Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress github  (Read 3259 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress github
« on: August 21, 2016, 04:47:07 pm »

I've created a github repository for the vanilla raws, so that modders might be able to see the changes between updates to the base game more easily. This makes it easier to know what changes may be needed to keep a mod current.

Here it is
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Dwarf Fortress github
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 09:26:08 pm »

Somebody else has already uploaded them here, complete with a complete revision history dating back to the very first version of DF released.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 11:36:52 pm »

Oh. Well, that's even better!

Damnit search function...

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 03:09:45 am »

Now I can easily browse the raws from my phone. Some of the raws are on the wiki, but they're all scattered about and probably incomplete. I was having trouble finding entity_default.txt, for example.

It doesn't look like the one that goes back to the dawn of time is being updated anymore, so it's nice to have one with the latest files.

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 07:00:47 pm »

Sorry if this sounds incredibly dumb, but could someone explain what a GIT is at a high level? It's just a way to store changes between different versions of a file?

I've googled it extensively but I can't find a succinct answer in laymen's terms (I know only a touch of programming)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 07:09:42 pm »

Sorry if this sounds incredibly dumb, but could someone explain what a GIT is at a high level? It's just a way to store changes between different versions of a file

Pretty much. It's a way of keeping track of changes to a set of files, so that multiple people can work on them without overriding each other's changes, and can keep their changes compatible with other changes to the base

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 07:54:53 pm »

It's a way of keeping track of changes to a set of files, so that multiple people can work on them without overriding each other's changes, and can keep their changes compatible with other changes to the base

Thanks for the response. You say it can keep multiple people's work compatible, but what differentiates that from some pop file-storage/sharing medium, like google docs, where your changes are saved instantly and others working on the document see that and do their work accordingly?

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 08:19:32 pm »

GitHub lets you type in a command that will update your copy to the latest version. GitHub also saves previous versions so that you can figure out where a problem started.

I like the "Blame" button that shows you who wrote each line of code. GitHub seems kind of Terrible, though, I would recommend BitBucket instead.

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 08:31:23 pm »

Cool! Thanks for the help

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 06:39:57 pm »

It's a way of keeping track of changes to a set of files, so that multiple people can work on them without overriding each other's changes, and can keep their changes compatible with other changes to the base

Thanks for the response. You say it can keep multiple people's work compatible, but what differentiates that from some pop file-storage/sharing medium, like google docs, where your changes are saved instantly and others working on the document see that and do their work accordingly?

It's (by design) completely decentralized--Github is technically a central repository, but the design of Git is that there is none. Google Docs has a google doc that you edit. Github you copy the entire project to your own computer, make branches, edit them, make commits, then other people can pull your commits into their repository (Github uses "pull requests" as a way to call attention to your own commits).

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 11:17:15 pm »

As the other git seems to be deprecated, I've updated the repo.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 02:14:24 am »

There's also https://github.com/BenLubar/raws, which I believe Ben has a script to generate, but it's a bit behind too.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.