Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with having stuff trigger on death of a creature  (Read 677 times)

Candlefly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help with having stuff trigger on death of a creature
« on: August 26, 2016, 08:39:54 pm »

Look at the title :P The reason is that I want to make a creature that appears weak, but if killed, will come back in a MUCH stronger form. My problems are:
a) How to only let it trigger on death
b) How to keep this from turning into an ultra deadly starfish; I only want one second form per creature, not one second form per chopped off limb.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Help with having stuff trigger on death of a creature
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 03:14:18 pm »

You can't really do this.  Well, you can have the creature give its enemies the ability to reanimate it as a much stronger creature, but they still have to choose to use the ability.

Alternate methods: you can give its blood a contact syndrome affecting only the creature itself that transforms it.  This will cause it to transform when it bleeds.  If you put the syndrome on its sweat instead (a substance that is secreted due to EXERTION) it will transform when it is exhausted, either from being beaten up or fighting too long.  Or, you can also give it a self-targeting interaction with USAGE_HINT:FLEEING, which will cause it to transform when it is fleeing.

Candlefly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 07:03:15 pm »

Ok, I'll try that :3

In other news, the creature has a really long error log at the moment so I may want to fix that first now that I've noticed.
Hey, how do I make it so that hair stops being an issue. I tried to remove it from a creature and from everywhere it wants to put it, but it's still filling the error log with stuff along the lines of 'WHOOPS, YOU FORGOT TO DEFINE HAIR!' (Not the real error message but you get what I mean)
I figured out that problem.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 07:28:47 pm by Candlefly »

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 01:41:34 pm »

Look at the title :P The reason is that I want to make a creature that appears weak, but if killed, will come back in a MUCH stronger form. My problems are:
a) How to only let it trigger on death
b) How to keep this from turning into an ultra deadly starfish; I only want one second form per creature, not one second form per chopped off limb.
I think there's a Dfhack script that triggers another command on a death, but I can't remember what it was.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."