Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Barotrauma!  (Read 17712 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Barotrauma!
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2021, 07:10:02 pm »

Just got the game. Did the tutorials and started a campaign. First mission is to repair some nearby beacon. I figure out it needs a fuel cell. Forgot that I could switch characters and was wondering why people were calling for medical help. I get back and find the place swarming with those ugly things. Didn't realize I had a security room so I shanked the first 3 with a screwdriver. I manage to kill them all and repair the holes with just the electrician left. Find out nothing is working because no power, no power because fuel is out. I look in the locker and..... it's another empty fuel cell? I tried checking the bodies of the other crew to see if they grabbed any while in AI mode. Bodies are gone.

1) How fast does a reactor use a fuel rod? Because unless you start with empty fuel rods, it seems like you go through them pretty quickly.

2) Do corpses seriously despawn and take all their items with them??? Because the monster corpses have no problem sticking around for way too long.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2021, 06:02:32 am »

Fuel usage depends on the sub, some have hungrier reactors than others. Thorium rods last longer than uranium rods. Bots should keep the reactor active most of the time, though they are stupid and playing with a human crew is the best way to play.

Crew corpses eventually disappear, but they leave a duffel bag with all their inventory in it. Plus I think they only despawn when you end the round, at least in a campaign? Maybe the corpses got eaten by monsters or dropped outside the sub?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 07:57:21 am by Majestic7 »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2021, 03:16:09 pm »

I'll assume they got eaten. As for my fuel problem, I noticed something odd on my second try. When in a shop, it says I have 7 fuel rods, but when searching the ship, I only have 6. 1 in the reactor, 5 in a locker, none on my crew, and I'm pretty sure I've checked every other storage on the ship. Does anyone know if I am missing some super hard to see storage, or some other reason it's telling me I have one more rod than I can find?

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2021, 08:37:25 am »

Did you check the nuclear engineer's toolbelt? They often spawn with one rod in their pockets.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2021, 04:09:58 pm »

Did you check the nuclear engineer's toolbelt? They often spawn with one rod in their pockets.

I... I feel as though this may not be entirely OSHA-approved.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2021, 06:06:13 pm »

I'll just assume that it was in the toolbelt. The game is long gone. Apparently some alien artifacts spontaneously combust half your submarine if not kept underwater  :P

Anyway, found an awesome server first try, and am now actually enjoying the game. If this ever gets complicated to the point of rivalling SS13, it will become my new favorite game.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2021, 04:56:17 am »

I... I feel as though this may not be entirely OSHA-approved.

OSHA has no power here. Safety regulations have long since died and been given up on!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2022, 01:39:31 pm »

I am now obsessed with this game.

Did you know? With the cheapest ship(s), you can sell their contents for more than you paid for the sub?
And sometimes you have enough inventory to even run a mission!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2022, 10:20:23 pm »

Protip #2: If your area is overtaken by Radiation, it will kill off all (most) sea life.  So you can "win" a hunting mission without firing a shot!

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2022, 06:07:02 am »

Protip #2: If your area is overtaken by Radiation, it will kill off all (most) sea life.  So you can "win" a hunting mission without firing a shot!
I thought that killed  randomspawns but not quest mobs and the like?

Anyway I play this game a lot and I've got more than a few completed subs in the submarine editor, though I haven't really released them.  Here's the like single one that I've got published into the steam workshop.  I call it the Shoe..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In comparison to other subs I think it's pretty small I think, and it's got a lot of quirks.  The front is an unnecessarily huge crafting room - the front gun is an unreplaceable mining laser; it's really weak, so the unnecessarily huge crafting room is prone to flooding if you let it.  From there you head through cargo to the central shaft, which is also kinda large and flood-vulnerable.  I don't think there's a  pump in there, either.  To the right of the bottom floor is the also unnecessarily huge diving airlock.  There's no manual door control, it has to be toggled open and closed from the Captain's seat, and when it's open it's so big that even with all the ballasts empty it makes the ship sink.  To the left of the bottom-floor of the center shaft is the armory; it doesn't open from that side, but people in the armory can flip a lever to pop the door open and hand out weapons when needed.  Top-left of the shaft is a tiny crammed-in couple of electrical junctions and then past that is a ballast tank.  I don't think OSHA would approve of the placement.  Left is medbay, then gunnery/helm, a couple central guns on the middle floor, the pilot seat under them next to the door into the armory.  There's a switchboard that toggles fancy battlestation alarms and buzzers next to the periscopes controlling guns, to let people know which ones need to be manned.  Left of the pilot's seat is the reactor; past that is a tiny rear gunnery cockpit thing.  Left of gunnery, meanwhile, is the engine room with a buncha battery power arrays and a beat up bed.  You can rip off the door controls in there, which makes it into a ghetto jail cell, and there's a nice window so people can see and scream about the horrible fish trying to eat their way in.

It's got strong gun coverage but default guns are all very jank.  The front gun's weak, the top gun's a big rail cannon, which is a difficult weapon to use against small targets.  The ass-gun is another modded turret - a surplus coilgun.  Coilguns are kinda like  the standard ship gun; surplus ones are crappy versions of them, meant almost exlusively to get upgraded later.  the bottom gun's an autocannon, also a mod gun, but it's real good and is probably the only non-proglem weapon mounted.

Currently I've been working on a no-mods vanilla ship.  I think I've figured out minisubs finally.  The other noteworthy thing about it is that I've been trying to build a railgun not controlled by the normal periscope gun controllers.  Instead it uses  a nav terminal's sonar to (poorly) spot targets at range.  One rail points straight forward, but a tight cluster of THREE sit pointing straight up, with a button to make them switch between straight up and 45 degrees forward.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2022, 07:50:50 am »

Nice er, detailed ship!

I can see a lot of work went into it.  I actually haven't gone down the mod tunnel yet.
But plenty of my time has been absorbed by the ship designer.  Unfortunately, most of my ships have awful electrical layouts, as they are cumulative additions rather than an organized layout.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2022, 12:25:22 pm »

I am of the opinion that too good of a ship makes for a boring playthrough, so I definitely try to make them janky.

What do you mean by awful electrical layouts though?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2022, 12:43:55 pm »

Essentially, messy wires all over the place and the complete inability to track which Junction Box is powering which Vital System.
(Actually, that particular ship isn't too bad with Junction Box placement)

This second ship better illustrates the concept...

Also, an official modding guide came out!

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2022, 02:04:30 pm »

Ohhhh.  That's not so bad, it's just a couple.  Lemme grab the absolute nightmare where I kinda hooked up a billion subsystems without doing any organizing, so I had to wrangle my wires all at the end.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2022, 03:27:33 pm »

Ohhhh.  That's not so bad, it's just a couple.  Lemme grab the absolute nightmare where I kinda hooked up a billion subsystems without doing any organizing, so I had to wrangle my wires all at the end.

Ah, the Wire Storm Mk 1. Brutal.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8