Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Let's Play Pokemon: White! (Ranlocke!) - Blatant Kirby References  (Read 13719 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Hello, and welcome! If you clicked on this, you probably know what's gonna happen here. For those of you who are lost, let me explain real quick.

Pokemon is a long-running series based on catching various critters (the eponymous pokemon) and making them fight each other to grow stronger. It has a fairly strong competitive scene.
Pokemon White is a 5th-generation game, originally released on the Nintendo DS alongside Pokemon Black.
A Nuzlocke is a sort of self-imposed "challenge run" of a Pokemon game, with the following immutable rules:
  • You must name each pokemon you acquire.
  • You may only get a single pokemon in each location. In addition, it must be the first pokemon you encounter in each area. If you fail to catch it, you forfeit that area's catch.
  • A pokemon that "faints" (reduced to 0 HP by any means) is actually considered "dead". It can never be used again.

In addition, I am appending the following rules (subject to change):
  • Shiny pokemon (those with a different color palette than normal, and extremely rare) are exempt from the one-per-area rule, and can be captured at any time.
  • Items (except items held by Pokemon) may not be used in battle.
  • If a poisoned pokemon falls to 1 HP outside of battle, it is considered fainted (and thus dead). Pokemon cannot normally faint outside of battle, you see. Apparently poison no longer deals damage outside of battle in Gen5. This rule is now void.
  • Whiting out (running out of usable pokemon) is considered an automatic game over while battling any wild pokemon or hostile trainers. Against friendly trainers, it merely results in the loss of the entire team.
  • The sole exception to the death rule is the first two battles, as your options are incredibly limited at that point and the Demon Murphy is a constant threat.

This will primarily be a screenshot LP, but I might throw in some of my infamous Paint monstrosities when I feel like it. Consider this your only warning.

Y'all ready? Let's begin!

Spoiler: The Roster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Reserves (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Remembered (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 04:00:41 pm by Sirus »
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Pokemon: White! (Nuzlocke!)
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 02:50:11 pm »

Um. Hello?

D-d-did you just say pokemon?

I know who you are! You live next door! You play with them.

AGH NO put that away

"called Pokemon!"

it's scary

"and live in many different places."

Did my therapist set this up with you?

"we complement each other."

She did, didn't she? Exposure therapy my ass.

Not if I can help it.

"the bonds between people and Pokemon. And that is why I research Pokemon."

Just get this over with. Please.

We're neighbors. You should know this stuff. Maybe leave those monsters alone for a while and spend time with humans for a change?

Why is Mom friends with you...

Well folks? Goi or Grl?
I also need a name, 7 characters max.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 03:24:17 pm »

Female, named White because it's the version name and we're the protagonist.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 03:28:26 pm »

Named Blanc, so we can at least pretend our named-as-version laziness isn't quite as lazy, and French, because the French like the colour white.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 03:30:15 pm »

That's a better idea probably, yeah.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 03:33:27 pm »

French? We ain't in the Kalos region, dude.

(kinda wish we were, but 3DS emulation is...less than stellar for me)

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 10:19:08 pm »

+1 for Grl

Name: Belyy

Cause we're Russian through!
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 11:31:48 am »

People seem to be pretty unanimous on gender so far, but I welcome more name suggestions. Assuming I make it home tonight, I'll start with whatever name is most popular (currently Blanc).

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Pokemon: White! (Nuzlocke!) - Pick Your Starter!
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 09:21:17 pm »

Terrible art and even more terrible writing inbound! Beware!

How about no? Pretty sure I know my friends better than YOU do Friggin Ms Frankenstein here.

Sorry. Please continue ._.

"you on your journey, your story will truly begin. During your journey, you will meet many Pokemon and people with different personalities and points of view!"

Seriously, can't we talk about this?

"That's right! Befriend new people and Pokemon and grow as a person! That is the most important goal of your journey!"

I'll give you all of my allowance if you'll just tell Mrs Brady that we did the journey thing, without us actually doing that.

Nooooooooo

...is already here. Spring is coming.
...sorry.

"Hellooo? Beth, are you home?"
"Professor Juniper, come in! How goes the research?"
"Quite well, thank you. Herbert's off running errands so I'm stretched a bit thin at the moment, but I wanted to take the time to come over."
"That box...are they in it?"
"Yes, I figured wrapping them up like this might make Blanc feel a bit better. Speaking of, where is she?"
"She's 'taking a shower', but the water isn't running. I think she was half-afraid you'd show up with a Scolipede or something on a leash, and found a place to hide."
"Well, I'll just leave this in her room. She'll find it before her friends show up. They know what's going on, right?"
"Of course! They've both been very supportive."
"Good to hear. I'll round up Cheren and Bianca and head back to the lab. Make sure they come see me later, okay? Especially Blanc."
"You got it. Have a good evening, Juni."

Steady, Blancy. Slow breaths. Nothing to worry about. Just a box. I don't have to worry about it. I can play games until everyone shows up. Or nap. They can't get out of the box until I let them out.

Or so I tell myself. In spite of the other things I'd rather do, I'm still staring at the box when Cheren shows up.

"I heard from Professor Juniper. We can have a pokemon?" He stared at the box with me, though his expression was more eager than mine. "What's keeping Bianca?"

That's Cheren in a nutshell. Honest. Direct. Gruff, even. And yet, still a good friend. Despite his desire to have his first pokemon, he'd wait for us all to be here for as long as it takes. Cheren wasn't the type to fake enthusiasm just to try and perk up my spirits, but oddly enough his genuine excitement did wind up making me feel a bit better anyway.

Luckily for Cheren, we didn't have to wait long. Almost as if summoned, Bianca came crashing up the stairs, out of breath. "Am I a little late again? Sorry!"

Cheren shook his head in an exhasperation that was only partially serious. "Bianca...I've known for ten years that you have no sense of time, but seriously. Today's the day we can get a pokemon from Professor Juniper!"

Bianca had the good grace to act suitibly chastised and apologized profusely, which I guess sums her up pretty well. Bianca's never been the conflict-seeking sort; even her dream of raising pokemon stems more from a desire to participate in activities with her friends than any real hope of becoming a champion battler. As a result, she tends to be overly-apologetic even for things that aren't really her fault. Still, she has more guts than she thinks she does. In some ways, I envy her.

The awkward moment passed, and Bianca clapped her hands together in genuine excitement. "So! Where are the pokemon? They were delivered to Blanc's house...so Blanc gets the first pick!"

Wait, what? No. No way.

"The pokemon are waiting for us inside that box. Okay Blanc, you go first. I want to meet the pokemon inside!"

This must be another of Juniper's bright ideas. Making me pick first so I can't try to back out at the last minute.

On the other hand...if I have to pick, and I pick first, then I can at least pick the one that's...least bad? Does that make sense?

Here we go...

It's...some sort of pig thing! Pigs eat people sometimes, I saw the stories about that Emboar!

It's...an egg? Which means that something horrible will hatch out of it and kill me oh no

...DX

I have to choose one...which one, though? These are all horrifying!
I suppose the little monster will need a name, too, if only so I can train it to not rip my throat out...

So...anyone care to guess the gimmick of this playthrough? :3c
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 10:18:29 pm by Sirus »

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 09:50:06 pm »

Litwik. It shall be the fire that warms our hearts to the world of Pokemon.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
  • A sarcastic, weird nerd of many things. That's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 02:23:38 am »

+1 to Litwik, but I don't know the character limit for names in White. I'm going to say something cool and exotic, so how about "Kerze"? It's German for candle, so that could be cool.

Also, I'm guessing the gimmick's a randomizer, which is also pretty sweet.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 02:37:37 am by Greatness942 »
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.
I desire, for whatever reason, to create Space Louisiana.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 02:52:04 am »

A+ writing and art.

My vote's for Togepi, cause three evolutions and nostalgia. Meurtre for the name because french naming and I feel like this character would have a lot of sarcasm to throw around, and if you're going to be forced to bring a potentially murderous animal with you, might as well call it like you see it.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
  • A sarcastic, weird nerd of many things. That's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 03:31:52 am »

A+ writing and art.

My vote's for Togepi, cause three evolutions and nostalgia. Meurtre for the name because french naming and I feel like this character would have a lot of sarcasm to throw around, and if you're going to be forced to bring a potentially murderous animal with you, might as well call it like you see it.

Okay, this is pretty cool, too. I'll keep my suggestion, but if this gets picked, I don't mind.

EDIT: Just translated Meutre. It means Murder. Now I'm debating if I should +1 this or not...ah, screw it. I like Togepi. +1!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 03:37:33 am by Greatness942 »
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.
I desire, for whatever reason, to create Space Louisiana.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 01:36:38 pm »

Litwick, because ghosts are cool.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 05:37:41 pm »

Oh no, a tie!

I'll leave this decision open for a while longer, considering that until fossils show up we won't be able to actually pick any pokemon for...most of the rest of the game, I think?
of course even the fossils will be a mystery, mwahaha

Also, I'm guessing the gimmick's a randomizer, which is also pretty sweet.
Correct! My old and sadly incomplete Emerald Nuzlocke only had randomized starters and wild pokemon, because that was all the randomizer of the time could handle.

Things should be far more...surprising this time around.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7