Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 91

Author Topic: Gender/sexuality etc. - What Even Is A Gender Anyway  (Read 131932 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Gender/sexuality etc. - YOU EXPECTED A TITLE, BUT IT WAS ME, DIO!
« Reply #510 on: October 20, 2016, 12:53:49 pm »

edit: Removed it again.  Less likely to be repeated now.
That's one way of putting it. Damn Toady, laying down the hammer.
Gender is relevant so long as people identify by it. And trying to tell people not to identify as certain stuff is what brought up the thing anyway.
This is worth remembering even if it is decided that Gender is totally arbitrary or whatever. Race is, as a scientific concept, completely bankrupt. But we still go around talking in terms of "White" and "Black", because even if there isn't an intrinsic difference, until people actually start ignoring race, its still there.
This is sort of off topic, but why did guys suddenly start calling women they're potentially interested in "females?"
I have no idea. I don't even know if I do it, but I don't think I do, because I hear a lot of complaints about it (it is weird). I usually use "girls", because "women" seems too adult for my age-group (I don't really think of myself as a "man" either, even though I've been one for a little while now).
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Gender/sexuality etc. - The dark hammer has fallen upon us!
« Reply #511 on: October 20, 2016, 01:08:13 pm »

HELLO HUMANS I TOO AM HUMAN LET US PARTAKE IN HUMAN CONVERSATION

As the most progressive being ever, I call everyone "creature" regardless of their gender. You silly creatures.

Anyway, so long as gender is perceived as a spectrum, I doubt the idea of "genderless" people will ever be taken seriously. You can't really be outside the spectrum without being some sort of horrible mutant or extradimensional entity, WHICH I AM CERTAINLY NOT, DEAR HUMANS, LET US PARTAKE IN HUMAN CONVERSATION AT A FURTHER 4TH DIMENSIONAL BUBBLE.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #512 on: October 20, 2016, 02:35:14 pm »

I've found that a good analogy for genderlessness is that it is like being bald. You don't have a hair colour, so baldness isn't a hair colour per se, but since it occupies the hair colour "slot", it can be considered to be a sort-of hair colour.

Of course that's not perfect, as most bald people used to have hair, and then there's pubic no.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: October 20, 2016, 02:44:43 pm »

I guess...
Though I'm increasingly sick of caring about gender at all.  "Bald" takes a lot of maintenance, whereas genderfluid (for me) is just "whatever, I don't care, I'm not even going to say anything unless asked.  And then I'll say just say what they want to hear, or admit that I don't care."

She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: October 20, 2016, 04:38:17 pm »

I hit on obviously lesbian females all the time, but the social dynamic changes when their preference is bought up.
For some people sticking to their preference is priority over pleasurable experiences despite being mutaly and sexualy attracted.

I don't get this. You hit on lesbians (assuming you're a guy) and then wonder why they 'stick to their preference despite being sexually attracted'? Surely if they're homosexual they uh, wouldn't be attracted to you?

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: October 20, 2016, 04:40:11 pm »

But I simply can't imagine a gender that is not connected in some way to the male-female "anchors." Cisgender, transgender are each on an anchor. Genderlessness isn't even on the graph, it's not a gender. Everything else I've seen is like "demifemale" or "hemidemisemifemale", which is "halfway from one to the other."

Or if gender itself is a combination of multiple traits that go from F to M, and if you have mostly M then you're male, then we're still stuck to the F/M anchors.

Agreed. Imo gender is the mental/societal aspect of the physical sex, and you only get male/female/intersex in human bodies. Gender has to follow the same spectrum otherwise we're doing stupid tumblr things like identifying as pudding. Though that would be tasty.

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: October 20, 2016, 08:22:02 pm »

I don't get this. You hit on lesbians (assuming you're a guy) and then wonder why they 'stick to their preference despite being sexually attracted'? Surely if they're homosexual they uh, wouldn't be attracted to you?

Sure you can assume.
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: October 20, 2016, 08:26:04 pm »

I guess...
Though I'm increasingly sick of caring about gender at all.  "Bald" takes a lot of maintenance, whereas genderfluid (for me) is just "whatever, I don't care, I'm not even going to say anything unless asked.  And then I'll say just say what they want to hear, or admit that I don't care."
That sounds more like agender?  Or at least gender-apathetic.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: October 20, 2016, 08:49:55 pm »

It reads more like a statement to myself.

I've been with lesbians, though when their preference is aired they usually snap back to being 'true' lesbian and nothing comes of it.
The other coin flip, is I've woken up to women saying that they dont sleep with guys and it was a one time thing for fun.
So I assumed that most people are Bi, but let their opinions get in the way.
* Equips full plate
Ok im ready for the megabeast corrections

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: October 20, 2016, 08:52:03 pm »

I hit on obviously lesbian females all the time, but the social dynamic changes when their preference is bought up.
For some people sticking to their preference is priority over pleasurable experiences despite being mutaly and sexualy attracted.

I am just trying to think of this from the Lesbian's point of view ASSUMING that the "I am attracted to you" is true and not an inference.

I am being hit on by some guy and ok yeah he is charming and I am getting a little attracted... Maybe...

"You're gay right?"

Me: "UGH!!!... Never freeken mind..."

"Hey come on, you are clearly attracted to me, why are you sticking to being gay when you know it will be great being with me"

Me: "If I was straight... I think I'd convert to homosexuality."

I dunno... Your attitude is repulsive... As in... It repulses me sexually.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 08:53:44 pm by Neonivek »

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: October 20, 2016, 08:58:13 pm »

I never ask anyones sexuality or gender, i really dont care, Im a whore for love.
No it usually is brought up by the other party(s)
I like how im a rude person all of a sudden

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: October 20, 2016, 08:59:29 pm »

I never ask anyones sexuality or gender, i really dont care, Im a whore for love.
No it usually is brought up by the other party(s)
I like how im a rude person all of a sudden

Sorry

"I'm gay"

"That's alright baaaby, we can just look past it and have a good time"

"No"

"Why you holding onto it. Don't you know a good time? You can go right back to gay afterwards"

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: October 20, 2016, 08:59:43 pm »

two cents incoming: Seems like most people are attracted to both genders naturally, but repress those feelings after being exposed to societal norms and any given value system. Not to mention a whole range of fucked up things that can ruin people's sexuality for life from the seemingly innocuous lack of early sexual exploration to inflicted trauma.

EDIT: Also, Neonivek: chill, dawg. Flirting is something that everyone does... pretty much with everyone else for that matter, regardless of sexuality.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 09:01:14 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: October 20, 2016, 09:01:00 pm »

two cents incoming: Seems like most people are attracted to both genders naturally, but repress those feelings after being exposed to societal norms and any given value system. Not to mention a whole range of fucked up things that can ruin people's sexuality for life from the seemingly innocuous lack of early sexual exploration to inflicted trauma.

The thing is... Sexual Attraction isn't enough for sexual intercourse alone. Sexual attraction is a lot like a sense.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: October 20, 2016, 09:03:42 pm »

The thing is... Sexual Attraction isn't enough for sexual intercourse alone. Sexual attraction is a lot like a sense.

K, fam. Are we or are we not talking about gender and sexuality in this thread? That doesn't even make a whole lot of sense.. because there are many many many situations where you are attracted to people when common sense tells you not to be and there are plenty of situations where you can be sexually attracted to someone without them being sexually attractive in a commonly understood way.

EDIT: ... And vice versa, there are situations where you aren't attracted at all to people who could be commonly understood to be sexually attractive.

EDITEDIT: What IS enough for sexual intercourse then?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 09:05:23 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 91