessed.  It's the month and day of the month I was after.  But, never mind that.  Doesn't really matter now.  But, something to consider, Dwarf Fortress only has 336 days in a year.  Source

I'll be posting a parallel journal soon. 
I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2016, 03:07:26 am »

The year I knew/guessed.  It's the month and day of the month I was after.  But, never mind that.  Doesn't really matter now.  But, something to consider, Dwarf Fortress only has 336 days in a year.  Source

I'm kind of ashamed I didn't notice that for ten years. . .

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2016, 01:10:43 pm »

Post 2
I'm kind of ashamed I didn't notice that for ten years. . .
And why would you?   It's a bit of an obscure fact that I wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't been curious about the date system at one point. 
Anyhow, a post!

Dairy of Carefulrogue
5th Hematite, 250
Well we finally have a militia going, and I got stood up and asked for a place as soon as Salmeuk told us.  If we’re gonna die out here, I’d like to have some control over my fate.

25th Hematite, 250
Salmeuk has been complaining of there being nothing to do, mostly because it’s too scorching above us.  While I agree, I don’t think it’s all too bad.  Could be much worse. 

28th Malachite, 250
I found raw iron and coal today.  Some decent qualities as well.  As soon as I return to the foretress, I’ll be sure to inform Salmuek.  We need to begin extraction immediately.

14th Limestone, 250
Salmeuk met with the traders today.  Beneath the roof of the depot he traded for a few commodities that I question the use of to us.  However, I’m willing to forgive that, since he bought a pair of steel weapons for the militia.  Now I can actually train and duel. 

One of many things I accomplished while the traders were here though, was pass on a number of letters, copies for the most part, to friends in positions still in the mountain homes.  Not knowing about that salt mine has me concerned.  It’s such a minor issue, but I should have seen that at some point at least once. 

In other news, a higher ranking friend sent me some historical documents.  A few were disturbing, but I guess we should have expected it.  It’s not everyday we learn our King worships a murderous roc that destroyed a settlement not far from us.  What does he think this is, sacred ground?

4th Timber, 250
Today I saw Salmeuk climbing the stairwell dripping wet.  Why I don’t know.  But there was a certain look in his eyes.  Fear or perhaps shock?  I’m not certain.  At least he’s okay.

9th Obsidian, 250
It’s been a quiet winter, which has been nice.  Fewer difficulties the better.  I’ve begun to draft on estimates on our total wealth, and some tallies on our stocks.  By the end of the month it should all be done. 
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2016, 03:03:55 pm »

Oh they'll totally notice the dirty water and farm running red with blood.

That tileset looks like an old picture.

Gwolfski is prudent but has few words :P

Oh boy, levers in succession forts.

15 citizens, huh? Below werebeast threshold.

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2016, 06:59:09 pm »

Oh they'll totally notice the dirty water and farm running red with blood.

That tileset looks like an old picture.

Gwolfski is prudent but has few words :P

Oh boy, levers in succession forts.

15 citizens, huh? Below werebeast threshold.
I was thinking of having some mention of blood in the water, but I'll let someone else roleplay that in.  Or, find it when it's needed for hospital duties and/or alcohol shortages.  I'm really good at the latter. 

As for the levers...If I want to use something, I'll create my own, unless the existing happen to be labeled.  I'm on turn five.  Any number of things could go wrong between now and then.  Like having a character die.  That's something to be concerned about. 

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2016, 11:14:52 pm »

Ok, so where is Gwolfski?
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2016, 01:10:54 am »

Oh, its my turn. Why did no one PM me?
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2016, 06:46:38 am »

Oh, its my turn. Why did no one PM me?
Sorry, forgot about PMing you.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

onciblu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2016, 10:28:08 am »

Can we make requests/suggestions?
Ô_ quack

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2016, 10:35:45 am »

I'll accept 'em.

onciblu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2016, 02:57:52 pm »

Zast was in her smelter, sweating and staring at the fire.

>They will come. They will come I am sure. I cannot trust ... I cannot keep waiting... they are comming, I need to do something. I need a plan. I need a gunweapon.

Suddenly Zast locked her eyes in the void.

>Of course, that is it. I will snatch some stell bars while no one is looking. I will make miself a pick, I still remember how to swing one. And if those green little demons get to my smelter I will mine some globonite myself.

Ô_ quack

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2016, 04:43:13 pm »

Sure.

Edit: Big update on weekend.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 02:02:26 am by Gwolfski »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2016, 04:14:49 pm »

Writeup!

((onciblu, I got Zast a pick. This is quite dangerous, btw))

Here be the Diary Journal of Gwolfski

1st Granite

Well Armok damn it. I'm in charge of this hellhole dungeon now.
I'll have a look about.

2nd Granite

This is a good place...

12th Sladte

Prime burger material

23rd Felsite

Oh shit

24rth Felsite

O...kay? It swam away.

26th Felsite

Migrants. Bloody uselss lot... Unless....

9th Malachite

The project is underway. I had to move the tunnels around a bit...

And it sorts out the stupid rangers!

This much left:

And this much dealt with:

And my project is underway!

10th Malachite

Seems Glittergold got possesed. Never noticed that until I seen their shiny new artifact. Apparently, it's all in the official records. Here:

And this fancy armor stand:

made from this:

11th Malachite

Another one is gone! Mwaha!

RIP!

A loose sheet falls out

Glittergold looking happy as a very happy guy

((So, rest of writeup in the coming days, and I'm done!))

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2016, 05:19:21 pm »

Heh. Those gray + tunnels hanging in caverns remind me of worldgen mountainhomes, when I've done a bit of adventure mode (walk around, attack mole men, consume all drink and food, try to drink out of cave lake like a dwarf and get told "ew", die of thrist).

You put rangers hunting into the caverns? With burrows, I take it, or did they go there on their own?

Okay, gemstone furniture, made from half-valuable gem? Nice, and nice bait!

You did need some werebeast defence, after all.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 31