Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Barotrauma!  (Read 17472 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Barotrauma!
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2019, 11:59:41 am »

Yeah, going from $0 to $30 is a bit of a leap, but presumably the game and netcode is now running at slightly higher than $0 quality? One can at least hope.

I like Barotrauma, and I'd like to support their Steam entrance, but I legitimately haven't been playing much of anything recently... Don't think I'm going to be splurging on games any time soon.

Yeah, I think they'd have been better off going to $/£10 and then up to 30 once it was finished. 30 for an early access game which is a bit janky is a lot, even though its fun. I do sympathise with developers though - they feel their work is worth X, and they probably need so much to keep on development, but I would be hard pressed to recommend it to someone for that much.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2019, 08:54:23 am »

Yeah, I think they'd have been better off going to $/£10 and then up to 30 once it was finished. 30 for an early access game which is a bit janky is a lot, even though its fun. I do sympathise with developers though - they feel their work is worth X, and they probably need so much to keep on development, but I would be hard pressed to recommend it to someone for that much.

I have also heard that some developers will charge full price to make sure their beta testers are people who really want the game, and also because why not take more money. They could also just be trying to scam people by duct taping some janky netcode onto a free game, then take the money and run.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2019, 08:51:44 am »

It's not uncommon to raise the price in early access. I remember Planetary Annihilation did something like that, with a really expensive beta/EA period then dropped price for release. They wanted only those people willing to play and test a beta and report bugs, and who were interested in giving them extra support, to buy the beta. The beta price was like double the final release.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2019, 10:46:55 am »

It's not uncommon to raise the price in early access. I remember Planetary Annihilation did something like that, with a really expensive beta/EA period then dropped price for release. They wanted only those people willing to play and test a beta and report bugs, and who were interested in giving them extra support, to buy the beta. The beta price was like double the final release.

Yeah, I know a few games that have done that kinda thing - however normally they're really open/tell everyone about what they're doing and why they've put the price up so much. I haven't seen anything from the Barotrauma devs that says that's what they're doing, so I imagine they might just be over-pricing it.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2020, 07:25:35 am »

Rise and live thread!!!

Ok, Barotrauma is currently dor 12,50 € on Steam. It's stable and received a ton of content in couple of last updates.

I had a good time in singleplayer with bots, there are quite a few servers but I haven't dared to join, would prefer to play with Bay 12 folk.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 07:42:28 am by kulik »

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2020, 09:02:23 am »

I've been playing campaign with friends for a long while and it is tons of fun.

Forums and subreddit are filled with people going on and on about griefing and toxic culture in the game, but really, it is fun as a coop with friends without any griefing too. I haven't tried any open servers, tho, guess I should test them at some point just to see the chaos. I'd kind of like to play with traitor mode at some point. Pointless griefing where you aren't a traitor and just go to some sub to blow it up seems just stupid.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2020, 09:39:09 am »

I just finished my first multiplayer game. After a few tries I found a good server, no griefing, lots of fun. The game run a modified sub which would constantly fall apart and had a faulty reactor, it was modified to be extremely hard to run. I was the engineer and running that heap on auto was not an option, I was juggling fuel rods, switching of battery recharg and captain had to give me a shout out every time he would stop the sub cause the output drop would set the thing on fire. :)

I think it is important to join into a low player count server before the round starts and try to get everybody talking. We got two guys who would not speak just prompting to start the game, those may have been griefers, we just waited them out and they disconnected.

The high player servers with shuttle respawns are the worst, also, the servers labeled as "serious" and "RP" have less chance to have griefers.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2020, 12:28:12 pm »

Meh. It's a great game that is definitely worth the price tag of $30 in my opinion. Tons of replayability (near infinite), emergent gameplay, and constant updates to boot. Maybe that's cause I've been a fan since the extremely early days of free BT and I've more than got my money's worth by now, but I still love BT. The visuals, the effects, the atmosphere. It's so much more immersive and Deisel-punkish than any other game, and completely unique in its genre. It's a good game that recaptures the magic of SS13.

As for not playing multiplayer, I say just do it. Very rarely have I had games ruined by griefers or toxic people. They exist but are the minority. If you're a diehard roleplay /serious player than you might have some issues because BT (like SS13) is chaotic by nature, and people like to screw around a bit, but honestly if you just laugh it over and be a good sport about some things it's still very goal-oriented and teambased gameplay, just with varying levels of competence.

But my god I just love the atmosphere. Maybe it's because I've loved the game for so long and it's so damn beautiful now, but it just nails the underwater-disaster-survival aesthetic so freaking good.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2020, 01:03:38 pm »

I play BT with a group of friends who I used to play Space Station 13 with, and as someone who runs a role play server for SS13, I can honestly say I have no idea how or why people role play in BT. The game is just not conducive to it. That said, it is fun, but contrary to what Kulik said I would not call it stable. We get frequent crashes in multiplayer, both client and server. It's just become expected at this point in our MP campaign. There are also a lot of little bugs that you will run into. It's still worth playing, and with a group of friends it's fun for an early access game, but I definitely wouldn't call it stable.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2020, 02:27:23 pm »

I play BT with a group of friends who I used to play Space Station 13 with, and as someone who runs a role play server for SS13, I can honestly say I have no idea how or why people role play in BT. The game is just not conducive to it. That said, it is fun, but contrary to what Kulik said I would not call it stable. We get frequent crashes in multiplayer, both client and server. It's just become expected at this point in our MP campaign. There are also a lot of little bugs that you will run into. It's still worth playing, and with a group of friends it's fun for an early access game, but I definitely wouldn't call it stable.

I would agree on this point. There aren't a whole lot of bugs but the game can be weird connectivity wise, especially on MP campaign. That's generally kept to campaign, though, and besides that I don't think I've had issues in missions mode except maybe when everyone dc's at once but I think that's because of host connection more than anything. So no it's by no means perfect but as far as $30 early access games go it's by far one of the best.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2020, 02:51:12 pm »

I would agree on this point. There aren't a whole lot of bugs but the game can be weird connectivity wise, especially on MP campaign. That's generally kept to campaign, though, and besides that I don't think I've had issues in missions mode except maybe when everyone dc's at once but I think that's because of host connection more than anything. So no it's by no means perfect but as far as $30 early access games go it's by far one of the best.

Now it's only 12 bucks or so.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2020, 03:47:29 pm »

I would not call it stable.

Well... Is that compared to actually functional games, or is it compared to pre-Steam BT? :P Because it was pretty hilariously unstable back in the free days. Like, an easy 4/5 lobbies simply never connected into a game, and after early game connection fuckups are factored in you really only got into a game that went anywhere once in over dozen attempts.

At which point there's a moloch directly underneath the spawn area, but you'd already broken your ankles in the bilge hole so it didn't really matter anyways, and that's just why we love Barotrauma!

Damn, a lot of good titles coming on sale... I've wanted to hit up Steam BT for some time, but I have also just recently invested in Shadow of War so I'm currently a bit caught up with Pokémon: ORC. I'm conflicted.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2020, 04:40:30 pm »

I would not call it stable.

Well... Is that compared to actually functional games, or is it compared to pre-Steam BT? :P Because it was pretty hilariously unstable back in the free days. Like, an easy 4/5 lobbies simply never connected into a game, and after early game connection fuckups are factored in you really only got into a game that went anywhere once in over dozen attempts.

I've been playing BT since before Steam as well. I'd actually say it got worse during the start of its time on Steam, with regards to network issues. It has gotten a lot better since then, but even for an early access game, there are way too many network issues and desync-related crashes in mp campaigns to call it stable. Still a good game though, and I'd say it's worth it for the sale price if you have friends to play with.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2020, 04:43:47 pm »

This game looks interesting if it's easy to find people to play with.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2020, 03:22:32 am »

This game looks interesting if it's easy to find people to play with.

If you want to play a campaign, you are best off with people you know outside the game, whether from, say, Bay12 or IRL. Chaotic oneshots should be available randomly, if you don't mind the occasional idiots.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8