Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: How Immigration Ruins the Game  (Read 9099 times)

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How Immigration Ruins the Game
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2016, 03:55:05 pm »

Seriously, I enjoyed playing this game but how is it possible that anyone could actually have played this game and came away with the idea that it works, that it has ever worked, or that it ever will 'work' - least of all if they have an actual degree in Computer Science and game design credentials.   This in the industry is called a 'Fantasy Heartbreaker', and like all fantasy heartbreakers it is a thing of aching stunning beauty and a source of inspiration, and a terrible tragedy at the same time.
I think that you have a skewed idea of what you mean by 'pillars of gameplay'.  This thread mystifies me since for an incomplete game immigration is basically a fully functional system that works very well, even down to getting to the 'right' dwarves for your present economic circumstances.  All that is really missing is some consideration of how dangerous your fortress is as well as how rich it is and the ability of unhappy dwarves to leave your fortress (emigrate). 
Actually as an ex gamedev professional I kinda know what he means.

An example might be Megabeast behavior in legends, while in fort mode they are nothing but berserk bullets coming your way.
Or how the game gives you few dozen types of trees but no way of actually *planting one*.

Still, I wouldn't call it tragedy. For a proceduraly generated game it beats others like No Man's Buy on the market and it costs nothing.

Well, human population and dwarven/elven/kobold/whatever might differ in why they do migrate to smaller sites.
Come to think of it:
- elves would come to help grow the trees and protect the site. Think of druid migrating with a bag of seeds
- kobolds simply move from overcrowded areas to increase in numbers and conquer the world
- orcs for the same reasons
- as for dwarves, when I think about it, if you are a legendary mason in 200 y old fortress that has been build and "set in stone" (both literally and figuratively speaking) you have to do but fix the walls occasionally. Same with the miners. So moving to a new construction site makes a lot of sense - builder are needed there for the glory of dawrfkind, I am a builder bored to HFS at capitol, so why not go to help and for some extra thrill?

I do not see why it has to be done directly by race, can it not be done directly by personality/values/profession on an individual basis?
Why not?  :D
getlost.lua # How to get rid of tavern guests
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end
getlost ()

Celebrim42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2016, 12:30:52 am »

Still, I wouldn't call it tragedy.

It wasn't my intention when I wrote this thread to start bashing DF.   I've been driven to that by a combination of watching the game I was enjoying and excited about dwindle into pointlessness, and people in this thread acting like DF is above criticism even in a suggestions forum.

For a proceduraly generated game it beats others like No Man's Buy on the market and it costs nothing.

No Man's Sky's problems were obvious before it came out.  I'm not sure what the hype was about.   The key problem with No Man's Sky is that it had no compelling pillar of gameplay.  Open ended sandbox games depend on players being able to define and implement their own goals of play.  But No Man's Sky had no way to persist the player's activities, meaning that the players were unable to define or implement their own goals.  Everything that a player does in a game is strictly speaking meaningless.  But in No Man's Sky it not only was meaningless, but it feels meaningless.  And if a game feels meaningless, why play it?   No Man's Sky is supposed to be an exploration game, but exploration as a pillar of gameplay is about finding the surprising depths - which is going to happen in a PnP game with a fiercely intellectual and creative gamemaster or in something like Skyrim with its creativity poured into the setting by an army of developers - but isn't going to happen in a procedural game.

For a procedurally generated game, I can think of almost no game where the generated world is more meaningless to the game play than Dwarf Fortress.  Sure, you can explore it in Adventure mode, but ultimately its not Adventure mode that made DF so interesting.  If DF only had Adventure mode, it would just be another Rogue-like with massive meaningless scale that lacked any of the tight well thought out intense gameplay of say NetHack.  NetHack has this well earned reputation of 'the developers have thought of everything'.  Oddly, DF never feels that way for me.

It's interesting how decent the procedurally generated world is and how many things it tries to keep track of, but the vast majority of that generated content is meaningless to the gameplay.  And, it's also as shallow as a puddle, which becomes obvious whenever the game tries to link gameplay to the procedurally generated content, and you get spammed with 100's of meaningless names performing the same meaningless actions - The Blah of Blah became refugees.  The Blah of Blah became refugees.  Blah blah blah.  It's not a narrative, and its not adding to the gameplay.

Ironically, DF is a game that doesn't even really know why it is successful.   It's not because of the procedurally generated content, save to the extent that that creates a mystique around the game.   The reason DF is successful is that quite the opposite of No Man's Sky, Dwarf Fortress makes the choices the players make feel meaningful, and provides the player tons of opportunities to set their own goals and implement plans.  Whether its having a throne room made of solid gold, or having a whole unit of legendary axe dwarfs in adamantium, or its making that 100 z magma safe pump stack to bring a magma reservoir up to near the surface, DF provides lots of gameplay around setting your own goals and implementing them.   NMS provides practically none.

The great tragedy of No Man's Sky is that scale provides almost no gameplay in and of itself.  In fact, I'd bet the scale ultimately got in the way of implementing a good game.  That was obvious for 6-8 months before the game out even to someone who had only a casual knowledge of the game.

An example might be Megabeast behavior in legends, while in fort mode they are nothing but berserk bullets coming your way.
Or how the game gives you few dozen types of trees but no way of actually *planting one*.

Eh.  I'm thinking more about things like it spends all this time generating a civilization, but the last names of the dwarfs are completely random so that none of these connections between dwarfs are really evident or apparent.  I would think that having some sort of naming scheme would be priority #1 in a game like this.  And because the immigration is random, none of those connections ever really impact your gameplay.  Dwarfs don't immigrate in families.  Family reunions don't take place.  There is this stuff in the legendarium, but it is not only mere repetition but has no meaningful impact on play.

Some dwarf in your fortress apparently cares that some human was struck down by a sasquatch in 156 because he carved it on your walls, but why should you?   

And sometimes abandoned mechanics intersect with the lack of gameplay focus, as in not only do dwarves never throw parties anymore, but typical of the game's shallow design, parties when they did exist served solely as random artificial source of game difficulty that added nothing to the core gameplay (much like nobles mandates).  Dwarves get married without ceremony, they give birth without ceremony, they die without ceremony, they invest new nobles without ceremony.  This is a hugely lost opportunity to tell story, or at least give the illusion of story which is what DF does well.  Who gives a frack about the procedural generation.  If this game is supposed to be a massive story generation engine, give us story.

Or the fact that it implements dozens of types of trees, but for the most part none of it has anything to do with gameplay.  Or the fact that it implements hundreds of sorts of animals, but makes you play within a 100 acre wood where the game engine basically only brings one animal type at a time per layer procedurally one after the other as you kill off the prior one as if the animals were being queued up off screen.   And, why should we give a frack about the procedural generation.  Does it really do anything for the game?  It's a great example of DF making the same sort of mistake as NMS, in thinking that scale is the same as depth.

Or the fact that it implements 100's of food sources, but makes farms so insanely productive with such minimal effort and dwarf food requirements so low (owing to its distorted time scales), that food scarcity is almost never an issue of any sort and the real problem with food very quickly comes to be that you are tracking 1000's or 10000's of thousands of pointless food items that are eating up CPU time and thus actually detracting from game play rather than adding to it.  I'm exporting 1000's of food items now, not because I need anything, but just to keep my food production from burying my already painfully slow frame rate.  So why do we have food again?

Or the fact that the combat engine is supposed to provide for all sorts of detail, and yet so much of it is, "Blah Blah grab's Blah Blah by its left third finger, bruising the fat.  Blah Blah breaks the grip of Blah Blah on on its left third finger."   Not only is much of the combat often unintentionally(?) comical in its pettiness or in the bizarre nature of its outcomes, but the combat engine gives little in the way of score or direction to the fight. I'm not suggesting bringing hit points into the game, and I'm actually really into a cRPG finally experimenting with non-hit point based mechanics PnP RPGs have long experimented in, but one thing that is missing that hit points do provide is a way for the observer to 'keep score' and thus become dramatically invested in the fight.  So much of DF's combat devolves down to uninteresting 'death spirals' where its just a matter of how long it will take the loser to finally succumb fully, and really there is almost never any give and take to a fight.  It never sways back and forth with the outcome in the balance, or at least it does it so rarely that when it did it would be remarked on.

A really good example of how shallow the game is can be found by inspecting the engravings on the wall and how rarely they meaningful record anything that you'd call a narrative event.  Dwarves don't really interact with each other, and to the extent that they do, they don't remember doing so.  The record of the settlement mostly revolves around artifacts being constructed, but the artifacts themselves aren't a narrative event.  Feanor creating the Silmarils isn't important.  What's important is how this act impacts the characters in the story and sets the stage for their actions.  Instead we get 1000 carvings of cheese, which is a good example of why I say that its the bugs that are more important to the emergent gameplay than the intention.  We member that fondly, because of the unintentional incongruity of it.  With so much important to say, the game engine didn't intentionally spam carvings of cheese out of irony.  It spammed out carvings of cheese because it had no ability to say anything interesting.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 12:34:40 am by Celebrim42 »

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2016, 03:40:25 am »

Eh.  I'm thinking more about things like it spends all this time generating a civilization, but the last names of the dwarfs are completely random so that none of these connections between dwarfs are really evident or apparent.  I would think that having some sort of naming scheme would be priority #1 in a game like this.  And because the immigration is random, none of those connections ever really impact your gameplay.  Dwarfs don't immigrate in families.  Family reunions don't take place.  There is this stuff in the legendarium, but it is not only mere repetition but has no meaningful impact on play.

Some dwarf in your fortress apparently cares that some human was struck down by a sasquatch in 156 because he carved it on your walls, but why should you?   
I know - like I said, I understand what you mean, I just didn't elaborated on it too much.
The fact that masterwork granite statue of my current fort leader will depict him as raising masterwork dog bone bin created 2 years ago is bothering me as well.

So much in fact that I considered adding a suggestion(or necroing a thread with it, if it's there) that masterwork events should be removed from legends altogether.
I am like spawning masterwork tallow cakes for sale.
I am really not interested in having burial chamber engraved with depiction of my cook preparing hundreds of masterwork tallow cakes, because as you said, it is irrelevant to gameplay.

Also unification of materials is another reason for why I play Masterwork DF Mod. I really can do with a single type of meat, bone, wood and leather. I don't need to have cat bones, pig bones, dog bones, Dwarven Axeman bones, Giant Aardvark bones etc.
function getlost ()
end
getlost ()

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2016, 03:41:30 am »

But, back on topic, gameplay is defined by what the game allows you to do.  The pillars of your gameplay are the systems that the player is expected to spend the most time engaged in.  A pillar of gameplay in Minecraft might be for example collection of resources.   Another pillar might be exploration.   In a first person shooter, the pillar of gameplay might be tactical reflex based squad combat.  So, for example, if you implement a bunch of different skills for the dwarves and then have a system where dwarves gain XP and then become more proficient in these skills, then training up your dwarves becomes a pillar of the gameplay by definition.   I'm not defining that as a pillar of gameplay.  It just bloody well is. 

Your attempt to categorize game systems via this strange "pillar" terminology is a bit odd since such categories are absolutely subjective. Going by your logic, I could define yet another pillar of minecraft as being something like "practicing basic math in order to build symmetrical bases" or "learning to cope with the hopeless A.I." or "overcoming the immediate frustration experienced when you discover that trees won't collapse on their own and you have to spend an aggravating amount of time cutting through the floating trunk." These things might not have been by design, but any player who has spent enough time playing Minecraft will have to interact in those fashions in order to get on with the game. And yes, you could just build awful looking houses or never try to herd your pigs, but I refuse to believe anyone has picked up Minecraft and not become immediately frustrated with the way trees work.

Back on topic. I could describe infinite pillars, each of which would describe yet another category of system interaction, each of which is perfectly valid as long as the player spends time interacting with it, at least by your logic. Perhaps the most interesting thing is that the more pillars I describe, the less meaningful each one becomes, and as meaning approaches the asymptote we're left to wonder what the point of all of this was in the first place.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Basically, you aren't proving anything to anyone by claiming such-and-such is inherent proof that this-or-that should be removed/added/modified, when such-and-such is a highly arbitrary and unproven categorization. I could easily describe one of the pillars of DF's gameplay as "Interacting with the U.I." or "Visiting the Wiki," and that's kind of awesome, but it is still a matter of opinion as to whether Toady should emphasize (or de-emphasize) either of these pillars.

I was going to write more about your perspective, but this thread has become your personal soapbox and I'd rather not encourage that. Stick to constructive criticism and avoid writing things like "XXX ruins the game" and "Why you are all wrong about liking this game, the poorly constructed essay" and "Please come argue with me!". Like moths to a flame, or perhaps cheese makers to a pair of !!xXxcave spider silk trousersxXx!!, argumentative types are drawn towards these threads. There are better ways to phrase your thoughts, though people will still poke and prod despite your diplomatic efforts. Sometimes the best response is to give no response at all.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2016, 03:42:55 am »

Still, I wouldn't call it tragedy.

It wasn't my intention when I wrote this thread to start bashing DF.   I've been driven to that by a combination of watching the game I was enjoying and excited about dwindle into pointlessness, and people in this thread acting like DF is above criticism even in a suggestions forum.

No, disagreeing with your specific view of how the game should be is not "acting like DF is above criticism".

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2016, 03:58:28 am »

Your attempt to categorize game systems via this strange "pillar" terminology is a bit odd since such categories are absolutely subjective. Going by your logic, I could define yet another pillar of minecraft as being something like "practicing basic math in order to build symmetrical bases" or "learning to cope with the hopeless A.I." or "overcoming the immediate frustration experienced when you discover that trees won't collapse on their own and you have to spend an aggravating amount of time cutting through the floating trunk." These things might not have been by design, but any player who has spent enough time playing Minecraft will have to interact in those fashions in order to get on with the game. And yes, you could just build awful looking houses or never try to herd your pigs, but I refuse to believe anyone has picked up Minecraft and not become immediately frustrated with the way trees work.
No.
http://technicalgamedesign.blogspot.com/2011/04/pillars.html
In gamedev industry there does exist a definition of pillars or key gameplay elements or key selling points (if you are working for EA).
That is industry jargon for years now, just because it is the first time you heard of it, doesn't mean it wasn't there for many years.

If I am making a platformer game, jumping between the platforms is my key gameplay element, or as Celebrim called it "pillar".
It is like this, because it was defined during a design process.

Key gameplay elements (named pillars in this thread) are usually well described in GDD (Game Desing Document) prior to start of development.
An awful lot of research, design, concept work and review goes into designing key gameplay elements *right*.
Because if you fukk them up, game you develop will end up in disaster. See No Man's Buy for most recent example.

Back on topic. I could describe infinite pillars, each of which would describe yet another category of system interaction, each of which is perfectly valid as long as the player spends time interacting with it, at least by your logic. Perhaps the most interesting thing is that the more pillars I describe, the less meaningful each one becomes, and as meaning approaches the asymptote we're left to wonder what the point of all of this was in the first place.
*sigh*
Each industry has it's naming conventions that are more or less accepted and used throughout that industry.
You are arguing about something apparently without understanding of what the other side is trying to say.

Are we now going to start discussions with a list of definitions so that people would understand each other?
Anyone heard of google search engine?

Basically, you aren't proving anything to anyone by claiming such-and-such is inherent proof that this-or-that should be removed/added/modified, when such-and-such is a highly arbitrary and unproven categorization. I could easily describe one of the pillars of DF's gameplay as "Interacting with the U.I." or "Visiting the Wiki," and that's kind of awesome, but it is still a matter of opinion as to whether Toady should emphasize (or de-emphasize) either of these pillars.
*sigh* x2
Interaction with UI is rarely considered to be a key game element, unless you are developing a hidden object game.
In which case it becomes important to consider how certain elements (like hints) will work etc etc.

He is stating his opinion, making use of the existence of forum (which purpose would be to let him do so) but he wrongly assumed people outside of game dev industry are familiar with certain internal concepts and terminology.
As your example shows, they aren't .

I was going to write more about your perspective, but this thread has become your personal soapbox and I'd rather not encourage that. Stick to constructive criticism and avoid writing things like "XXX ruins the game" and "Why you are all wrong about liking this game, the poorly constructed essay" and "Please come argue with me!". Like moths to a flame, or perhaps cheese makers to a pair of !!xXxcave spider silk trousersxXx!!, argumentative types are drawn towards these threads. There are better ways to phrase your thoughts, though people will still poke and prod despite your diplomatic efforts. Sometimes the best response is to give no response at all.[/i]
Ah, now. Gamedev is special for having people who tend to say things in such a manner that might appear rude to an outsider.
It is an industry specific behavior, I am afraid :) It happens.
Roots of this is that producers sometimes have no fk*g clue about what they are doing and you need to yell at them to get your point across.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 07:02:15 am by Evans »
function getlost ()
end
getlost ()

Celebrim42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2016, 07:45:53 pm »

No, disagreeing with your specific view of how the game should be is not "acting like DF is above criticism".

Look, I would love to argue with you about how the immigration should be implemented, and whether gamist, or simulationist, or narrativist logic should take priority and how to blend those concerns.  And I would love to give and take about what the most elegant mechanics are to achieve a particular effect.  I love all that stuff.

But the point is, you and no one else on the thread has actually done anything like that.  You don't have vision how it should work.  You don't have a mechanism in mind.  You don't even really understand what Toady's vision is nor can you explain it.  I'm arguing with people that think magic happens.   

You just have Faith.  And I've questioned your Faith, and now I must be condemned.

Celebrim42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2016, 07:59:50 pm »

The fact that masterwork granite statue of my current fort leader will depict him as raising masterwork dog bone bin created 2 years ago is bothering me as well.

So much in fact that I considered adding a suggestion(or necroing a thread with it, if it's there) that masterwork events should be removed from legends altogether.

lol

Yeah, there is something to that.  Or even if you didn't remove them, you could describe them in a more narrative fashion and only mark them with events if they truly were events.  Like, they might only be considered historical events if the creator had as their fondest ambition creating a work of art and it was their first one AND the item had notable value, and then you could have some sort quasi-story generator around that creation depending on the personality traits of the creator similar to what happens when you replace a noble and one of the nobles is shown weeping, or meekly stepping aside, or displaying relief, or angry or whatever.   But even then, it might be best to only make artifact creation - and only some artifact creation - a historical event.

All this would need to tie into a better emotion generation system.  Right now - despite never throwing parties - all my dwarves are on a one way bus to happy street, and they never seem to have any meaningful interaction nor do they bring that interaction to my attention by doing something, anything, to make me notice that a story is going on.   Now, if they had jobs like 'Courting a Lover' or 'Celebrating a Marriage' or 'Attending Wake of a Friend' or if my noble had a status like 'Mediating a Conflict', then I might notice and all this might have meaning.

Supposedly Toady is doing something with artifacts right now, so I'd like to see what he's thinking there before I'd advocate removing creating items from the historical events completely, but I definitely understand the concern.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]