Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bridge identification  (Read 1940 times)

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bridge identification
« on: August 24, 2016, 11:16:07 pm »

It'd be nice, though perhaps it'd make the game a bit more idiot-proof, if you could examine a completed bridge and observe which direction it will raise in.

This is not the sort of thing one likes to learn in the midst of a crisis.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
Re: Bridge identification
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 08:00:20 pm »

I think it's understandable to assume that the player would remember the layout of his/her own fort, so I can easily see why Toady didn't see it as important to include a directional reminder . . . but I also don't see any reason why it shouldn't be added.

Personally, the kind of drawbridge addition that I'd like to see is the trapdoor drawbridge: Open, it's horizontal and walkable. Pull the lever, and it suddenly drops right out from under you. It doesn't form an impassable wall like a raising drawbridge (the gap can still be cleared by flying/jumping), but you can pit a titan or colossus with it.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 09:39:45 pm »

I think it's understandable to assume that the player would remember the layout of his/her own fort, so I can easily see why Toady didn't see it as important to include a directional reminder . . . but I also don't see any reason why it shouldn't be added.

Personally, the kind of drawbridge addition that I'd like to see is the trapdoor drawbridge: Open, it's horizontal and walkable. Pull the lever, and it suddenly drops right out from under you. It doesn't form an impassable wall like a raising drawbridge (the gap can still be cleared by flying/jumping), but you can pit a titan or colossus with it.
I think that already exists, it's the default if you don't set a direction. Pull the lever and the bridge effectively vanishes.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 11:18:37 pm »

I think that already exists, it's the default if you don't set a direction. Pull the lever and the bridge effectively vanishes.
Yeah, that's a retracting bridge, which (like the raising bridge) becomes inoperable while a really big creature is standing on it. But I feel that dwarves should be savvy enough to design a bridge for the specific purpose of being a trapdoor, capable of pitting potentially any creature. Let the size limits of what critters can be dropped depend on the dimensions of the bridge itself, and the mass limits depend on the shear strength of the materials used to build said bridge . . . not by some arbitrary number that applies to all bridges everywhere.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 02:03:23 pm »

What we have now is a bridge that raises upwards in one direction like a castle bridge, which is called drawbridge:

The retracting bridge, that slides under your feet:

What SixOfSpades means is a bridge that works like this:
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 11:39:00 pm »

Aren't the last two functionally the same thing, as far as DF is concerned? If they weren't, then anyone standing on a retracting bridge would be pulled to safety, not dumped.

It's just the creature size that's an oddity.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 11:41:41 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 05:16:34 am »

Well the retracting bridge doesn't work when huge creatures are in it yeah, but it's also instantaneous, maybe that will change once we get mobile fortress pieces.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 06:11:54 am »

I hope bridges are a placeholder for moving fortress parts so that you have to accomodate for where to and how the bridge will move and not just have it disappear.

As for big creatures, I don't know if they're gonna be multi-tile like trees or not, Toady's mentioned it but also how hard it is to implement. If so, then the bridge should move and the creature either trip slightly or fall down whatever its size allows for. I'm not sure this is even possible.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 11:48:51 am »

Ah. I see. I've seen retracting bridges work for goblins, for for FB's, etc. yeah. That would be nice. Might be a balancing issue where the dwarves shouldn't have something so simple, but in reality cave-in traps aren't that much more sophisticated to design.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 04:31:10 pm »

Similarly, a simple but time-saving change would be ability to see how well-built and -designed a building is without having to look through hundred+ bridges in Room menu when coming back to/inheriting a fortress.

breadman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 12:48:47 pm »

Do hatches still work while huge creatures are standing on them?
Quote from: Kevin Wayne, in r.g.r.n
Is a "diety" the being pictured by one of those extremely skinny aboriginal statues?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 01:06:44 pm »

Do hatches still work while huge creatures are standing on them?
I think so. Just keep in mind that the important creatures are building destroyers, and would sooner destroy hatches than walk over.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?