Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 91

Author Topic: Gender/sexuality etc. - What Even Is A Gender Anyway  (Read 130024 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Gender/sexuality etc. - The dark hammer has fallen upon us!
« Reply #570 on: October 22, 2016, 02:39:21 pm »

If only I dreamt.  Of anything :v
Not to be a pedant but everyone dreams. It's just a matter of you not remembering it.
If you can never observe a thing, did it happen?
Yes. It's a quite often thing when things that people don't consciously remember continues to affect them on the subconscious level. A lot of phobias are like that.

@Sergarr:Teach meeeeeeee
See that's the tricky part. To make a Dark Pact, you need to find a devil, but as you all know, devils don't quite exist IRL. So you have to imagine one, really hard, and then you have to sell your soul

/jk

But really, as much as I doubt it would work for another person (because our minds are highly, highly individual), you can try the following:

@Sergarr, one post later:*hugs*
* Sergarr hugs back
._.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: October 22, 2016, 05:42:38 pm »

@Sergarr:That sounds pretty cool.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Codician

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: October 23, 2016, 12:42:47 am »

I have a real problem with this, mainly that Allah is DEFINITELY male. There's no other way around it, especially considering in the Qu'ran he refers to himself as male.

This person has a huge lack of understanding of both gender AND Islam. What a mess.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: October 23, 2016, 12:49:48 am »

Perhaps it's less literal than you are interpreting. Allah or God may serve as a metonym for the religion.
ie. Islam has no gender.
I'm sure she holds some very strong opinions, and that she'd love to share them.

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: October 23, 2016, 01:02:06 am »

I have a real problem with this, mainly that Allah is DEFINITELY male. There's no other way around it, especially considering in the Qu'ran he refers to himself as male.

This person has a huge lack of understanding of both gender AND Islam. What a mess.

Just like all deitys DEFINITELY exsist?
Translated into my language it goes like this; You what mate?!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 04:55:43 am by Catmeat »
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

Codician

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: October 23, 2016, 01:03:01 am »

Perhaps it's less literal than you are interpreting. Allah or God may serve as a metonym for the religion.
ie. Islam has no gender.
I'm sure she holds some very strong opinions, and that she'd love to share them.

Their Imam would have some very strong opinions on how wrong they are on that.

I mean, the order of importance in creation is pretty much Allah > Man > Woman. Trying to change Islam like that is heresy, it's not something that can be reformed like Christianity.

Just like all deitys DEFINITELY exsist?
Translated into my language it goes like this; You what mate?!

???

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: October 23, 2016, 02:01:39 am »

ie. Islam has no gender.

I mean, the order of importance in creation is pretty much Allah > Man > Woman. Trying to change Islam like that is heresy, it's not something that can be reformed like Christianity.
Neither was Christianity, until someone did it anyway.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Codician

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: October 23, 2016, 02:45:51 am »

Huge differences between Islam and Christianity at the most basic level of theology.

Believing Islam can be reformed without it becoming not!Islam is fundamentally ignorant of the religion itself.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: October 23, 2016, 03:13:56 am »

ie. Islam has no gender.

Christians are equally unreformed in that sense, since they keep calling their deity "Father." :P

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: October 23, 2016, 03:18:20 am »

Christians are equally unreformed in that sense, since they keep calling their deity "Father." :P

There's still your old pal the Holy Ghost though, which is a weird energy thing that suffuses all things holy and such, and probably has no real gender that we know of. And hey, there's Jesus, commonly depicted as gentle, long-haired, pure and submissive to his ultimate fate. That is, when he's not withering trees and beating the shit out of people with a whip made of his hair - the latter of which, come to think of it, is also kind of effeminate in a more modern tropey context.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: October 23, 2016, 04:02:47 am »

But really, as much as I doubt it would work for another person (because our minds are highly, highly individual), you can try the following:
tried this, just ended up feeling weird in my stomach and got a boner, but also felt extreme dysphoria, dunno if that was intentional :v
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: October 23, 2016, 04:25:06 am »

tried this, just ended up feeling weird in my stomach and got a boner, but also felt extreme dysphoria, dunno if that was intentional :v
Hm.

Okay I don't exactly know what this "dysphoria" thing is, but if it's that thing where you feel mad uncomfortable about yourself, then yes, this thing can cause that. Keep trying more, though, it should eventually get better.

Oh, and also before I forget, you probably also need to do the reversal afterwards. So, like, points 4 and 3, but you instead push your clingy inner world outside of your control room and mentally seal the path with a barrier so that you start feeling like yourself again.

It might also help if you try to anthropomorphize your inner world, somewhat. It was fairly natural to me, but I don't know if that's a thing that is natural for anyone else.
._.

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: October 23, 2016, 04:50:44 am »

I think the religious shit can stay out of this thread, any more and I may be a bitch and report it.
Take that to the religion thread created by orange wizard. May his banned soul rest in hell
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: October 23, 2016, 04:53:54 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Allah is refered to in male pronouns and COULD be considered masculine...

But no she is definitely right... Allah has no real gender... Being genderless and all that.

---

As for this having no REAL position in a gender/sexuality thread

Unfortunately it really REALLY REALLY does... but in ways that are a bit too dark for this (AKA: Another excuse for female inferiority)

But I agree perhaps we shouldn't focus on it.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 05:34:08 am by Neonivek »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: October 23, 2016, 05:38:42 am »

(Darnit, quoted instead of spoilered.  Corrected. Again.)

And in any language where one has to make a clear choice of Masculine and Feminine (Arabic is exactly that, so far as I am aware), there has to be a polar choice made by the person, or else go through convoluted hurdles to say the equivalent of "It" whilst retaining the deference one wishes to apply to the version of the almighty concerned...

Someone makes the choice, and that someone was a man. Whether he (or his inspiration) intended it, this choice then gets instantiated by others and accidentally/willfully taken as more literal than the original mere literary convenience.

(Gender is a sociopolitical issue not limited to religion, in short. If I had mentioned seeing my doctor, the other day, and then go on to say she told me something about my health, would you have avoided the obvious initial but incorrect assumption? Or (over)compensated at the risk of him being male after all? Before going off into further realms of possibility.)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 05:47:38 am by Starver »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 91