Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we take mate off of the "List of Important People"?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 01, 2016, 07:55:06 pm

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 43

Author Topic: Gloomdiamonds: The End of the Story (Finished)  (Read 53014 times)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gloomdiamonds: A Familiar Darkness Falls on Us
« Reply #450 on: December 24, 2016, 06:42:40 pm »

*grumbles angrily about indignities* 

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: December 24, 2016, 08:43:31 pm »

The Soaper Has Died!!!

"All is Lost, abandon hope, we shall never prevail!!! Pray to whatever gods you deem fit!"

*slap*

"Ow, why'da do that?"

"Snap out of it, Angel will come back and possess another poor soul."

"Whatever you say master."

"Good, now to talk about my new quarters, YOU mister New Overseer, I was thinking a palace for me, whatever you start, I'll finish when I get the Rutile hat."

[OOC: The rutile hat is the symbol of overseership in-universe, and what shame it is to see one of our brethren fall so soon. Does Angel want another dwarf?]
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 08:45:30 pm by TheImmortalRyukan »
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Wight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: December 25, 2016, 01:47:26 am »

Yeah scourge iit is not your fault for real. I fixed it pre crash but did not remember the second go. Also I intend to lock you in the well room until you drink. Because I like the thought of the vampire slayer becoming that which he hates most. Unless that does not work. In which case I guess it will just be a potential plot point for later.
This Signature Is Left Blank till I see something Awesome to put here

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #453 on: December 25, 2016, 08:00:24 am »

Sign me for a turn. I can make magic happen.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: December 25, 2016, 08:49:42 am »

Ah, NCommander, the person who managed to pull Doomforest out of the FPS pit and return to another golden age...

Let me check to see if the list is open for another spot.

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: December 25, 2016, 08:51:23 am »

Also, it would seem my link to The World Map has gone. I think I have a picture of the world on my computer still....

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: December 25, 2016, 09:14:05 am »

"LET ME OUT OF HERE OR MAY THE STARCATS SEND UNTOLD HORROR ON YOUR SOUL"

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: December 25, 2016, 09:24:54 am »

⁓̛ These are the best kind of problems!

Heh. Well, I don't really feel like that though. I like to behold beauty.

⁓̛ I usually shy away from brown color, whether it is sandstone or wood.

But it looks quite nice combined with the gypsum areas. Some fungiwood would be great for golden beds.

Dark red and green also go great with it, so maybe dye clothes to one o those two.

But augh on the cyan-brown combination. Yellow and cyan can work out nicely, brown and cyan...not so much.

Which prompts interesting feeling for  the west wing o' bedrooms. Boundary between beautiness and ugliness....

⁓̛ I usually resize the windows, but this max size screenshot is useful for getting the conquerings to take one line apiece.

I shall definitely be copying that.

As for the contents, hm, 1,2...11 conquerors. They're going to fight each other and then leave you the biggest scrap :(

⁓̛ I see you tesselated the pattern and picked the workshops. Curious picks, that

have led me to ask: Going to build a shining white and clean and pure soap castle?

⁓̛ Hm, a fleshy webber. Not firesafe, I suppose, but still weaponizable I suppose.

Hm, I wonder if you enable web collecting on the military, will they go out to collect the webs the moment beast gets into fight, ignore the webs and slay the beast?

Heh. If there's cave spiders, can use burrows with a loom to carefully direct web collectors/military to desired areas while safely passing over webbed traps.

That said, that seems rather poor place to fight.

⁓̛ Teardrop shaped tavern?

It has few shared tables, but...I like the shape. I hope some of those elves and humans hanging around will join the fort, for they need no tavernkeeper to give them alcohol.

As for the vampire, I shed no tears. Some sacrifices are necessary. Though I fear the blood will get washed into walls.

Also, a spattering is not enough to vamp - it needs to be a pool. Withdraw a bucket of water to double-check that it is laced with dwarf blood.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: December 25, 2016, 12:25:41 pm »

Someone artistically inclined: do a scene showing PhychoAngel's body on a raised platform (I have no idea what one is called) with the entire assemblage of the fortress present to say their farewells to the Soaper/ Glasser

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: December 25, 2016, 12:35:32 pm »

Since you posted about it twice now, I went back and doublechecked whether somebody died.

Now, I again scrolled past it and went "ah, just another random dwarf died to webber FB; situation normal". Took me Ctrl+Fing "died" to find it.

Ah well, not like PsychoAngel has used the character since handing over the reins to next overseer ^^;;
And looking at the lack of green and teal in Wight's screenshot, not much of value was lost.

(Yes, I know kinda incongruous. It's ok to have them horribly die, but not to erase their very minds, relationships and reality to replace with body snatcher?)

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: December 25, 2016, 10:31:22 pm »

In the Dreamscape

Ryukan sat upon a hill, under a tree looking out upon a moon-lit plain. A gentle breeze permeated the air, the tall grass swayed hypnotically.

"Ah, I wish I could just stay here forever, no worries, no responsibilities." Ryukan sighed heavily.

"Ryyuuukkkaaaaannnnnnn"

"Now what," Ryukan sighed.

"Ryukan, turn from this path." A ghost bound in chains appeared before him. "The path of power only leads to a life of emptiness!"

"Fuck off Marley, wrong story by the way."

"Tis does not matter what story this may be, the lesson still holds true. A lesson must be taught, or else you will wear these chains as I do now"

"You know that would scare a whole lot more if I weren't immortal." Ryukan tactfuly replied, still sitting under the tree.

"All things must pass on from life Ryukan. You must heed my words."

"I know you're doing your job, but please leave me in peace."

"Ryukan, tonight you will be visited by three spirits, they will take you and show you wha-"

*BOOM*

Ryukan lowered his Plasma Rifle, "Gotta love the dreamscape" Ryukan took a deep breath, "ah, peace and quite..."

The wind blew gently over the star-lit plain.

[OOC: Merry Christmas Guys, I wanted to have a full blown A Dwarfmas Charol, but I didn't have the time, so hope you enjoyed my bad attempt at humor :D ]
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 10:35:48 pm by TheImmortalRyukan »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: December 26, 2016, 01:01:17 am »

I'd like to request a dwarf and a turn, if possible.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #462 on: December 26, 2016, 01:23:35 am »

Ah, NCommander, the person who managed to pull Doomforest out of the FPS pit and return to another golden age...

Let me check to see if the list is open for another spot.

Says a lot when 20 FPS is out of the pit. I've been trying to generate a single player world for a bit but just haven't been happy with the overall results as of yet -_-; Thinking I need to find a reanimator biome but damned if I can get worldgen to appease me.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Wight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: December 30, 2016, 05:20:25 pm »

Diary of Izak Willtorch 03 14
   The more I look into this janitors scribbled notes the more I begin to worry. There's mentions of a great disaster which can only be stopped by some strange substance. In addition he carved out large sections of the fortress without really knowing why. So now there is a huge series of interconnected rooms who's purpose is unknowable. The mess of the recent battle is still scattered about the staircase. And the pile of bodies to be disposed of is massive. Well perhaps not massive. Considering that we did fight a creature that has existed since before the first dwarf was even a thought I would call our pile of corpses moderate. But nonetheless this does mean that there are coffins to fill and slabs to engrave. It wouldn't be nice of me to leave the next overseer a horde of disgruntled ghosts to deal with.

Spoiler: ZZZs (click to show/hide)
   The sleeping bodies of Izak Willtorch and Zoey RoyalBodice did little to reveal the things shown to them that night. The sky shining bright exposing the entire fortress to the suns yellow glow. And below the sound of a hundred creatures like the one they just fought off. Only this time there is something different about them. The brave warriors who dare to try and hold them in the stairwells find themselves covered in fluids erupting from the beasts. And on every patch of dwaven skin touched by the fluids erupts a layer of pustules and boils. The skin melts and causes the poor warriors great suffering. But wait. What is this? One familiar in spirit but not in flesh. He holds in his hands a brick whiter than the sun above, more powerful than the demons below oh and it keeps those damn boils from going so crazy. If only they had a way to obtain one of these all powerful bricks. If only.
“Have you any idea how stupid you sound talking to yourself?”
“Oh quit it. You know the process of implanting these thoughts as well as any other. Besides adding tension helps make the memories stick... Didn't really count on the girl being there though... Suppose that just means two heads rather than one.”
“Why not just tell them the formula? It's not like it is that complicated.
“Just revealing the answer to them wouldn't make sure that they as well as their society as a whole bother to remember how to make the stuff.”
“But there was one once before who's bricks saved the entire kingdom.”
“Ahh but only in a time before time. It is no longer history. Just legend.”
“But if these ones cannot summon the soaper...”
“Then they won't survive the plague to come.”
Diary of Izak Willtorch 03 26
   I have woken from a long sleep. I now know why the Janitor sought to create this fifth cleanser of his. Such dreams must have been his curse. And in taking the rutile hat of leadership I have also taken his curse. But what would a simple stonecrafter know about making cleaning agents? I find myself wondering if I could give the hat to someone else they would take the curse with them. Somehow I doubt it. But perhaps If I can make this white brick I can stop the curse altogether. Or perhaps I should destroy the object that gave me this curse. It would without doubt cause much outrage. But I am sure it would be worth it.

“So uh. Overseer!”
“What is it?”
“Well I've had that fat made into tallow as you requested”
“What? What Fat?”
“The beast! We took it into that new kitchen you had us make butchered the bastard then made his fat into tallow. The paperwork says not to cook it so...”
“Tell me... What is your Name?”
“TourBegins. I was there during the battle of the stairwell. Saw a lot of... But tha's not important. I want to know what to do with this damn tallow. If I canne' Cook it there isn much reason for it ta be in ma' wey.”
“Why don't you just put it in a stockpile for now... And show me that paperwork. I do not remember issuing that order.”
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dear Diary,
   Today I have committed treason. The sort for which most dwarves would find themselves executed. I took some paperwork from the overseers office an commissioned a few places to be built. Just kitchens and butchers shops for now. But I believe that with just a little more effort I can unlock the secret of the white brick. See while that fool Izak was staring at piles of corpses and bedazzled by  brilliant battles I sought something far more important. Ingredients. So far I have nailed down Tallow and oil as possible ingredients. And why make simple tallow when we can use what the great beast left us. How poetic. To use the flesh of one beast to fend off another.
   In other news who's discovery will not get me executed I have made my last slab. I know that chances are that this gods forsaken place will soon have need for more but such morbid work ill suits me. So for now I am back to making coffers and Armor Stands. If I understand correctly there is some talk of replacing all inferior furniture with masterworks. What a wonderful thought. After all I seem to make most of the furniture around here anyway. But how nice would it be for everyone to sit on the nicest of seats and sleep in the finest of beds (I suppose someone else will have to make those) I certainly can see the benefits.

Diary of Izak Willtorch 04 03
Summer brings with it ill omens indeed. A werebeast has come. And we've no way to secure the fortress in time. I am not very experienced in such matters but have decided to send the millitary to defend the entrance to the fortress. Hopefully The Armored Braids are a good choice for this encounter.

It seems that the WereShrew has reverted to its human form. The Sparks are being sent to subdue and hopefully capture it.

Diary of Izak Willtorch 04 07
   It would seem that some of the nobility is less than pleased with their current living arrangements. I am sorely tempted to simply assign the obnoxious noble to the soon to be emptied reservoir (Which will then be the soon to be filled reservoir) but have decided against it. I doubt the StarCats would be pleased if I was to assassinate their king. So instead Zoey is making more furniture. Not that she minds.  To “Celebrate” this new exciting mission I have made a crown of diorite. It's actually pretty good for a work done in anger.
Diary of Izak Willtorch 04 10
   There are a lot of reports of a bucket shortage. I'm having our grandmasters of carpentry and metalworking make a few. I wonder where they're all going?
Diary of Izak Willtorch 04 13
   What an eventful month this is indeed. The office is built and furnished to the liking of the CatKing and we've been visited by a human diplomat. But to top it all off one of the carpenters stopped speaking and ran off to his workshop. I caught a look at some of his notes. Strange. No words just some drawings. Hope this RoomFaces fella makes us something worthy of the title Legendary. Else I'll just have him killed.
Diary of Izak Willtorch 04 21
   RoomFaces has indeed made us something quite useful. An animal trap that can be used to catch even the greatest of vermin. I suppose this will mean that he will NOT be executed. Darn. I was looking forward to finding creative ways to dispose of a dwarf. Might as well practice for when the next noble gets too uppity.

OOC: What a shell of a post. I was hoping the soaper would be back by the time I posted this... Looks like Civ bit deep (Was it civ he said he would be obsessed with for awhile?) Oh and I thought I would attach an image of Pyrite drinking deep. Thanks Frames!!!

« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 11:51:10 pm by Wight »
This Signature Is Left Blank till I see something Awesome to put here

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: December 30, 2016, 07:05:20 pm »

̛ Got to love wooden doors on NS walls

The maze stretches on and on, though. And what's with the mysterious ramp spiral?

̛ Do the soaps actually do anything on FB syndromes?

Or are their effects limited to infections?

I don't know myself, and I don't even know anyone who could  tell you u.u

̛ I loath death, I fear death, I...probably would be too lazy to seek the secrets of life and death.

̛ Werebeasts...Best handled by distraction of pets and furniture. As long as they can't bite your milit....

Welp. Lets hope they're trained well enough to not get hit.

Ah well, went better than even that yet. Yesterday, I had wererhino whale on a turtle so long by the time they appeared they were already turned back into a goblin.

̛ Ah, bucket reports. Useful to find out if multiple someones are locked away and dehydrating at times. Gotta love it.

̛ Pyrite sure has mismatch of skills.

And oh, does the fort look cluttered.

Now, as for your image question...

Code: [Select]
[spoiler=spoiler text][img]image link.png[/img][/spoiler]
You might also be interested in a way to quickly crop and upload images. I'm running on lubuntu - similar enough - so might as well share the

That calls imgur-screenshot.sh. (Technically sufficient by itself for cropping an area and uploading it, but I like to name the screenshots, keep the links and sort them into folders, ex giving image name df/name to place it into df folder)

Then I call it.sh (given executable, non-modifiable permissions) with shift-PrtScr. (With variants for shotting the entire window or entire screen.)

This pops up a window for half a minute (cats!) that asks for name or folder/name, then lets one use scrot to shoot an area, then passes that image to imgur, which passes back the link into clipboard, which is then partially tacked on to the end of the filename of the shot image (without the /s to avoid path annoyances).

(Potential improvement: Tack image tags onto the beginning and end of clipboard link. Too lazy to implement for now.)
(Downside of the scrot seems to be white top and left lines for me. Too lazy to get rid of for now. )
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 07:11:30 pm by Fleeting Frames »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 43