Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress mode: annexation  (Read 1202 times)

Roofless

• Bay Watcher
  • Never had a glass industry
    • View Profile
Fortress mode: annexation
« on: August 25, 2016, 06:34:06 am »

I didn't find anything along these lines (except for suggestions of a reversed situation).

We don't know if current fortress status (independent expedition/barony/...) will survive the "starting scenarios" update, but I thought it should be a nifty option for dwarven civs to declare war on your fort if your fortress is very prosperous + keeps declining offers to join the parent civ as an official land.
Scenario A: parent civ gets annoyed/envious enough to think something like "let's make them join by force"
Scenario B: another dwarven civ sees that you are not an official land of any other dwarven civ, so you are a fair game for conquest

Both variants, surely, mean that there is a way for the game to separate combatants from non-combatants.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress mode: annexation
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 08:45:44 am »

I thought that dwarves were all one civ always and forever, it's probably part of their ethics, maybe someone can clarify. It doesn't make sense, there being wealth and hierarchy, that there wouldn't be something of the sort you're describing though.

In any case, I'm sure it will at least be there for human civs and most likely easy to mod into dwarven civs.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 07:50:36 pm »

In the case of a foreign dwarf civ trying to annex your fort, I support any realistic factor that creates penalties for embarking half the world away from your chosen civ's home territory.

In the case of your own civ possibly staging an attack . . . have you worked out the loyalty-cascade logistics of this?
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Roofless

• Bay Watcher
  • Never had a glass industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 02:42:58 am »

In the case of your own civ possibly staging an attack . . . have you worked out the loyalty-cascade logistics of this?
Yeah. I find it quite strange that, while you are not considered part of the civ's land, your dwarves are considered citizens of that civ.

To me, when you embark, the civ says "Go into the wild and prove you are worthy to be considered our land". Thus, every migrant is, technically, expelled from the civ until a later date, when the fortress joins the civ back.
So, if the fortress doesn't join, the dwarves are civ-less outcasts with no loyalties to other civs.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 04:27:37 pm »

I thought that dwarves were all one civ always and forever, it's probably part of their ethics, maybe someone can clarify
Nope. Wiki is your friend.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 04:38:23 pm »

I thought that dwarves were all one civ always and forever, it's probably part of their ethics, maybe someone can clarify
Cool, thanks. But i'm suspicious, I don't think I've ever seen other dwarf civs. Maybe it's because I'm always looking to embark near goblins, elves, humans and tower and don't care too much about dwarves.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 05:20:30 pm »

Yeah, in fort mode you only see other dwarf civ as visitors at best, though they indirectly affect more: Other civs might send armies to them instead of you and might immigrate/emigrate to/from their sites.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 01:06:56 am »

Cool, thanks. But i'm suspicious, I don't think I've ever seen other dwarf civs. Maybe it's because I'm always looking to embark near goblins, elves, humans and tower and don't care too much about dwarves.

Press tab a few times and you'll get a list. You have definitely seen multiple in one world, you just never interacted with them.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 03:27:03 am »

Oh nice, then I guess it's because diplomacy and trade are still not very developed.