Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for a workaround for a crash  (Read 927 times)

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Looking for a workaround for a crash
« on: August 27, 2016, 12:32:47 am »

I've encountered this game breaking bug.  My most recent save is literally seconds away from crashing, and I don't have a recent backup.

Are there any clever suggestions for a workaround to keep the game from crashing?  I'm not against editing the raws to make it work.

Basically, the crash seems to happen when goblins trigger traps.  I suspect it may have something to do with a menacing spike in the trap wearing down.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a workaround for a crash
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 08:42:07 am »

Maybe if you forbid a door in their way? Or unforbid a different way in?

Otherwise, perhaps editing goblins, but not sure what, if any, changes you could give them.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 11:11:57 am »

You could use DFhack and obstruct the way to the traps with placed obsidian. Then deconstruct the offending trap when the siege is over.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 11:45:21 am »

If you're using DFHack you might even be able to destroy the component that's about to break.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 04:22:04 pm »

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Maybe if you forbid a door in their way? Or unforbid a different way in?

Unfortunately, I only have bridges.  It would probably work if I raised them, but there's just not enough time before the crash for the dwarfs to do it. :(

Otherwise, perhaps editing goblins, but not sure what, if any, changes you could give them.

I tried this, but that caused the game to crash instantly (As opposed to within a few seconds)

Maybe I could give them trapavoid or something.

You could use DFhack and obstruct the way to the traps with placed obsidian. Then deconstruct the offending trap when the siege is over.

If you're using DFHack you might even be able to destroy the component that's about to break.

I'm not too familiar with what DFHack is capable of, but it sounds pretty powerful.

Unfortunately, I'm using the latest version (43.05), and it looks like it might be a while before DFHack is updated for it.

MorsDux

• Bay Watcher
  • If you only have a hammer, all problems seem nails
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 05:14:11 pm »

you could try forbidding the trap that has XX worn weapons in it, no idea if it will make it avoid activation, just a thought.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 05:16:03 pm »

Update: Giving goblins trapavoid did the trick. 

In more dwarfy detail: That gave me enough time to close the bridges, sealing a large part of the invasion in the trapped entrance where they danced around, playing hopscotch across the gaps in the floor, while occasionally falling into the aquifer I dug out below.

Meanwhile two of my soldiers decided to go to the surface somehow (I think I missed a hole somewhere) and take on the invasion themselves.  They somehow managed to kill/maim enough of the remaining force for me to comfortably release the rest of my troops to the surface.

Now all that's left are a handful of trapped and injured goblins.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 05:16:56 pm »

you could try forbidding the trap that has XX worn weapons in it, no idea if it will make it avoid activation, just a thought.

Good idea, but I already tried that and it didn't seem to change the trap going off.