Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tacticus: Grognarg's Folly  (Read 956 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Tacticus: Grognarg's Folly
« on: November 15, 2016, 01:49:15 am »

Tacticus is the great game, invented, played, won, and lost in Armok's glory.

It is not true that there is no rhyme or reason to any action, nor that the game merely consists of players shouting out nonsensical commands, putting increasingly alarming pieces on the board, and adding or deducting absurd quantities of points from themselves or others; it merely appears that way to new players, in part because of the quite vast number of rules and rulebooks. To keep things simple, please cite the rules as you make use of them. Luckily, we are all experts here.

It is long past time for the new championship Tacticus game. Of course, many are here to play for the fantastic trophy, but I think we should make things a little more interesting. As each player joins, please ante up some small item of value to the pool for a friendly little wager. I'll chip in a mirror from the James Webb Space Telescope. It's a spare they didn't need and threw out. You never know what you'll find while dumpster diving. It's not stolen at all.

Let's use my board:
Spoiler: The Board (click to show/hide)
No need to post new pictures of the board as you go, but do try to keep it in mind as you make your moves, and someone will eventually get around to uploading it for the newbies who may be following along.

Ok, that all out of the way, here's my action:

>I put seven Dwarf tokens into play clustered around the center of the board, and tap one to make it a miner. This costs 5 points, putting me at -5. (Old Dwarven Rules, tablet 2, "Basic Actions").

Now then, everyone jump in as you please. According to Pantshelm Rules Subsection T, Number 4.4, anyone can join in at any time, so don't hesitate to start playing!

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 01:56:33 am by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tacticus: Grognarg's Folly
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 09:44:00 am »

Since you are obviously taking dwarves I will grab the antagonist role, which goes after dwarves and before the other players.

=Since at least one player is at -5 I will take an opal from the supply, no one is at a positive score so no ore.

>Take my standard action and add two carp, one at 1.1 and one at the opposite corner of the board.

>Then flip the opal down, replace the carp at 1.1 with a goblin sharpshooter and place the flipped down opal near the miner, per the special rule on miners, page 56.

As you know the dwarf at a diagonal from the sharpshooter is in his field of fire (diagonal, horizontal and vertical), and is pinned.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 01:14:12 pm »

Tempting... Ok, I'll call that.

>I have the miner flip the opal tile, automatically granting me 4 points for a net -1, potentially triggering any Surprise Actions you might have on it.

>Then I use the Militias and Migrants expansion rules (specifically p.4 section 1, "trees are basically the same as goblins") to turn the woodcutter into an axedwarf. I swap the tokens and move him adjacent to the goblin, but the goblin isn't pinned because of M&Mx p.4 s.3 ("whoa there bucko"). It'll take at least 0.75 turns for the woodcutter/axedwarf to take effect.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 06:26:09 pm »

And the game fails to progress because no one wants the onus of playing the environment. Fine, fine, fine, I'll get it, and I'll place a bag of preserved silphium seeds as my contribution to the wager.

>Nobody is at positive score at the start of my round, so I can't apply any equalizers- BUT PTTG has the most miners, therefore...

> PTTG's miner nets him 5 points (to positive 4), but he incurs wrath of the earth for being the deepest miner, so I can take two balancing actions against him if his score is still positive at the start of the next round.

> VS had a flipped opal, which PPTG unflipped, which I'll remove from the table and turn into a gemstone vein. Since that's one of the first three special resources, I don't have to pay to put it down, as noted in the appendix of the special environmental rules.

> Oh, and my environmental typeset is voltaic volcanic, so remember to increase the cost of all actions with a secondary antagonistic alignment by two.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."