Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31

Author Topic: Sneaktunnels, a CATastrophic dungeon  (Read 71044 times)

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: Sneaktunnels, a dwarven dungeon - succession fortress.
« Reply #90 on: September 09, 2016, 10:28:02 am »

Not sure. Naive approach suggests about as laggy as dwarf with purple! job, but they have odd pathing quirks with pools and waterworks.

E: Using exterminate him/her on 22 guests gave my 102 citizen fort jump to 42-43 FPS from 37-38 FPS. And piles of bad thoughts, of course. That's 13,3% increase, for what's it worth.

You can always set the library to citizens only.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

onciblu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sneaktunnels, a CATastrophy - succession dungeon
« Reply #91 on: September 09, 2016, 10:30:52 am »

I generaly play with citzen only or visitors cap at 10. Lots of visitors would be nice in case of siege but FPS is also important.
Ô_ quack

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 09, 2016, 07:00:07 pm »

From the diary of Arcvasti, self-proclaimed King of All Cats

9th Opal:

Some of my fuzzy compatriots have expressed a desire for fresh delicious fish. I guess I can reemploy some of those fishery workers, once I have enough silver hammers to properly protect an exposed fishing spot.

There also seems to be a dead horse, two unclaimed beds and a well in the same room. I have no idea what this is supposed to accomplish.

11th Opal:

Since we want so much silver stuff forged and have so little wood for both beds AND charcoal, I order a DISCOVERY PILLER dug down, in hopes of finding magma. It'll be a pain to pump it back up to a usable level, but I think that'll still be better then the current situation. We'll need imported sand for magma safe tubes and screws though, which could take a while.

Plus this way we can have a nice heated bath for the chickens to swim in.

15th Opal:

The DISCOVERY PILLAR has struck gold. Literally. As well as some more silver. Still no magma. Also, there are orders left over from a previous overseer that ask that random splotches of rock be dug out. Digging indicates those areas are just more diorite.

We have lots of beds and doors lying around. Once my minister of Sharp Things Nomal Trumpetlions[Which is a rather vain name for a cat] can figure out how to dig new bedrooms without breaching the caverns, it should be simple to make some new bedrooms.

17th Opal:

The DISCOVERY PILLAR still hasn't struck magma, but it did find something even more valuable:

Tetrahedrite. With copper, our smithery options are much improved. Not that that's saying much, but still better then before.

19th Opal:

A dwarven child's normal exuberence has morphed into terrifying whimsy. I hope they make some artifact yarn or maybe a puzzlebox. Cats love puzzleboxes.

21st Opal:

The kid kicks the stonecrafter out of the workshop and start fiddling with some dog bones[Oh dear, this could be an interspecies incident], cloth and shale. How spooky.

25th Opal:

The good vice mayor finally has what they wanted, in nice silvery colours. Tada.

Also I had some soap made. Because why not.

27th Opal:

Zast the Smelter got in a tussle with a Cave Crocodile. And won, albeit with some injuries. Luckily the croc is still alive, and is hopefully well enough to wander into a cage trap to be recruited. The more rapport we have with the denizens of the deep, the more allies we have. And allies is something we are very very low on.

28th Opal:

The DISCOVERY PILLAR stretches like an inverted tower into the bowels of the earth. Snow discovered a vast cavern. I do not like it, it gives me a bad feeling. Too red and purple. But magma beckons, and the DISCOVERY PILLAR will not be checked by earthly concerns. I do have the new cavern walled off, at least until we can arrange a proper welcome to any who dare desecrate the DISCOVERY PILLAR with foul intentions.

1st Obsidian:

Carefulrogue appears to have taken a turn beating on the helpless cave crocodile. Why.

2nd Obsidian:

We have done it. We have found magma. And more besides. It would be a long and dangerous trek if we made the forges all the way down in the deeps and a long and tedious task if we tried to pump it all the way to the surface, or at least the first cavern complex. Maybe I'll put it to a vote. The adamantine spire calls to me, but not as loud as the caterwauling of my inner soul. I'll leave that be, for now. I'll have to wait on Dishmab Dashedcudgel's analysis of the properties of this metal, besides sharpness and blueness.

4th Obsidian:

Now that we have more charcoal[To make trap hammers], the fishing spot is now complete. The feline vote is even further assured.

I endear myself even more to the populace by ordering some delicious breakfasts bedrooms made. Sometimes I amaze even myself.

FPS is absurdly high. Visitors shouldn't be a problem. Things are going slowly because I still have no idea what exactly is up with the fortress architecture and thus spend a lot of time pawsed.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 09, 2016, 07:14:40 pm »

Yay for discovery?

Dunno about crocodile.

Is there some FTW device idea you have that magma-filled minecarts, either hauled or bouncing up-down, is not satisfactory?

Though, would need iron or nickel for that, so might not be possible.

...Hm, come to think of it, magma-filled minecarts only have half the heat of magma. I wonder if lesser metals could carry it, if they only passed through briefly? This needs ‼science‼
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 07:17:11 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 09, 2016, 07:58:01 pm »

Is there some FTW device idea you have that magma-filled minecarts, either hauled or bouncing up-down, is not satisfactory?

No, I just don't use minecarts that often and thus forgot about them. You're right, that would probably work more efficiently.

* Arcvasti  cackles

Though, would need iron or nickel for that, so might not be possible.

Don't worry about that. It'll work just fine.
Spooky Signature

onciblu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 09, 2016, 08:25:01 pm »

Didn't we discover hematite? Also, did Last used her pick? Also wat is our pop?
Ô_ quack

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 10, 2016, 01:16:07 am »

There is a huge multi-z cluster of magnetite to the northwest in the first cavern. I had dug a passageway towards it at the end of my year, but not breached into the cluster.

Nice updates though, we could really use that magma.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #97 on: September 10, 2016, 03:25:29 am »

Can you please not touvh the area of rock that is being channeled down? And all underneath it for 20 zl evels? I'mk gonna need it later.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 10, 2016, 03:40:35 am »

Yes, updates! I love updates! Anyway, you can't wall of the caverns according to rooms, only traps. I'm probably gonna spend my turn securing the fortress and I have a secret plan as well.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 10, 2016, 10:59:45 am »

Yes, updates! I love updates! Anyway, you can't wall of the caverns according to rooms, only traps. I'm probably gonna spend my turn securing the fortress and I have a secret plan as well.

Eh, I figured being open to one cavern was fulfilling the spirit of the fortress. I'll make a proper trap entrance in a season or two, once I think we have the resources to do it right.

There is a huge multi-z cluster of magnetite to the northwest in the first cavern. I had dug a passageway towards it at the end of my year, but not breached into the cluster.

Nice updates though, we could really use that magma.

What. That might explain one of the weird passageways that was freaking me out earlier, at least. That'll make things a lot easier. And definitely safer then my other idea for a magma-proof minecart.

Can you please not touvh the area of rock that is being channeled down? And all underneath it for 20 zl evels? I'mk gonna need it later.

I did notice some channelling designations in an odd location, but left it where it was because it didn't seem to be getting dug. Its possible it might have intersected with the DISCOVERY PILLAR, though.
Spooky Signature

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 11, 2016, 03:32:17 pm »

I was thinking about how this fortress might fail to live up to it's fame and never get sieged. . .

After seven turns we might try a reboot should that be the case. I'm going to look for a new embark right now, and play it for some years to confirm that people will actually attack it.

In any case, I'm glad two years later (!) we're finally using the iron. It's too bad you can't forge armor for cats.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 12, 2016, 07:02:58 pm »

From the diary of Arcvasti, self-proclaimed King of All Cats:

5th Obsidian:

Dishmab has finished the analysis of the strange blue metal:

-blue
-sharp
-doesn't melt
-shiny
-inedible

The not melting part gives me an idea. I tell Dishmab. Dishmab takes a contemplative nap then wakes up and draws me an informative diagram.

Well, this makes things much simpler. Dishmab also points out a coal cluster a few levels off the ground. I guess we should start mining those things soon.

12th Obsidian:

The coal's been mined and we'll be able to get large amounts of coke from it, easily enough to tide us until the magma can be moved up. The magnetite extraction will be more difficult, since it'll need to be routed through the forging area and not the general caverns entrance. Thus, we'll have to be careful not to leave even a cat-sized opening, lest something spooky wriggle through and mess with the smiths.

9th Granite:

Things are going well. The iron minecart’s been made, so have the trap hammers. We’ve got iron and coal now and magma soon to come. Yay.

19th Granite:

Sanctume gave birth to a single girl. That’s a pretty pathetic litter, if you ask me.

22nd Granite:

The minecart is stuck in the magma. This is dumb.

Dishmab is disappointed in me and says that even the vice mayor’s prodigous muscles can’t push a minecart through magma. They say that I need more power. I order another minecart built and a ramp made, for momentum to build up. Maybe this will even knock the first minecart out of the magma.

1st Slate:

The minecart apparatus’ modifications are complete. All we can do now is wait and hope.
And have more babies. This place is drowning in goddamn babies. Not even cute fuzzy ones.

12th Slate:

The vice mayor was attacked by a blind cave bear. Glittergold sustained major injuries before Carefulrogue beheaded it with a single swing. I think that we may need to reconfigure our cavern access to be more centralized, neither the cave croc nor this bear were caught by our traps.

16th Slate:

There’s a ghost baby being spooky. How annoying.

21st Slate:

The minecart apparatus still isn’t working. Dishmab’s come up with a have a better idea:
We already have a minecart full of magma, its just stuck. But what if we pumped OUT the magma and retrieved the minecart? We’d need some iron pumpy things and we’d need to reset the apparatus each time, but its not like we need a LOT of magma anyways.

2nd Felsite:

A fellow mechanic has been possessed. I blame the babies. Maybe they’ll make something neat. Maybe not.

3rd Felsite:

Some migrants are here. At this rate, I might not be reelected next year, since the dwarf to cat ratio will have done up. Oh dear.

9th Felsite:

I was right. There are now 95 dwarves to 54 animals. The balance of power has shifted. At least one of the migrants was pretty good at spears, speciesunkn0wn ought to be getting a squadmate soon.

13th Felsite:

The possessed mechanic started his artifact.

15th Felsite:

The artifact is now done.

20th Felsite:

The magma minecart scheme is becoming increasingly complicated. This is ridiculous.

8th Hematite:

The magma minecart debacle may be close to resolution. Finally.

10th Hematite:

Nomal had kittens today. They are both cute AND fuzzy.

11th Hematite:

Perfect. We have two minecarts full of magma. Enough to power one magma workshop. We’ll need to install another magma pump to make this repeatable, but we’ve done it. Now just to haul them up all those stairs to the forging area. I do hope no one falls down the stairs and spills their minecart full of magma.

17th Hematite:

The vice mayor got reelected, using their “heroic” injuries to gain the love of the people. Maybe I should go fall down some stairs or something…

22nd Hematite:

Some more people show up. A couple of them are good at maces.

24th Hematite:

Speciesunkn0wn became a Spearmaster. They are now as one with the poke and the prod.

4th Malachite:

We’ve finally got the magma in the magma forging place. Now for the next batch…

12th Malachite:

Its possible I was a little harsh on the stonefall traps earlier. One of them literally exploded a cave croc when it tried to go through. Maybe we should have some cage traps ahead of the stonefall ones to capture more vassals.

27th Malachite:

Sanctume appears to be carrying around, not just one baby, but the ghost of one of their previous offspring. How adorable.

3rd Galena:

There was a magma pumping mishap. A Pump Operator is dead. We’ve still got 104 dwarves, that’s plenty. More annoyingly, we won’t be able to move on until the magma spatter evaporates, which could be weeks of delay.

10th Galena:

Now that we’ve at least got some coal, I set to work making a proper entrance to the deepest cavern, eventually to be ornamented with lots of sharp spinny things.

16th Galena:

More kittens were born, joyous day.

17th Galena:

The spilled magma has evaporated, which means that we can harvest the magma-filled minecarts, finally. Pumping duty has become feared, but I harangue a likely looking dingus into doing it. No one can match my haranguing.

24th Galena:

Some spooky eyes assailed me while setting up the traps in the deepest cavern. I call for the new mace squad to bop them down some. My dogs are helping,

25th Galena:

The spooky eyes are dead. They were harmless, but unsettling.

7th Limestone:

One minecart full of magma is currently in the future magma forge pit. Dishmab points out to me that using wheelbarrows to haul the minecarts hauling magma is a much easier and safer method then just toting them up all these stairs. Hopefully this should speed things up noticeably.

9th Limestone:

Some more kittens were born today. Do miracles ever cease? I don’t think so.

12th Limestone:

The caravan is here. Finally.

14th Limestone:

The outpost liason brings news of conquest and mayoral drama. I request wood, steel-making supplies, cages and cats. Hopefully I’ll still be in office to take full advantage of them, although I doubt it.

17th Limestone:

I order a bunch of things bought. Lots of wood, a few metal doodads, some cages, a cat and some books. The important things. In exchange, we give them some fabulous commemorative figurines.

20th Limestone:

The magma forge is being built. This means the military can have actual armour.

21st Limestone:

Our primary stonecrafter withdraws from society in a mysterious and vaguely worrying fashion. He grabs a large collection of things and starts working.

22nd Limestone:

Considering our recent population growth and our sudden influx of wood, I order the bedrooms be expanded further. Dwarves cannot nap on hard stone floors like cats can, unfortunately.

28th Limestone:

The stonecrafter is done his work. Its actually kind of boring…

1st Sandstone:

Oh crap.
Spooky Signature

onciblu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 12, 2016, 08:18:26 pm »

Welp, good luck. Maybe we can trow cats at it?
Ô_ quack

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2016, 11:22:44 pm »

Finally something attacking :D. You plan on fighting it? Can you trap forgotten beasts? If nothing else works I guess the catmiracle (kittens) used in Onciblus plan might work...
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2016, 11:38:45 pm »

You plan on fighting it?

Don't see how I can NOT fight it, with no way to block it off. If it sits still for long enough, maybe I could drop the ceiling on it or something, but I doubt it'll do that with a clear path to the fortress available

Current plan is buy emergency weapons from the caravan with what little time we have, arm anyone who has any latent weapon skill and then swarm it. Its only made of flesh and our dedicated military of six is pretty skilled, if completely unarmoured. The poison gas could be absurdly deadly, but it could also not be. Might just do something amusing like blind everybody, which would be fun but non-lethal.
Spooky Signature
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31