Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Barotrauma!  (Read 17692 times)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: Barotrauma!
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2016, 05:08:17 pm »

Or, instead of them being idiots, it's because the suits slow them down significantly?

Maybe it's different now, but it's been the case for...as long as I've played.

Not only does it slow you down, but you also run the risk of having the space suit damaged and punctured, and you can't patch injuries through them. They've been balanced pretty decently. But this isn't the SS13 thread.

Barotrauma is much less about RP than SS13, I'll say that. I've yet to play an RP game of Barotrauma, but I'm sure it could be fun.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2016, 05:17:33 pm »

This looks great - how finished/playable is it? I've got a group of friends who would love to play something like this, but they have absolute zero tolerance for buggy/incomplete stuff.

As an example, Artemis has been banned by the group due to how buggy it can be sometimes (mostly syncing problems).
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2016, 05:31:18 pm »

This looks great - how finished/playable is it? I've got a group of friends who would love to play something like this, but they have absolute zero tolerance for buggy/incomplete stuff.

As an example, Artemis has been banned by the group due to how buggy it can be sometimes (mostly syncing problems).

Movement looks weird, but that's deliberate.

Sometimes you can get your leg trapped in stairs when dropping down, and be helpless.
Ladders are evil and you should be careful.

That's about it here really.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2016, 06:43:48 pm »

Sometimes fish and other sea critters can bug out really bad.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2016, 07:12:36 pm »

I never got to play this with anyone because all servers were either password protected or full or empty.
:/
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2016, 01:45:37 pm »

It did have some networking issues that have supposedly gotten better. But if someone in your group has bad internet, it can desync the monsters which can be a huge hassle. Or at least it could last year, I've only played it once or twice since the big netcode fixes, so I can't really say how much better it's gotten.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2016, 02:01:36 pm »

Ahh interesting - thanks for all your input. I'll probably wait for another release or two.

Is LAN play possible or do you need to do the whole tungle thing?
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2016, 02:14:13 pm »

I just clicked multiplayer and then some random server and join game, worked out perfectly.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2016, 04:01:42 pm »

Ahh interesting - thanks for all your input. I'll probably wait for another release or two.

Is LAN play possible or do you need to do the whole tungle thing?

I haven't hosted before, but I'm sure you can find guides on the website. It seems pretty straightforward, but I'm not sure if it's different for LAN.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2017, 09:49:49 pm »

So... I had downloaded this, forgot about it, recently discovered it while cleaning out my Downloads folder and am now playing it. Solo, because I don't like people in my games.
It's pretty !!fun!! (I dided 5 times in the tutorial alone  :o), but I can't seem to complete any missions. Are the markers precise (both mentioned "signals"), or are they just approximate dots on a map someone made back at the outpost? One time they send me to find a downed sub, but there was nothing there or seemingly around it. The second time I was sent to recover an artifact, found some alien... runis? structures? boxes? anyway definitely the target, but no artifact (I think, I did find a bunch of oxides and red thingies, sulphurides, I think)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Tohveli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2019, 01:36:18 am »

https://barotraumagame.com/

Wow, looks like the game has improved a ton over the past few years and will be in Steam early access soon.

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2019, 12:55:00 pm »

Oh nice :)

Had some fun with that with a few friends in a multiplayer game a while ago. Was buggy as hell tho.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2019, 06:08:34 am »

Oh hey, Barotrauma! Yeah, my old days of crewing subs were mostly spent crashing to the main menu. Still though, the few times the game actually ran were quite tense and exciting.

And yeah, looking forward to the Steam release. Honestly, I'm not sure there's really any need for a traitor mode in Barotrauma... Sure, it's heavily inspired by SS13 and SS13 has traitors, but that's because there's not really any noteworthy PvE in most SS13 branches and therefore you need antagonists to make things interesting. Barotrauma? Holy cow, EVERYTHING wants to kill you in Barotrauma, and the well-meaning crew are often more than capable of doing the job themselves.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2019, 10:59:37 am »

So the game released in early access on steam recently. People seem to be taking issue with the price tag. I myself find it hard to throw 30$ at a multiplayer-centric game without knowing if anyone I know will be willing to get it at that price. Definitely seems fun though. Is anyone getting it?
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2019, 11:25:45 am »

Yeah, going from $0 to $30 is a bit of a leap, but presumably the game and netcode is now running at slightly higher than $0 quality? One can at least hope.

I like Barotrauma, and I'd like to support their Steam entrance, but I legitimately haven't been playing much of anything recently... Don't think I'm going to be splurging on games any time soon.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8