Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 91

Author Topic: Gender/sexuality etc. - What Even Is A Gender Anyway  (Read 130042 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Gender/sexuality etc. - The dark hammer has fallen upon us!
« Reply #645 on: October 24, 2016, 11:58:46 am »

Neither do treehuggerhuggers

Do you want quote pyramids? This is how you get quote pyramids. Silly treehuggerhuggerhugger.
I accidentally read the middle "hugger" as "bugger"...

was my mind always that dirty
._.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: October 24, 2016, 12:14:37 pm »

Arx, Asexual is actually the formal term, yeah. People started using that for people who prefer their relationships to be intercourse-free, which confuses things.

Honestly, we should probs come up with a better word for "No Sex Pls". Or redefine orientation in terms of Attraction like in the thought experiment a few pages ago. That works better than defining orientation as Who You Want To Have Sex With, so people don't have to specify that they still want romantic relationships but don't experience sexual desire. Androphilic/Gynophilic casts love and romantic attraction as the important part, rather than the sexy times, and I like the simplicity.

The nickname for people who don't like or want sex with anyone... are Aces

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: October 24, 2016, 12:19:06 pm »

All that elf booty ... gone to waste.
         ∧_∧
           ( ´_ゝ`)    
         /   \      
    /    / ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄/
  __(__ニつ/  B12  /
      \/____/
         ∧_∧
           ('  º_ゝº)    
         /   \      
    /    / ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄/
  __(__ニつ/  B12  /
      \/____/
         ∧_∧
           ( ´_ゝ`)   treehuggers never learn, do they
         /   \      
    /    / ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄/
  __(__ニつ/  B12  /
      \/____/

|  _∧      ∧_∧
  |  ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ´_ゝ`)  
  |    \/   \      
  |   /    / ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄/
  |__  (__ニつ/  B12  /
      \/____/

∧_∧     ∧_∧
ey bby ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( º_ゝº)    
         /      \/   \      
        /     /    / ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄/
          __(__ニつ/  B12  /
              \/____/

Arx, Asexual is actually the formal term, yeah. People started using that for people who prefer their relationships to be intercourse-free, which confuses things.

Honestly, we should probs come up with a better word for "No Sex Pls". Or redefine orientation in terms of Attraction like in the thought experiment a few pages ago. That works better than defining orientation as Who You Want To Have Sex With, so people don't have to specify that they still want romantic relationships but don't experience sexual desire. Androphilic/Gynophilic casts love and romantic attraction as the important part, rather than the sexy times, and I like the simplicity.

The nickname for people who don't like or want sex with anyone... are Aces

Hilariously enough, in many games, the ace card has the least value, and is only worth many points when combined with other cards. So its the least asexual nickname for asexuals, while also implying asexuals are trash :v
Plus I never met anyone who seriously adopted the term, which is good.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 12:30:58 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: October 24, 2016, 12:42:52 pm »

The Ace is typically the wild card. The smallest and largest and in Tarot the Ace are typically the hero.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: October 24, 2016, 12:51:17 pm »

I've met someone who uses Ace as a descriptor for themselves.

It's literally just short for asexual. Just like trans and bi are shortened versions of transgendered/transsexual and bisexual.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #650 on: October 24, 2016, 01:37:40 pm »

Hmm, interesting, so there are multiple components to, or expressions of, dysphoria? I remember that autism has multiple "components," and somebody with a certain number or more would be considered autistic; is dysphoria similar, or is it "all components or nothing"?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: October 24, 2016, 01:39:36 pm »

I used to use "ACE" if ever I had a score good enough to be asked to record it on an arcade video game1, three or four decades ago.

Click, right, right, Click, right, right, Click...
(Or "Fire, Drift over, Fire, Drift over, Fire" in a light-pistol game, which I was strangely often very good at..)

Nothing to do with my initials, but then I never was out to prove anything, and if I saw "ACE" on a game I hadn't played, I still got that internal warm feeling, in taking credit from a true narcissist...  ;)

1 For the youngsters among us a "video game arcade" had, like, loads of nintendos and xboxes and things, only before there were xboxes, all sort of like running MAME, but you couldn't do anything to change the MAME game, 'cos they were, like, sealed into a big TV cabinet (a big cabinet with a small TV in it, actually) and the joypad was only accessible by pressing buttons attached to the cabinet and you had to put coins in a slot to work the little generator to power the controls, or something...  Because of all this security, they had to put a load of these machines in one big room, and you went to the bit of the room that had the cabinet playing the game you wanted and then waited whilst someone on the autistic spectrum used his few coins to keep the game you wanted to play going for half an hour or more...   Or something like that. Some of the details are lost in the mists of time, and the only thing anybody really knows is that these places also suffered from thematically-inclined graffitit artists, such that the cabinets were all covered with strange writing that was often, but not always, related to the kind of thing the cabinet's TV was showing.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: October 24, 2016, 01:41:19 pm »

Hmm, interesting, so there are multiple components to, or expressions of, dysphoria? I remember that autism has multiple "components," and somebody with a certain number or more would be considered autistic; is dysphoria similar, or is it "all components or nothing"?
I'm pretty sure that people have already said that it's individual. We're talking about our minds, remember? Our personalities are not so easy to put into neat color-coded boxes.
._.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #653 on: October 24, 2016, 01:45:11 pm »

Not components as in "components of the mind." That was a bad word. I suppose "symptom" is a better way of putting it, although still imperfect.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: October 24, 2016, 10:53:37 pm »

Hmm. If nothing else, I've known several people who experience dysphoria differently. I've known people who are deeply upset about their body and/or the role society put them in, or who have a fundamental feeling that their body isn't "right". I know other people who'd just prefer to have a different body or role, so they change and experiment until they find something that they like... like adopting a new style of clothes or getting a new haircut. No doubt there's shades between these, and others who experience it differently than either.

We can't know anyone else's mind, so we have to trust people's self-assessment. Still, sometimes I wonder if the Hardcore Dysphoria is just a reaction against the aggressive gender policing that happens in some religious or cultural circles. In some places, it wouldn't be enough to just have a preference to tweak their body, or to want to dress in a different way than their culture deems appropriate for their assigned gender role. In cases like that, I could see someone using that kind of Dysphoria to "justify" their identity in a way those people would accept.

Same stuff happens with gay folks, being forced to justify an open sexuality as some clear-cut biological or fundamental difference in their sexuality, rather than just being an interest or preference. Wish we could just generally let people love who they want to love at any given time, without slapping labels on it. Sexualities and Gender Identities and all that change as people live and grow, and learn about themselves. I worry that talking about them in terms of absolute labels and fundamental traits might make people think less of folks who change ore redefine them as they come to understand themselves better.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 10:59:05 pm by Solifuge »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: October 24, 2016, 11:02:54 pm »

I just played a pretty IF game about dysmorphia.  It's a bit heavy handed with the symbolism but not too bad, some people might like it.

At first I thought it was being judgemental of my choices but actually, probably not.  I think I was projecting my self-resentment on it!  And a game that can give me a bit of introspection like that isn't so bad, particularly a short one.

Does take a while to load though, lots of animated gifs and music.  https://fallingawkwardly.wordpress.com/games-by-me/
(It's the same person who LP'd Witcher and analyzed the "love interests" so comedically)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: October 25, 2016, 12:53:46 am »

Oof. Some of the content itself was feels-inducing to the point of being emotionally difficult... but I liked the experience. Played through, and got the 4 endings. Loved the artistry, particularly the duality in the visuals and scroll-over text. Feeling a bit melancholy, but thank you for sharing it.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: October 25, 2016, 01:06:13 am »

The Ace is typically the wild card. The smallest and largest and in Tarot the Ace are typically the hero.
As a noun, ace can refer to playing cards, but as an adjective, it's more clear about connotation. As in an ace pilot or similar. Whose etymology comes from the fact that aces are often the most valuable card. So yeah, ace is a term which generally has very positive connotation to it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: October 25, 2016, 01:12:26 am »

To me, it has extreme douche connotations. Anyone who would unironically use the word ace about themselves would get a huge "can you believe this guy?" marker in my internal person register.
Love, scriver~

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: October 25, 2016, 03:01:45 am »

Same goes for any positive descriptor though. Who non-ironically calls themselves cool?
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 91