Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Divinity (OOC Thread)  (Read 7000 times)

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Divinity (OOC Thread)
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2017, 03:55:19 am »

I think I spent too much time trying to think of clever things to do. I'll issue seasonal directives sooner from now on.
Does Faith/Belief stick around, or do you have to use it the turn you get it?
No worries on time; take all you need. There is no faith/belief cap, theoretically you could do nothing for 10 seasons in order to save enough to do a huge miracle.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2017, 08:05:37 am »

Is there any possibility that other gods may be introduced without someone dying? Maybe not with a tribe, but potentially at least up in the Throne of the World.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2017, 03:32:15 pm »

I have an idea: new players could be introduced by tribal feuds in a "random event" fashion. This would allow new players to enter the game quickly while also adding a bit of hardship to more experienced ones.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2017, 03:59:07 pm »

I actually just came up with a less violent way to add people: pantheons.

Specifically, new gods/players could be introduced to pre-existent societies by existing dieties; the older gods would be in charge at the start, though based on events, that control could change. In general, it could start out like an apprenticeship, and then progress from there.

We could end up with vast pantheons with definitive ranks of power like those in our world (such as the Greek one), ones defined by the conflict between two powerful entities, and dithiestic beliefs where two gods (or a similarly low number of them) rule as partners with similar amounts of power.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2017, 05:19:11 pm »

That would only work for pre-existing religions effectively, and only if they agreed to shared beliefs. That is unlikely enough as is.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2017, 05:41:13 pm »

They don't all have to show up in the same way...

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2017, 12:25:32 am »

I actually just came up with a less violent way to add people: pantheons.

Specifically, new gods/players could be introduced to pre-existent societies by existing dieties; the older gods would be in charge at the start, though based on events, that control could change. In general, it could start out like an apprenticeship, and then progress from there.

We could end up with vast pantheons with definitive ranks of power like those in our world (such as the Greek one), ones defined by the conflict between two powerful entities, and dithiestic beliefs where two gods (or a similarly low number of them) rule as partners with similar amounts of power.
I have a system for tracking pantheons as a single faith pool partnership. So your suggestion is entirely possible, but it'd be up to the current gods to do. There would be a significant disadvantage right at the beginning of the pantheon, as it would be splitting one population's faith generation between the two gods, but it would certainly have advantages strategically, as it effectively gives you cheaper miracles in extra domains.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2017, 12:38:21 am »

Can gods create demigods with god-like powers but only in specific domains, like a warrior of lightning who can only do things with said lightning and nothing else?
Black lives matter.

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2017, 12:45:39 am »

Can gods create demigods with god-like powers but only in specific domains, like a warrior of lightning who can only do things with said lightning and nothing else?
A demigod would effectively be a champion with which you supply a constant stream of faith/belief. You could absolutely control the exact abilities they would gain, though how they would use them could be different from your vision unless you actively possess them. For the most part, if you can imagine doing it, you can do so within Divinity.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2017, 01:00:51 am »

Nice.
Black lives matter.

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2017, 02:44:34 am »

So, while I know we aren't really all that far into the game yet, I want to ask you guys if you have any comments or criticisms for the game thus far. Anything and everything, I'd love to hear it. I hope to make the game last for a while, so any improvements you guys could suggest would be appreciated :)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2017, 02:53:55 am »

Criticisms: I don't have any opportunities to create a sexy dream version of Pellapnia that then murders someone in their sleep for heresy None! I'm having a good time.
Black lives matter.

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2017, 01:40:19 am »

((why do i think that i am doning the least complex actions))
Could you elaborate on what you mean?

And just as a general update, I've been rather busy with work the past few days which is why updates have been a bit infrequent. I plan to do the next update Sunday, my apologies for any inconvenience  :).

Criticisms: I don't have any opportunities to create a sexy dream version of Pellapnia that then murders someone in their sleep for heresy None! I'm having a good time.
Glad to hear it ^^
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]