Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trying to do a new dwarf fortress let's play / play through series  (Read 995 times)

herblin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I want to try to target experienced players as well as new players.  Try to show new people the amazing bits of dwarf fortress for what it is.  Trying a fast forward approach instead of cutting scenes.  Showing people how long / detailed everything is, while speeding up time while I wait for digging, or wait for Urist to wake up and get to work etc.

Also trying to show the fundamentals of game play while having fun.  New / Returning to game commentary very rusty!

https://youtu.be/0qKsioMM7U8

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to do a new dwarf fortress let's play / play through series
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 08:58:39 am »

Kewleo, count me in
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

herblin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

herblin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 07:19:03 am »

Ended up loosing almost everyone to werecamels in #4 :(
https://youtu.be/BqjlzXnZiE4

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 08:56:31 am »

I want to try to target experienced players as well as new players.  Try to show new people the amazing bits of dwarf fortress for what it is.  Trying a fast forward approach instead of cutting scenes.  Showing people how long / detailed everything is, while speeding up time while I wait for digging, or wait for Urist to wake up and get to work etc.

Also trying to show the fundamentals of game play while having fun.  New / Returning to game commentary very rusty!

Use dfhack if you are doing a video highlight.  With some planning, you can showcase what you want and have the available population to complete things given a scenario. 

fastdwarf 1 1 will make them go super fast and teleport. 

with createitems:
- you can conjure up steel bars or even masterwork weapons and armor pieces. 
- you can conjure up countless food/plant that you don't need to worry about food, make barrels too. 
- you can conjure up leather or cloth and showcase those industries.

with autodump, you can clean up clutter.

with DFTools,
- you can embark with more than 7 dwarves, and even change their stats up to the max of 5000 each, or even legendary already.
- you can change their genders and orientations too

There are also plenty of help for worldgen parameters to get a particular embark biome / area you want to.