Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Junta! Turn 1  (Read 3201 times)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
Junta! Turn 1
« on: August 25, 2016, 12:38:29 pm »

If you haven't played Junta the Boardgame before don't worry.
The Basic Premise is this: Five players take the roles of the High Command, the Junta of a not particularly closer-specified country and fight for money and power. In Junta the Boardgame, the Goal was to get as much Cash as possible and retire.

This game will work similiar in some ways and different in others. For one the Game doesn't end when everyone has retired or been exiled it continues on and your own Corruption and Decisions will influence the Countries Future.
In fact the game will run until a certain conditions are met, i will not tell you what these are, they might happen sooner or later depending on your Actions.

Anyyyhow, for you as the player you can a) set goals for yourself, maybe you truly have nothing but the Countries interests at heart...maybe you don't, or you can b) try and get as much cash out of the Country before retiring. However this does not mean that there are only four generallissimos left anymore, a new man will take your place to keep the balance in place. So over time we will end up with an entire list of retired Generals and Commanders, out of which the one with the most Cash will win once the game really ends.

Besides that there will be various other Achievements, Goals and other Fancy stuff to be had with which you can puff your chest and say "It was me who made our Country Great again!"

The Governmental Positions

Within the Government of our yet unnamed state there are various very important positions that are filled out by the players.
At the beginning of the Game the players vote for a President who from now on will rule the country officially. Afterwards he will dish out the initial Goverment Postings to the other players or keep them empty or to himself.
Whatever happens no player may hold more than two offices at any given time.

El Presidente
El Presidente is voted at the beginning of the Game by the five players and subsequently every five turns.
He has several powers:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Western and Eastern General
The Two Armies of our Country each need a General. These postings give the Gentlemen not only power over the army but they can also invest money into it to make it bigger, stronger and better.

Airforce General
The Airforce General has control over the Countries Paratroopers and Airforce. The Airforce can maintain only as many units as it has Airbases. An Airbase can contain 5 Units.

Admiral
The Admiral has control over the Countries Marines and Fleet.

Secret Police

The Commander of the Secret Police gets several very interesting abilities:

Commissioner
The Commissioner is in Charge of the Police Forces of the country.

Turn Order
1.Each Turn begins first with a check if the current president is still in power. If he is then we move on to phase 3
2. If the President has been deposed in the last round, the victorious revolters get to choose a new Presidente amongst themselves and disperse government offices anew.
3.Treasury Phase: Government investments are rolled and the President is paid out the current wealth of the treasury, which he then distributes as he sees fit.
4. Bidding and Buying Phase: Players invest their money as they see fit. If they want to "support" Factions they can do that.
5. Foreign Politics, Laws&Edicts Phase
6. Leisure,Espionage and Assassination Phase
7. Revolutionary Phase - here players can decide whether they want to depose the current presidente
8. Deposition Phase - if the rebellion was successful or failed this phase will decide the fate of the losers

Factions
There are various Political Factions within the Country which are but pawns of the Junta in its struggle. They can easily be bought with either coin or Laws and have various effects.

However Factions like to be wooed and usually the highest bidder gains their support, unless the President offers them even something better: laws that they really like...

Laws&Edicts
El Presidente can only change one law per turn, to a maximum of 5 if he manages to survive an entire Mandate. Laws have wildly differing effects, positive and negative and can luckily be repealed by those that come after you...

Allow/Forbid Freedom of Speech/to Protest
Why would any good dictator allow people to protest in the streets? Well for his own benefit of course.
Once enacted protests can no longer be dispersed by the military or the police, but el Presidente will gain the Support of the Students for the Rest of his Mandate. Riot Police will be dispersed for the moment.

Allow/Forbid Militias/Neighbourhood Watch
While guaranteed to lead to a Civil War it also allows your biggest supporters to bring in some heavier guns. Once enacted Factions will raise as many militiamen as they can which will even persist beyond the Forbidding of this law.

Exploit Natural Resources
Bring in the Big Companies from outside. Your Swiss Bank account grows by leaps and bounds, you gain the support of dubious corporate Mercenaries. The only drawback is that your country will suffer economically and the other Generals will not look upon you kindly.

Nationalize Economy
The opposing of the above. Will gain you great support among the People, however the Corporate Goons will support anyone with money and mercs who is willing to keep their investments intact.

Establish Free Elections
Factions vote instead of the Generallissimos...that is they vote for whoever has their support at the moment.

Establish/Disperse Death Squads
Removes or Establishes Death Squads.

Sign Geneva Conventions/Disavow Geneva Conventions
Removal of Spies and the Ability of the Navy/Air Force to rain fiery death upon your own population.

On top of these law and edicts there will be numerous more which will appear/disappear as the game progresses and have differing effects.

Assassinations

Assassinations work on a pretty simple principle:

First you hire an Assassin. If you are not the Chief of the Secret Police you can hire him during the bidding phase if any are available. Each unique assassin has different unique abilities, restrictions and prices.

Secondly you choose a target location. The Junta is very busy and may be in various locations. During the Leisure Phase the Generals have to be in one of several locations (the Bank, if they want to put money on their swiss account), at Home, in the Bar, the Brothel or the Marketplace.

Third; after everyone has put down their assassins it all comes down to the resolution. Who was where and which agents were put in which place. If an assassin and a victim are in the same place (without anyone there to prevent the killing) the victim is killed.

Various assassins agents and detectives may change that outcome. There is also one safe place: the Embassy. However if you spend more than two turns in an embassy you have to retire.

Detectives will additionally to preventing the assassination reveal the man who hired the assassin to the Chief Commissioner. No other player but the Commissioner will be informed that the assassination happened nor who it was.

Combat

Combat works on a simple d6 Principle. Different Units have to roll certain results to damage
Students/Protesters: 1 or less
Police: 2 or less
Militia/Riot Police: 3 or less
Soldiers/Mercenaries/DeathSquad/etc.: 4 or less
Tanks/Presidential Guard: 5 or less

If you played Axis and Allies before its the same principle. Soldiers and Tanks/Presidential Guards have 2HP (means they can be damaged twice before they go down). Both sides fire "Volleys" afterwards casualties are removed

Wars

Yup Wars are in. If you invade another country one of your armies has to move out. The respective player cannot engage in coups or other political shenangians beyond leading the troops in the foreign country.

Successfull Couping

El Presidente obviously won't sit a coup out in his Palace. Anytime during the coup he may decide to surrender to the rebels or the rebels might desire to surrender otherwise a coup ends once one side controls three of the vital buildings (the red ones on the map).

Regardless of how the coup ended, the next turn begins as if a new election would begin. However if the loyalists won and the presidente stayed in power, he will rule for an additional five years and may redistribute all council positions. He may also execute one of the rebels.
Alternatively players can go into exile and retire.
If the rebels win a new president will be elected and the old one is forcefully retired...or executed depending on what the rebels want to do with him.

Sign-Up Sheets
Nation Name: (that is for the first five players. So we have a name for our little decrepit state)
Culture/Region: (only important for fluff reasons. Are we in Eastern Europe? an Island in the Carribean? South-East Asia? again only relevant for the first five)
Character Name:

« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 10:21:49 am by Ghazkull »

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: Junta! (0/5 Players)
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 12:45:32 pm »

PTW.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 12:52:31 pm »

Nation Name: Cant think of a good one, will just go along with the flow.
Culture: Japanese, cowards are dishonorable!
Character Name: Miyamoto Musashi

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 01:49:11 pm »

Nation name: Forritania
Culture: European/Japanese mix. Why? Because Knights and Samurai at the same time!
Character name: Barrak Anglersfield
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 02:05:20 pm »

Ok, im pretty cool with European + Japanese mix so +1 to that.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 05:35:16 pm »

3 more and we are ready to go

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 06:48:59 am »

Nation name: Forritania
Culture: European/Japanese mix. Why? Because Knights and Samurai at the same time!

Character name : Sir Mellchett

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 08:51:36 am »

Voting for Forritania

Character name : Myetsu Raman
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 08:55:23 am »

One mroe and we are ready to go :D

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 10:38:29 am »

Forritania go!

Character name: William Hideo
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 11:36:02 am »

Replacement for when one of you inevitably dies.

Character name: Hans von Hanz
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 12:31:50 pm »

Turn 1

Ori Moshihito is surrounded by his friends and family, beyond it his subordinates and beyond them the people of Forritania.

His white ceremonial gown is drenched red and ripped where the Tanto had fulfilled its ritual motions, disembowelling the former Japanese Governor of the former Japanese Colony.

Quite amused you have watched from your positions in the ruling Junta. But now it is time to elect a new President. No a new Daijo Daijin; a Chancellor of the Realm for this newly independent Country.

And so the elections are opened. Officially public, fair and equal to appease the West in reality only five votes count.

Elections have opened, promise what you wish.

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 01:46:46 pm »

If I'm elected, I'll make sure the geneva convention never gets passed, make sure we don't allow militias, and will never exploit natural resources. Also, I'll never allow free voting. My public promise is to nationalize the economy and allow freedom of speech.
Can I vote for myself? If so, that's my choice.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 01:54:32 pm by Yourmaster »
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 02:09:16 pm »

I believe that we should not allow violent protest, enact partial Geneva regulations (on air and navy, not spies) and exploit our natural resources so as to further fund the country. We need to generate some money for our country and restore order after our coup, and I have a plan to do it. Does anyone agree with me?
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2016, 02:18:10 pm »

I believe in free speech, and that a nationalized economy is in our best interests. We need some stability on top of that, so I will forbid militias, and agree with my colleague General Anglersfield that a partial enactment of the Geneva convention will be good for Forritania.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4