Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we take mate off of the "List of Important People"?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 01, 2016, 07:55:06 pm

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 43

Author Topic: Gloomdiamonds: The End of the Story (Finished)  (Read 53027 times)

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
Re: Gloomdiamonds: The Twilight of the Saga
« Reply #585 on: February 20, 2017, 10:32:51 pm »

Guys, this guys streams are hilarious. Watching him fumble throughout our fort and pondering why we have a fuckjillion cat statues is worth it.

I want to give gig an extention to his turn, that'll give him time to finish the fort, and time for new players to sign up. What are your guy's thoughts?
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: February 21, 2017, 12:58:51 pm »

Sounds good to me.  And if I haven't already requested it, I would like another turn.
Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey Domas! Let's visit the tavern with DEMONS!"
    • View Profile
    • OAOGigmaster's Twitch Channel
« Reply #587 on: February 21, 2017, 02:11:49 pm »

Thanks for the offer for an extension Ryukan; I'm going to play some more Gloomdiamonds on my own and let some of the busy work complete. I'll stop if something interesting comes up, so we can start the Friday stream with it.

I might take the extension after Friday; we'll see. I know there's another succession fortress awaiting my gentle touch.
Mondays @ 4pm EST, 9pm GMT: Dwarf Fortress Nightmares
Fridays @ 4pm EST, 9pm GMT: Dwarf Fortress Successions
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

"Of course the frelling monarch is the last to die."

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: February 24, 2017, 12:55:14 pm »

Playing my last stretch of my Gloomdiamonds turn tonight! I've let the fortress churn along on my computer for a decent while; little interesting happened. Whatever happens tonight, I'm going to upload the save as it exists afterwards and send it on to the next person.
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: February 24, 2017, 08:35:46 pm »

I would like to be dorfed as endlessblaze.
Put me in the military and make me a lasher.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: February 24, 2017, 09:56:43 pm »

My turn is coming to an end. Expect a write-up from the last stream Soon(TM); I'm currently letting the fort idle and lumber along at 13 FPS until the end of the year, at which point I'll be uploading the save to DFFD. Also going to PM the next person in turn order.
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: February 24, 2017, 10:07:36 pm »

Also going to PM the next person in turn order.

theimmortalryukan laughs as the Rutile is placed in his hands

"My Time is come. My Palace will be finished and I will finish the project to gather it from this place."

A horrible and sinister laugh echoes throughout the fort

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: February 25, 2017, 03:34:42 am »

A horrible and sinister laughter echoes throughout the fort without me?! Wait on...

The mysterious force of darkness, undoubtedly evil yet barely noticeable within GloomDiamonds' halls gathered beside Ryukan, the immortal as he grabbed the rutile hat. It materialised within dwarfs' shadow, so that even his magical perception couldn't find, or at least comprehend what's there. Then it started laughing. Not like a madman that wanted to be heard by everyone before a killing spree. This laughter was subtle and somewhat cold, but still intense hatred, evil and death condensed within it. It was destined only for Ryukan's ears. Let's see how this one end... - dark lord thought, still staying unnoticed by unwary dwarf.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: February 25, 2017, 04:33:44 am »

Meanwhile, somewhere else
Imic was doing his usual daily routine. Arguing with the royals over how impossible his latest job was, getting sent off in a huff, and wishing he was not the king's left hand. It was the position of the person who did all of the digging, the behind the scenes work, spying, and a thousand other things which Imic didn't like the idea of.

He was walking through the forests of the south capital valley, when he stopped. He looked around. He stared up the road for a second. And then ran like hell.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: February 25, 2017, 08:02:03 am »

Save is here! http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12740

Still need to get time today to work on the write up.
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: February 27, 2017, 02:14:45 am »

Imic ran through the streets of the city. Through the front gates, barging through the guards, he ran and ran and ran. As he ran through the cathedral square, the chanters began their morning chants, accompanied by a bit from the life of someone from long ago. As he left the square, many a hundred bells rang, echoing throughout the city. As the bells neared the end of the chorus, he finally walked up to the front gate of the castle. He stopped for one second to look up at the many towers, rooves, and battlements of the massive castle. But obly for one second. He ran through the door, into the pillared great hall. At the very end was the ancient throne of Undarak. It glittered with gold, designed with golden statues of the first of the Undarak, and carvings of forgotten words, in forgotten dialects.

Imic had never liked it. It was far too flashy to be practical.

He ran behind it, up a seemingly endless flight of steps, into another room, where he found the king, the matriarch, and the high judge.
"Imic?"
The king had noticed him.
"Did you find something? It's okay, you can trust the high judge."
The high judge turned to look at him. She was gigantic, casually using a warhammer as a walking stick. She had muscles that would terrofy a grown man, and they made up 75% of her body.
"Ryukan... I know where he is..." He panted.
"Then we can finally give him his trial!"
They all looked up at the high judge, her face gidden behind a helmet.
"Give me his coordinates."
"Bu-"
"Now!"
Imic scrabbled the coordinates down onto a piece of paper. His hand was shaky, and he dropped the pen when he finished.
"Thank you."
She took them, and strode out. They heard her barking orders at someone, and then her voice faded.
Imic facepalmed.
The king put his hand on Imic's shoulder.
"Never get yourself on the wrong end of the law, Imic. Never..."
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: February 27, 2017, 03:49:01 pm »

LATE ARGLEBARGLE. Sorry. Here's the write-up for my last turn. I apologize for not putting in more detail; I want to get this update out so Ryukan can get on with describing his turn.

*Turn Post*

25th Timber, Year 1057, Journal of Overseer Gigmaster Workfamous's

Work progresses, as work should! We're making some serious changes now - or at least completing them, anyways. More issue come up though. Hardly a fucking surprise, but this one involves the fort's safety: our military doesn't have full sets of equipment. Some half-intelligent knucklehead DID make some steel gear. Enough steel gear to outfit 20, maybe 25 dwarves. We have a military of FORTY dwarves, friendly gobbo-gubs and humanfolk. Not to mention that we don't have any steel bits to slap onto the taller boys and girls. No one bothered to draw up proper uniform equipment rosters. Fixed their fuckin' little red wagons with lists of my own. Got light, medium and heavy sets of armor for most weapon styles the boys and girls in blood-red use drawn up. Hopefully future overseein' arsehats take note and use 'em.

'Course, steel production needs to get stepped up something big to kit all them out. Of course, fucking site doesn't have any coal. Only thing we have are a FUCKTON of trees. Guess that's changing real fast-like.

If the elves get pissy about it, fuckin' tough. They want to attack, we'll have 40 homicidal, teeth-shattering maniacs clad in steel to pound them into the fucking trees that'r left. Maybe it'll make em happy again, being with nature and shit.

Got orders in for over 200 runs of pig iron and steel, along with double wood burnin' production up top. Don't think it'll all be done by the time I'm through, but it'll get us up to snuff. Hopefully.

6th Moonstone, Year 1057, Journal of Overseer Gigmaster Workfamous's

Road out of the fortress is almost done. Just got a bit of supports on the slopes to put in, but Gloomdiamond now has a good, paved, fuckin' solid connection to the kingdom. About fuckin' time. Made out of cobaltite, one of the best damn stones in my opinion, with a schist boarder we've mounted more of those damn fractal cat statue nightmares on. Might as well EASE IN all the fuckers coming in to spend some quality time at Gloomdiamonds. Kinda like, "If this shit drives you nuts, get the fuck out now." At least we won't have to deal with their whiny asses then.

Main staircase is also done. We've now got a solid, 4x4 equivalent staircase that runs throughout all the fortress, down to the last levels where the mines start to come in hard-core. Can't say the traffic organization doesn't bring a small, tobacco-colored tear to my eyes. 'Course, that might just be the cigar smoke.

18th Moonstone, Year 1057, Journal of Overseer Gigmaster Workfamous's

Complete work areas and sub-level farms are coming together good. Whole area few levels down from above ground is designed with high-output, high-efficiency in mind. Should satisfy everything comin' from the farms and pastures--meat production, leather production, clothes, soft military gear, booze, more booze, soap, you get the fuckin' idea.

Also, king's finally fucking happy with his quarters. Maybe we can get some of the fuckin' freeloading knife-ears in the tavern inside now. King loves to see his goddamn graceful fuck-wits and all. Creepy, if you ask me. At least he'll be happy and not order anyone killed for not supplying yet more fucking toy boats.

Still need outpost liason's shit put together. Arsehole can wait his damned turn; we have shit to do. Also, Ryukan's making a bunch of noise about his own quarters. I've lumped his needs in with the liason. Maybe when Gloomdiamonds has finished getting it's shit together. Hopefully we'll still have a world to stand on when that time comes, too.

30th Moonstone, Year 1057, Journal of Overseer Gigmaster Workfamous's

Dumps are in place. Now people'l have a decent spot to dump all the useless shit the fortress makes. Apart from nobles and more fuckin' elven bards and dancers and plant whisperes and wood lickers and fuck all.

Also got a bunch of smelters up and running in the GIANT ECHOING CAVERN the previous overseein' ass munchers made. Charcoal production is up big-time. A wholesome cloud of wood smoke now billows up from the courtyard on a regular basis. Warms my dwarven heart.

Still waiting on ANY kind of progress to be made deep below on the power station. At least we have the glassers blowing out a bunch of screws for the magma pumps. Still twists my brain up how glass just thinks magma is like thick muddy water to it, but I've seen it myself: stuff just churns through magma like it's nothing. Strangest shit I've seen. Still, it works, and we've got fuck-loads of sand around here. Also another excuse to burn down more trees, heh-heh.

4th Opal, Year 1057, Journal of Overseer Gigmaster Workfamous's

Looks like the gobbo arseholes beat the tree-humping knife ears to the punch. Watchers sighted a force of over 60 of the fucking green-skins over the horizon, coupled with a bunch of those giant shaggy shitheads and those funky dog-things of theirs.

Certainly not the hardest battle I've presided over. Got all the crossbow-toting killers up in that strange tower some previous overseer made, blocked up all the secondary doors and stationed the military around the corners of the keep, waiting for their temporary best bloodlettin' buddies to show up. Thing was a massacre; not a single loss of dwarven life.

Say what you will about how fucked Gloomdiamonds is otherwise; fellas in the military know how to mine out some gobbos.

5th Obsidian, Year 1057, Journal of Overseer Gigmaster Workfamous's

We're well and truly into Winter now, but you wouldn't know it by looking around. Swamp is still humid and drippy as fuck; probably won't ever change.

My time's at an end; King says he needs me for other things in the fortress, and (now) Prime Minister Ryukan is all eager 'n shit to get his own stuff going. Can't imagine how badly they could steer things now, after what I've done, but there's always room for stupid. Plenty of fuckin' room for stupid.

That said, I don't think it can go too badly as long as I'm here. After all of this time, I kinda think of the ol' GD as a wounded puppy: you can't help but love its stupid ass a little, even as it rolls in the mud and knaws on its own tail. I'll stick around for a while, see how long it takes for everyone else to fuck it up. In hope of pushing back that day, I've left a fuckton of notes on areas within the fortress for Ryukan; hopefully it'll keep things neat and efficient for a time. Also ordered up and started planting iron statues of my visage striking down the gobbos from last month; took a few liberties with the design, but fuck it, it doesn't have millions of fuckin' cat faces on it. They'll be watching over the caverns where dwarven industry is going down; hopefully they'll serve as a reminder that hard work, guts and clear thinkin' gets the job done.

Let's see how long it takes for some arse to kick me out of the rooms I appropriated. Honestly, as long as I got a decent place to stay, a good bed and good booze, I don't give a damn. I'm called 'Workfamous,' not 'Stuffy Noble Puss-Bucket.' My real reward is seeing this fuck-fest hammered out into something liveable, something workable.

Penned in heavy, thick script at the end of the journal, almost tearing the page, is the following:

Don't fuck this up.

Out-of-character notes:

1. Orders are in to finish out needs for steel uniforms. Hopefully we should have enough steel coming up to fill those needs, but if not, make sure you queue up more steel. We got so much wood outside, we should be able to get it all done on wood alone, before we move on to adamantium.

2. Got a lever-specific room in the fort now to centralize controls. I set some levers that control specific things - like the dump smashers - right next to the thing controlled, but all others should ideally go in that secured room.

3. Construct additional rooms above in the giant useless cavern. We got plenty of blocks for it. Also got overflow rooms as needed already made.

4. DON'T ACCEPT MORE ASSHOLES INTO THE FORTRESS! Every person we accept = lower FPS, and we already have a 3:2 ratio of dwarven citizens to free-loaders.

5. I wasn't able to finish a complete, end-product storage area for stockpiles, but you can see the areas I mined out for them beneath the workshop levels. Do what you will with them.

6. We need to improve the walls above ground. Lip them off and set up fortifications for our crossbow users.

7. If you go down to the nascent power pump level, you can see a partially cleared-out area above the water for our water wheel battery. Nearby on a higher z-level is the cafeterium for deep-level workers, to help alleviate travel time. There's one wheel set to be made on a single mechanism as a test; make sure this works before continuing construction.

8. If we want magma at the surface, we're going to need 80+ sets of glass screws and magma-safe gears and blocks, not to mention areas mined out for the pump stack. Keep that glass shit coming in.

9. We still need nobles rooms for the outpost liason, and anyone else (stares!) who wants em. King should be nearly satisfied though. Finally.

10. As workfamous said, there's notes everywhere to help locate where shit is. Use them. Please.
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: February 27, 2017, 11:11:29 pm »

I'll take a turn.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: February 27, 2017, 11:27:51 pm »

I'll take a turn.

K, and I have the save.

Will update turn list tomorrow when I have my computer

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: March 03, 2017, 10:11:48 am »

It's been like four days, can I get that save?
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 43