Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we take mate off of the "List of Important People"?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 01, 2016, 07:55:06 pm

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 43

Author Topic: Gloomdiamonds: The End of the Story (Finished)  (Read 52756 times)

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
Re: Gloomdiamonds: The Reign of Darkness (Turn Slots Available)
« Reply #480 on: January 11, 2017, 03:58:53 pm »

1st Limestone 1056

Rimtar was enjoying his time in the tavern, sipping strawberry wine and watching different performers. He spent whole summer there but still didn't knew what was going on in the fortress around him. It was time to ask one of it's residents. There was one of soldiers off duty, polishing his short sword covered with elven runes. May I join you? - he asked and, the soldier looked at him and said: Sure. Rimtar sat by the soldier's table, trying to read runes on the blade at the same time. Suicide? Interesting name for a sword... - he said inquiringly. It was a gift... of some kind... You just wanted to ask about the sword? - the soldier asked.

Rimtar thought for a short while then asked: Can you tell me what's new in the fortress? This tavern lives it's own life and it's hard to hear anything about the fortress proper. Soldier wondered for a while, then started the story. Things got a bit strange around Gloomdiamonds this Summer. You see, there was no new overseer appointed, yet everyone runs around like crazy! There were even some changes in fortress' administration! - he exclaimed. Rimtar asked, quite surprised: No overseer? Whole season without anyone to run the fortress? Swordsdwarf continued: No one was appointed! I once wanted to see who gives orders to dwarves running like crazy, and entered the overseer's office. There was just a rutile hat lying on a desk, letters left on it by Pyrite blurred out. There was something strange about the hat... something ominous and evil, but at the same time quite familiar... - he stopped for a while. - Anyways, I'll tell you what happened chronologically...

Miners had a strange urge to dig recently. Deeper into the bowels of earth. From behind a wall they heard someone shouting for help, and deconstructed one of the walls. Guess what? Three dwarves were walled in inside caverns! They got them out too late to save one of them, he dehydrated and lied on the mossy cavern floor until someone brought him to a grave...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Instead of rebuilding the walls, masons built a bridge there and animal trainer restrained a war dog on a rope just by the entrance to caverns. At the same time bookkeeper added some marks to all maps of the fortress, which he called hotkeys. They are meant to ease navigating through fortress...

But getting back to miners, they dug a staircase day and night. They discovered two expansive caverns on the way and marked one of them on map. Digging deeper, they dug down to semi-molten rock and went back up a few Urists to make a small opening in their tunnel, through which they saw huge part of magma sea, and more importantly, raw adamantine! They said that we are extremely lucky, as the huge cavern filled with water is just one Urist above the magma sea, which means they can make a puncture in the ceiling and let the water mix with magma and create obsidian, through which they could safely dig to the adamantine! Only problem being the safety of our miners....

Now I've got news that may sound good for a foreigner like you, should you want to petition anyone or anyting that's currently in charge. The human caravan was warmly greeted and received as warm farewells. Since then, everyone that made a petition which was accepted got a house, and for some reason all petitions are accepted. The expansion of house district also moved just slightly, already we have houses with rough, barren walls. It's only a matter of time to smooth then and furnish...

Then a brewer and some animals mysteriously disappeared. And while the animals still weren't found, one of miners did something completely strange. He shouted that he really has to smash open a wall at Gwolfski's suite... and he found the brewer inside, his dog sitting beside him and still waiting for his owner to wake up. He died of thirst, the brewer I mean not the dog. The miner can't explain why he had to break the wall, some kind of creepy, dark urge to just do it overwhelmed him. Some say that bridge sealing the suite was raised and that Gwolfski locked the brewer inside for some unknown reason...

Is that all? It still was quite a bit for such a short time... - Rimtar said before the soldier could finish. Well, there were more minor things like changing a manager to someone with less duties, so he could validate orders much quicker. I believe it's one of medical staff, perhaps a suturer. And already a few new orders straight from overseer's office were validated - production of clothing and mechanisms. Now, that's all. - soldier finished relating latest news. It was nice talking to you and getting some news from the fortress proper. I won't bother you anymore. Oh, and I'm Rimtar Smiththunder, nice to meet you and goodbye! - Rimtar got up and soldier told: Yeah, nice to meet you. I'm Zothdra. Perhaps we'll meet again.

OOC

Went through Summer and got a seasonal save at Autumn. As a tl;dr - Set up some hotkeys, first at levers to entrance front gate, second at some random levers, and third at entrace to caverns I made. I rescued three dwarves left by Wight in the caverns, then dug down to magma sea, discovering two caverns on the way and candy. I changed the manager (Zothdra was the manager before), as he spent all the time sparring and I couldn't get any order validated, and ordered some cloth clothing to be made as some dwarves throw out used clothing. I assigned houses to everyone who didn't had his quarter (except for one dwarven baby and the vampire), then started expanding the area and accepted a few petitions. Also closed some holes through which fliers could get inside from caves. Bought off food from the caravan (we have more than enough, but the more the better), and found dead brewer after game gave me a missing message.

Here is the status for 1st Limestone.

It was quite slow with 11-18 FPS when unpaused, but I got first season of my turn done. It was uneventful season as you can see.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 11, 2017, 06:25:46 pm »

F-ing fantastic as usual, love it.
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 12, 2017, 01:19:37 am »

- Unusual approach with narration.

- I don't think Dakost died from thrist, with the cavern lake there....

Well, deaths be deaths.

Don't think a lone dog can stop whatever lurks down there in time for you to raise bridge, though. I'd recommend hatching the staircase instead.

- Didn't expect you to keep to same bedroom layouts, tbh.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 12, 2017, 02:32:52 am »

- I don't think Dakost died from thrist, with the cavern lake there....

When dwarves found him the game gave me Dakost somethingsomething has been found dead, dehydrated. The other farmer did drink from the lake to survive.

Don't think a lone dog can stop whatever lurks down there in time for you to raise bridge, though. I'd recommend hatching the staircase instead.

The place was surrounded with cage traps during Wight's turn. The dog is to alarm not deal with trapavoids or FB's, but I'll hatch it in case of enormous inorganic FB.

- Didn't expect you to keep to same bedroom layouts, tbh.

I usually make 2x2 bedrooms, but also I usually play in much smaller embarks. Seeing that there was some place I continued 2x3 bedrooms.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 12, 2017, 04:03:04 am »

Odd that one drank from the lake while other one didn't, then. I think only being scared away could cause that, or maybe wandering far away and being terminally crippled - any Dakost's legs noted to be in stock by your bookkeeper?

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 12, 2017, 04:26:38 am »

I'll check it later when I'll be playing. I have technician exam in about one and a half hour.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: January 12, 2017, 09:06:42 am »

Want to give your character Bio DrakOne?

Would really appreciate it

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Edible beserk! now available in masterwork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 12, 2017, 08:55:51 pm »

Joining the que for a turn. GOnna have some fun.
I am currently trying to comprehend what sick, mad, dwarven mind came up with the fortress name "Lancefondled", because it wasn't me.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: January 12, 2017, 10:35:32 pm »

Joining the que for a turn. GOnna have some fun.

Welcome on board Reyn, I now have one slot available, who wants it?

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: January 13, 2017, 12:50:23 pm »

1st Moonstone 1056

After a long day spent with visiting poets, performers and scholars, sipping strawberry wine, Rimtar felt really tired and was about to head towards his room. Something on the way through tavern caught his attention though, a leather bound ledger lying on one of tables. Someone had to forget it and left it in tavern. Rimtar took it with himself to return it to it's owner next day. Reaching his bed, all of a sudden he couldn't fall asleep, so he took the ledger and opened it. Autumn 1056. Property of Libash Toolfire, bookkeeper of Gloomdiamonds. That was it! All the numbers in bookkeeper's ledgers should be boring enough to fall asleep quickly!

Bloodsucker escaped from it's pit. There were 100 hammerstrikes on it so as soon as militia saw him, he was dragged to restraint and beaten to bloody pulp. Then it returned to the pit, just to die shortly afterwards.

Expansion of house district improved. Walls smoothed out, beds, doors and cabinets added - not enough for all rooms though. Started contruction of magma baths.

An aspect of Fey appeared, Dodok Breedcloistered was affected. Claimed a workshop and made an artifact toy boat.

Caravan from Mountainhome appeared. Entrance was not wide enough, wagons couldn't get through. Merchants reached depot. Bought off whole load of plants, fruits, fish and meat. Gave many offerings to Mountainhome. Got trade agreement with merchants. Gloomdiamonds was advanced to a Duchy after merchants left, Scourge is a duke now. Improved his housing to meet requirements.

Bans and mandates were appointed again - export of quivers prohibited, production of bucklers mandated.

Seasonal stocks and census summary.

On the last page there was a note: To whoever finds this ledger in case it's lost - return it to bookkeeper's office. Rimtar read it all and felt very drowsy, so he quickly fallen asleep.

OOC

Autumn is done, there's a chance I might get winter done today and end my turn (I started at summer, so technically I'm getting through Wight's turn, but I'll be more busy after this weekend). As for the bio, I'll send a PM after my turn is done.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 13, 2017, 01:19:09 pm »

- Dwarven justice. Welp.

- Brown fortress.

- I think that is more than enough food and dwarves. 

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 13, 2017, 03:43:11 pm »

I'll take a slot if you'll have me, haven't played one of these in far too long!

Either way Ill take a dwarf by the name of 'Izzerwat', any scholar profession or administrator if no scholars are available.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: January 13, 2017, 06:03:05 pm »

Gloomdiamonds

Everything was ordinary in Gloomdiamonds. Well, ordinary for a Gloondiamonds standard. Vampires seemed to be behind every corner these days, for one thing. But, nothing was too out of the ordinarya. Except for the giant shadow. But no - one noticed that.
No - one ever does.

Ryukan was in his teensy room, playing with a trinket. In reality, he was merely distracting his hands, while his mind was whizzing away, thinking about plans. Things. Then he noticed something strange. He didn't know what it was, but he knew that something was wrong. He got up, and walked out the door, immediately walking straight into Airith, who seemed just as distressed as himself.
"Can you feel it?" Said Airith.
"Yes. Something's wrong." Replied Ryukan.
They walked through the coridoor, peering backwards and forwards, unsure of what was wring.
Suddenly, they came to the main hallway, and they realised what was wrong.
Time had stopped.
Everyone was simply standing there, frozen beteween one heartbeat and the next, between two gulps of ale, simply stopped.
And they suddenley realised why.
At the end of the coridoor, there was a bunch of humanoids in full plate armour, with helmets obscuring their faces from the two dwarves. They had long blue cloaks, and one of them carried a large banner.
It was tall, and blue. On it was a semicircle, with teeth in it like a gear, the curve pointed downwrds, and a sword over it.
Undarak.
"There's no running. We've surrounded the place, and anyone else whom we've found to be a black arrow besides yourselves has been taken into the cages in our ship."
The knight took off his helmet, revealing a round face, with grey hair and a short grey beard, as well as deep blue eyes which flashed with surpressed fury. He had a scar on his cheek whichhandn't been there the last time. It was Imic, a slight rival of Ryukan. Not in a cosmilogical sense, but he tried his best.
He leaned on his hammer.
"You shouldn't have left you tablet bahind, it had lists of all the spies inside of Undarak. Several of them even confessed to being spies. We found all thevidence we needed, though. In the end every single one of them ended up confessing. Well, not all of them. But sometimes actions speak louder then words."
"If you're quite finished giving me a lecture on interrogation, could we cut to the chase?"
"We're taking you to prison."
"Ah."
"A prison with many magical barriers."
"Ooooh."
Imic eyed him. Suddenly the stern face turned slightly softer, and he sighed a long, long sigh.
"Just get in the ship."
After some hassle, they succeeded in getting them into cages, to be grought to Undarak. It was a long, long ride.

I'm going to stop there, because I'm tired. More larpter.
Sorry about the decrease in quility at the end, I need bed. Please imagine it was more realistic for now, 8'll eiditl it larter.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 06:06:00 pm by Imic »
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: January 13, 2017, 07:11:17 pm »

On An Airship Currently in-between worlds

Ryukan sat in his cage.

Cage... ha. Wouldn't be the first time this happened. Ray willing, it wouldn't be the last.

Speaking of....

Ryukan assumed a sitting position and his mind slowly drifted to the Astral Plane.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Astral Plane

Ryukan approached the Temple like structure in the void. He entered and walked towards the central room. He approached the pedestal in the center. He said the words of command.

Appearing before him was a hooded female figure.

"What do you want my faithful servant?" The figure said.

"Airith found a source of it and established a fortress there. I was going to join and help her, but I have been inconvenienced." Ryukan said.

"I know, that Paladin is something else. Persistent he is. But I sense his purpose is yet to be over. His role in this story will only increase. I sense that you and him will make bonds that only true friends can have."

"True bonds with that ANIMAL!?!"

"Yes. More likely than not he will be your only ally in the times to come." The Hooded figure stated plainly.

"If you say so... is there any chance you could be wrong?"

"I haven't been wrong before have I?"

"Your point is made mistress."

"Now go. You will be brought to trial on the Paladin's world. Just endure it. Try not to cause too much trouble. And Ryukan. Bring young Airith before me when you get back."

"Your word is my command mistress" Ryukan bowed as his master disappeared.

He walked out of the temple and his consciousness drifted back to his mortal body.

-------------------------------------------------------------

On an Airship

Ryukan awoke with a start as his cage was banged with a hammer.

"Up you get Ryukan, we are here."

Ryukan was dragged out of his cage in chains and he looked out beyond and saw the Capital of Undarak.

Even Ryukan admitted it was a sight to behold. And he had seen alot.

"Let's Get this Over with." Ryukan grumbled.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: January 13, 2017, 07:21:20 pm »

1st Granite 1057

Rimtar left his room, prepared for the long journey back to Twinklediamonds. He bid farewell to everyone in the tavern and left. As ascended the staircase, several squads of soldiers ran past him, heading to barracks. Ah, Zothdra! 'Tis good to see you! - Smiththunders exclaimed upon seeing a familiar face. Greetings Rimtar! Leaving already? Perhaps you have a little while to talk? - Zothdra asked. Of course! Maybe you could tell me latest news from Gloomdiamonds proper? I saw you've had an intervention of some sort.. - Rimtar said. Zothdra wondered for a minute then replied: Yeah, but let's get back to how it all started, as I think it might be tied to it...

It all started like an ordinary day. Duke banned certain exports and mandated procuction of bucklers, as if he didn't knew that shields offer better protection!

Then, miners, mechanics and masons were continuing their work upon magma baths. I swear there was something grim about that place... where was I? Oh, right. So when they were working, a ghostly vampire has risen! It blinked down in the baths and moved to our barracks until someone exorcised the phantom. I think they banished it out with a slab of some kind, placed in the pit where it was closed.

Ghostly vampire? That must've been a horrifying view! - Rimtar said. That was just the beginning! In fact, it was so horrifying that it spooked a miner down in magma baths construction, so he punctured wrong wall and let magma into wrong area! They say that no one could survive down in the baths. Masons quickly ran to seal it before magma sea overflows fortress with magma from beneath. Two of them died in unknown circumstances...

As they spoke, a butcher dragged a stray yak bull to slaughter it. And finally, the intervention. A Forgotten One reached our caverns! I don't know why we could feel it, but something more ominous and powerful caused this uneasiness to make us alert. As if it wanted us dead, but just not yet... Back to the intervenion, there was a wide open hole in a wall through which it could get inside. We ran to protect the staircase in case that mason don't seal it in time... - as Zothdra continued, another dwarf ran hypnotized after the butcher.

Then the dwarf ran back with some bones and loud noises came from craftsdwarf workshop. Rimtar and Zothdra ran to see what's going on. It was a bone doctor - some strange force overwhelmed him and he secretely made an artifact! Behold my masterpiece! - the bone doctor shouted.

It's a... cup? - Rimtar was surprised with that masterpiece. Guess it's the best cup in fortress now. - Zothdra quickly commented. Well, looks like it's time to go. Remember about the box. See you soon my friend! - as Rimtar spoke last words, his body started aging rapidly until it turned into pile of ash and then completely vanished. The strange heaviness felt all around disappeared as well.

OOC

Yeah, I screwed up with that magma sea. Either a mistake designation or I really wasn't focused on it when getting through my turn. Fortress is safe, but if you want, you can deal with the FB. My turn is done, here is the save:

Gloomdiamonds 1056-1057 Save
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 43