Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Beronam - An experimental Orichalcum succession game.  (Read 10068 times)

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
Re: Beronam - An experimental Orichalcum succession game.
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2016, 12:15:32 pm »

I have not heard from Salmeuk in three weeks now, if he doesn't update by Sunday, or at least respond here or in PM, then I'm opening it up to anyone else who might want a go at things.  If no one in the next week then wants a go, I'll take another round at it and continue to hope someone takes an interest in this. 
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2016, 11:57:39 pm »

So... I guess I'm taking control again, yay?..  No save from Salmeuk, so.... resuming the earlier save, yay. 

Edit: and five seconds into unpausing, I'm made queen.  Guess you're all stuck with me forever.  -> insert evil laughter.  You shall make me tempered steel heavy gauntlets!  And occasionally earrings.  I have next to no empathy, fear me!   More story related comment will be tossed in when I actually do an update. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 09:39:24 pm by Evaris »
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2016, 11:06:47 am »

Spring, Year 501

So, after a night of dreams of a mad scientist taking control of our home and Onul going full megalomaniac, I woke up to everyone having apparently voted to make me queen of our new civilization.  So... I'm not sure how I feel about this, when I was hoping that I could reduce my duties, but no matter.  I'll just take advantage of this, I suppose. 

So, as an initial requisite, I set up a few new work orders, with some targets in mind.  Setting up myself a room befitting my new title is one thing, but more importantly I believe we should cover up some of our aquifer access with grates to prevent anyone from falling in.  Also, we should probably expand our mining from what we have at present, which means digging deeper. 

And with the royal appointment, I also have suggested a layout for my new lodgings, including an emergency panic room. 

To my suprise, we got a number of new escapees, a bowyer with some combat experience, an animal trainer with some metalsmithing experience, a poet, a talented gelder, a doctor/papermaker with combat experience, a master spinner, an accomplished weaponsmith with combat experience, and a novice fishcleaner.  With them they brought a keet, donkey, bull calf, yak, poult, and a baby alpaca.  Of which the donkey and yak are heading straight to the butcher. 

With this influx of labor, I set out to ban the export of our goods, largely as a symbolic gesture, given that we have a number of persons being introduced to me as their queen, and I assumed such demands might make me look the part.  Noble's demand people to make them things too, right?... I would like some new earrings...

Regardless, our miners soon after struck cassiterite, tetrahedrite, and pyrolustite.  I would have prefered things if we had found sphalerite rather than cassiterite, but beggers can't be choosers.  Hopefully we can get our forge up and running, and begin crafting arms and armor.

Finally, Rovod started acting strangely the other day, kicked everyone out of the mason's workshop, and came up with an amazing door, that seems impeccably made.  It is so awe inspiring, and closes so securely, that I immediatly demanded it replace our front door.  I do so hope our summer will go as quietly.

(so, apparently cobalt, conife, and tempered conife don't appear in the forge menus for some unknown reason... I have bars of cobalt, but there is no way to use it?  Just... what? I've double checked the RAWs.... I don't understand what's wrong?  Tempering Conife shows up as an option at the batch furnace, but isn't an option at the forge to use for anything... So I'm just wondering what the circus is up with Cobalt and it's alloys. Did I mess up the RAWs somewhere?;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
)
-> and end of spring. Next update sometime this week, probably Wednesday. 

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2016, 09:13:23 am »

Well, that went badly on Salmeuk.

On the bright side, great to see that you still have spirit to continue.

I suppose the aquifer pit is to provide water?

And will you make the bowyer hunt on evil embark?

I don't think I'd ever prefer sphalerite to cassiterite, vanilla. What changes you mind?

Nice black door.

As for using it, tried using the manager menu to order it made? I've had this happen with ash glazing, manager working but workshop menu not.

Not a modder, so can't comment more than that.

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2016, 11:25:08 am »

Well, that went badly on Salmeuk.

On the bright side, great to see that you still have spirit to continue.

I suppose the aquifer pit is to provide water?

And will you make the bowyer hunt on evil embark?

I don't think I'd ever prefer sphalerite to cassiterite, vanilla. What changes you mind?

Nice black door.

As for using it, tried using the manager menu to order it made? I've had this happen with ash glazing, manager working but workshop menu not.

Not a modder, so can't comment more than that.

Because I made the brass values in Orichalcum that of Roman Brass / Casing brass (30% zinc), which is significantly stronger than decorative brass.  It's also got better tensile strength than bronze, albeit not as much compressive strength.  Furthermore, with manganese, there is the option to make manganese bronze, which is 10% zinc, 10% manganese, and 80% copper, and is basically untempered steel grade.  Plus, tempered brass is stronger than tempered bronze.

All metals, if you're interested at looking at the changes;
http://pastebin.com/QRAi9GEq

Otherwise, I've gotten through summer, update whenever I get to writing out from my notes. 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 11:30:48 am by Evaris »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2016, 08:21:36 pm »

Mm. I see. In vanilla, I'd want sphalerite for basically two reasons:

1) yellow color when I don't have any silver or gold but have copper.

2) If I don't have any pewters (no tin), 250-300 tier empty minecart weight.

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2016, 01:46:28 am »

Just going to drop my notes so I can move forward;

Summer 501

1st Hematite.  We have some lively guests. 

The siege is led by a pair of kobold hunter/necromancers, who apparently were overcome by terror from the get-go. 

Oh, and 31 zombies. 

6th Hematite.  Which are quickly being turned into mush by a now angry mountain titan on account of him losing another pet, and as a result of which he has been cutting off zombie limbs and sending them flying with nothing but his pair of trousers, and the occasional kick and punch.  Ipan seems to be killing more of them via trouser-head-crushing than anything else.  Also, the necromancers swiftly ran away upon seeing this, apparently. 

8th Hematite.  Apparently undead can feel fear, as there is a goblin bowman corpse running from our resident titan.  This corpse also somehow is running away while lacking legs, arms, ears, and eyes. For his part, Ipan doesn't have too many injuries to speak of after spending a week smashing zombies to death. 

Those dents are all from Molybdenum weapons and arrows, bronze and weaker didn't even do that much, it seems.  (for the record, molybdenum is about twice the strength of iron and bronze, and has about the same density as silver.  Tempered Bronze is only slightly stronger, which is the best metal we presently would have access to, were we to go through manufacturing it.  ) 

18th Hematite.   Our exploratory mine shafts found native copper. 

4th Malachite.  Ipan appears to have taken an interest in tree climbing, having been distracted by birds from his chasing the partial goblin corpse. 

10th Galena.  Struck gold in exploratory shaft.  Setting up a stone stockpile for ores for the smelter once a room gets cleared out.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2016, 08:46:13 am »

Kobold hunter necromancer...Right, natural ambushers. Seems they fear the power they harness...Though who did they worship to get a slab >_>

But even the undead and liches are afraid of the titans. Hehehehe. Keep the titan around as superweapon?

It is an unique situation to be damaged without steel.

I wonder if max speed wooden minecart loaded with rock boulders would mess it up?

Any new gold alloys? I usually like gold for going to purple and yellow coloration.

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2016, 01:25:35 pm »

Autumn 501

Really turned out to be less eventful, I considered combining it with winter, but figured I'd just post instead.

16th limestone

A trading caravan?  And some migrants; a fisherdwarf and a high master herbalist.  For animals, we have a single piglet.

22nd limestone

Ipan seems to have noticed the door was open and came out of his tree...

24th limestone

For the cost of a dead piglet, we now have Ipan trapped between our drawbridge and artifact door.  I'm just going to seal off that door to be safe... And for the new entrance I'm going to put the levers in the dining hall where someone can actually reach them in a reasonable amount of time. 

20th sandstone

still working on hauling right now, merchants leave.  New entrance is designated but has yet to be touched.

26th timber

Datan Uzolkobel is taken by a fey mood, begins work on a mysterious construction. 

-> end of fall. 

@fleeting; No, there's no new gold alloys, though rose gold got a tensile strength buff versus what's in the vanilla RAWs, given I went with a higher copper content alloy for Orichalcum. 

So the plan right now to make use of the metals we presently have available;
1. Rose gold morningstars
2. Platinum warhammers (not many, sadly, but we can make a few, probably will be the last weapons smithed on account of that.  By a few, I mean we have just three nuggets to my knowledge, so 12 bars?)  [also, possibly make them morningstars instead, or maces, given we have four macedwarves and no other military dwarf types right now, so.. yeah.]
3. Silver bolts.  (Seems the most effective use of silver to me.)
4. Arsenical Bronze armor.  (it's slightly stronger than regular bronze, not as strong as tempered, but much more fuel efficient than tempered bronze.) 
5. Steel or tempered steel Breastplates / helmets.  (we have at least one hematite vein on the ground-level z height, I'd like to tap it, but not sure how much iron we effectively have yet, and given how much fuel tempered steel uses, it might be limited to regular steel.  So, assuming that we're going to need to ration it, plus I'm uncertain how much fuel we will have.)
5. Lead for non-military objects.

Edit:

Winter 501

4th Moonstone

So, Datan created another legenday door.  Probably the most practically useful thing that could have been made, though I was somewhat hoping for a throne. 

... Nothing else of note happened this winter, to be honest, besides a kea stealing from the corpses outside.  ... I may also have gotten distracted and not done as much as I could have over the season planning-wise, but even going over the reports shows nothing of interest happened, so... not too worried about it.  Going to move forward with the next year to.. well I want to say "build interest" but given that Fleeting is the only one really actively watching, it's honestly mostly just to keep myself occupied on my four-day weekend, given no one else seems interested in having a turn at the moment.   I'll keep doing short report style posts for the months, and finish up at the end with a story segment, I think.   
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 05:37:20 pm by Evaris »

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2016, 12:20:06 pm »

Year 502

20th Granite:  New desert titan appears.  Time to release Ipan, I suppose.  Or rather have the desert titan and Ipan duke it out inside of a closed off room to prevent that deadly blood from getting on anyone apparently.  Well, that worked out.

25th Granite:  Ipan came out on top to no suprise, though a little worse for wear. 

2nd Felsite:  A single migrant arrived, a cook/miller/butcher. 

8th Felsite: We get the surface opened up and proceed to loot everything we can, including what was left behind by the caravan, many people vomit.  Something seems to be causing widespread bruising to a number of people, though whether it's from the stinking sludge, or Ipan's dust, I am not quite sure.  However, given how there are so few showing such symptoms so far, I am going to assume it's the latter for the moment, barring the opportunity for better testing.  However, due to some injuries appearing to be more severe... I'm going to close off surface access for the moment. 

12th felsite; Dobar ingizlushon, a farmer, has been posessed.  Thank goodness we have that alpaca.  And he made... a quern?  I mean I'm flattered, really, but... a quern?   

2nd Malachite:  Set about having some statues made to liven up the place. 

22nd Galena:  Litast Kulingoden withdraws from society. 

5th limestone:  And he made... a statue?  Well, there's some irony there, but alright?

17th limestone: merchants again, still no depot to let them unload at, and all dwarves are currently too busy elsewhere to build a depot. 

12th Sandstone:  Apparently a few merchants and hammerdwarfs were mysteriously found dead outside... I have no idea what took them out, weather or amusher or who knows what.  All the more reason to not open that door. In other news, we found microcline, so porcelain will be an option.  And Since I built a new stockpile for all the bars that were cluttering the smelter.... well this could take a while for hauling.  On the other hand, production of rose gold morningstars and aresnical bronze armor has begun, finally, so military training can begin soonish.

18th Timber:  We found native aluminum.  Will make for some nice kite shields down the line.  On account of it being pure aluminum, there's not much else it's practical for, though I suppose it could also make some furniture down the line... but I think shields would be better. 

5th Moonstone:  Udib Bebmailnod, a weaver, was taken by a fey mood, and actually took the clothier's shop over... begging for yarn cloth.  WHY IS IT ALWAYS YARN, THE TYPE OF CLOTH WE DON'T HAVE???  Well, I suppose we had some yarn thread, thankfully, and was able to make it into cloth, but still.  I hate how often strange moods go for yarn.

It was a sock.  Of course it was Urist.  Of course it was a sock.

-> end of year. 

Going to take a day off from this, see if anyone wants a turn, then if not, I'll take another round to keep things going. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 05:58:08 pm by Evaris »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2016, 07:19:46 pm »

- Yay no-pan!

- I suppose with evil weather the entrance can be however long it wants to  be. Though it'd be neat to get aboveground orchard as longterm project.

- Rose gold buff? I assume it got a density drop, then, as it previously had exact same stats as gold. Still, artifact-grade morningstars is quite crazy.

- Arsenical....Hm, that was what, cinnabar?

- I recommend going for best weapons and shields you can first and then training up with low tier armor - armor user is bit harder to mass train (though, reanimating embark so attack undead hair with two shields), so you'd still want some for your "half time milita", but as dwarves grow attached to shields and weapons making them start out with decent ones is good.

- Nice black door.

- Seems like they killed each other?

Ah well, no I guess. Pig iron is immune to syndromes after all.

Installed cleaning systems yet?

- Pretty quern. Is there anything to mill, tho...

- Roomy. Not sure what's the purpose of the roms right above original seven's beds?

- Surprised you don't have aluminium in some alloy.

That said, it means this is igneous extrusive, as that's the only place aluminium occurs.

- You wouldn't have strange moods for yarn so often if you made sure nobody ever mooded as clothier or weaver, setting those labours on more used professions.

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2016, 08:58:42 pm »

- I suppose with evil weather the entrance can be however long it wants to  be. Though it'd be neat to get aboveground orchard as longterm project.

Well, it's not much longer, but I'm at least hoping to build a underground tree farm / aboveground crop farm... eventually, maybe, hopefully.

- Rose gold buff? I assume it got a density drop, then, as it previously had exact same stats as gold. Still, artifact-grade morningstars is quite crazy.

Only a slight one, it's still denser than silver.

- Arsenical....Hm, that was what, cinnabar?

Arsenic, from Realgar.  IRL, 1-3% Arsenic added to a medium tin bronze (~10-12% tin) increases the tensile strength by ~30%, alongside darkening the metal and improving casting consistency.  Downside is toxic fumes IRL, but in-game I skipped over it given it's something that usually just kills via lung cancer over the course of years, not something immediately lethal.  Anyhow, for the alloy, the Orichalcum reaction is 3 bars of bronze + 1 bar arsenic = 4 bars arsenical bronze.  We have enough abundance of ore for it, so I figured run with the mass production.

- I recommend going for best weapons and shields you can first and then training up with low tier armor - armor user is bit harder to mass train (though, reanimating embark so attack undead hair with two shields), so you'd still want some for your "half time milita", but as dwarves grow attached to shields and weapons making them start out with decent ones is good.

We've got more armor-grade metal than we have weapons-grade, but I am churning out silver bolts to train weaponsmith alongside the armor, and some morningstars here or there.

Installed cleaning systems yet?

I'm not good with pumps, I'm hoping whoever takes over after me, if anyone ever does, will take care of that.  If I end up being stuck never to have a replacement, I'll at least put it off a few more in-game years until I have some safeties in place for the inevitable case of my drowning everyone.

- Pretty quern. Is there anything to mill, tho...

Not really, so kinda pointless.

- Roomy. Not sure what's the purpose of the roms right above original seven's beds?

I was made royalty, therefore we need royal rooms to prevent excessive demands.

- You wouldn't have strange moods for yarn so often if you made sure nobody ever mooded as clothier or weaver, setting those labours on more used professions.

There was yarn on that quern too.  And if I'm not mistaken,  the one who made the sock came as a migrant as a high master weaver, so that's an issue.

My replies in teal :p 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 09:47:20 pm by Evaris »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2016, 09:34:52 am »

- Tricky thing about aboveground orchard would be the issue of airshears. Might be better to channel out a depression and then remove the roof for new trees to grow, but even with that the timing could be tight. Maybe with stockpiling blocks nearby and pulling military alert to get the whole population nearby just before caving in ceiling.

- Ah, not up to date with my "should be poisonous but is fine" materials. Realgar's only in small clusters, so not much of that though.

I think you can make syndromes have very long duration, but it takes an unusual kind of fortress where you can't say "goodbye to the old furnace operator, welcome hauler #52, now new furnace operator".

- What's the melting efficiency on a morningstar anyway? Haven't gotten much of them so always found them too rare and precious to mass-melt.

Anyway, don't think quality matters much for armor, though not sure it is less than for blunt materials. Used to be about 6% improvement from nothing to masterwork in DF2012 iirc?

- I think the absolute minimum is 1 ramp in entrance pathway filled to 2/7 by bucket brigade. Though I think that collects syndromes to stick to any unclothed animals who goes through - which may be a defensive benefit when dwarves are unarmed.

It was interesting to read about in Battlefailed reclaim, the adults were fine but the poor children trying to pick up clothes....

More complicated, auto-water cleaning systems are of course possible. With the aquifer, you don't even need a single pump tbh.

- Good rooms prevent demands? Hm, news to me.

- Yeah can't do much about high master weavers. Best you can do is give them a pick and stick into expanding/military sparring (military would be slower than mining soil, but wiki says active military cannot mood, so there's that).

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2016, 11:18:54 am »

- Tricky thing about aboveground orchard would be the issue of airshears. Might be better to channel out a depression and then remove the roof for new trees to grow, but even with that the timing could be tight. Maybe with stockpiling blocks nearby and pulling military alert to get the whole population nearby just before caving in ceiling.

The plan is to dig out an area a few z levels underneath, then get everyone out of the area, wall off the room, collapse the roof, then just make a wooden ceiling.  Not sure how long everyone will be able to survive up top with the rain being as it is, but the muck in the northeast corner seems to just cause panic/horror/fear type effect things and not injuries, and I think I could get it done in a single season if I planned things out.  Given the timing of sieges and titans so far, it will probably be a winter thing.

- Ah, not up to date with my "should be poisonous but is fine" materials. Realgar's only in small clusters, so not much of that though.

I think you can make syndromes have very long duration, but it takes an unusual kind of fortress where you can't say "goodbye to the old furnace operator, welcome hauler #52, now new furnace operator".

Yeah I'm not sure trying to figure out a syndrome for smelting realgar is really worth it.  That aside, changed it from just small clusters to also appear in veins in Orichalcum, given it does do veins IRL.  And we have veins of relagar on this map.  Smelting it also yields sulfur powder (which gets collected in bags)

- What's the melting efficiency on a morningstar anyway? Haven't gotten much of them so always found them too rare and precious to mass-melt.

I.. honestly have no idea what the melting efficiency on morningstars is.

Anyway, don't think quality matters much for armor, though not sure it is less than for blunt materials. Used to be about 6% improvement from nothing to masterwork in DF2012 iirc?

The main bonus to higher grades of armor is deflection vs projectiles, especially in newer versions.  And with orichalcum having a few lower-velocity ranged weapons vs vanilla (ex, shortbow, throwing knives), it should make a noticeable difference when going against kobolds or gobilns.  Also I'm just sitting on a really large pile of copper, tin, and arsenic; and it seems the best use of those ores regardless.

- I think the absolute minimum is 1 ramp in entrance pathway filled to 2/7 by bucket brigade. Though I think that collects syndromes to stick to any unclothed animals who goes through - which may be a defensive benefit when dwarves are unarmed.

It was interesting to read about in Battlefailed reclaim, the adults were fine but the poor children trying to pick up clothes....

More complicated, auto-water cleaning systems are of course possible. With the aquifer, you don't even need a single pump tbh.

Yeaaah, maybe, though not sure whether it will reduce the amount of syndrome spread or increase it, with a stagnant pool like that...

- Good rooms prevent demands? Hm, news to me.

Not so much prevent but if all needs are met, nobles make demands at half the rate as otherwise, or thereabouts, in my observations.  No emperical numbers to prove that, but regardless, given the royalty in question is my dorf, I will have my royal rooms.  :p

- Yeah can't do much about high master weavers. Best you can do is give them a pick and stick into expanding/military sparring (military would be slower than mining soil, but wiki says active military cannot mood, so there's that).

And too much to do still with too few dwarves to take a weaver responsible for bag and clothing production away from their work when everyone is starting to complain about having old clothing that's falling apart.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]