Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Super Fast Dwarves  (Read 2319 times)

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Super Fast Dwarves
« on: August 28, 2016, 06:17:01 pm »

Hi all,

Returning newbie again, back with another question!

I used to use the [SPEED:#] cheat in the Dwarf species setting to make them super fast. It was a big help with clearing clutter out of a new fortress and getting it set up before winter. However, the method of doing this seems to have changed as of the version I'm using, which is the latest.

I've looked at the cheats page on the wiki, and it says that new versions should look for the [HOMEOTHERM:#####] tag and change that. It seems to suggest that you should refer to whatever number is set for the Fairy species and use that ... but it's the same number as the dwarves already have.

Can anyone please handhold me through the current method of making dwarves super fast haulers/workers/getting-arounders? :)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Super Fast Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 06:31:05 pm »

The cheating page doesn't say that and it really shouldn't, I don't see how that matters.

What you want to change are gaits. They won't haul very fast (that still relies on strength), but they will move very fast. DFHack is the only way to make them move very fast in everything now. Replace this:

APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_BIPED_GAITS:900:711:521:293:1900:2900

with this:

APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_BIPED_GAITS:1:1:1:1:1:1

And replace all those numbers with 1 in all of the GAITS tags.

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 07:52:02 pm »

It did indeed say as much to me, unless I am looking at the wrong wiki version (40d) ...

Super-Fast Dwarves

If you believe your dwarves are a bit too slow, try opening the following creature token file...

\raw\objects\creature_standard.txt

...and adding [SPEED:1] (or SPEED:0 if you're up to some psychedelic light speed traveling) somewhere after [CREATURE:DWARF] but before the next [CREATURE] entry. *NEW RELEASE EDIT* Find [HOMEOTHERM:#####] and add [SPEED:###] edit the "#" and replace with desired value ((found by looking at creature fairy) edit if needed)

This will make your dwarves do the majority of their actions super fast, including moving, digging and workshop actions.

This may, ironically, lower FPS when a high population is present, but no more than what doing many actions at once would.

I've already messed around with the fields you've suggested and set them to 0, rather than 1, but I'll try switching to 1. I found the DFHack solution, as well, so that may resolve my issue.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 08:09:34 pm »

40d is 8 years old--0.31.01 is the version they're "updating" for, being released in 2010. It's telling you to put SPEED below HOMEOTHERM, the order doesn't matter at all. This was true from 0.31.01 to 0.34.11--0.40.01 was an overhaul of the combat and movement systems that necessitated the new GAIT system.

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 08:16:36 pm »

40d is 8 years old--0.31.01 is the version they're "updating" for, being released in 2010. It's telling you to put SPEED below HOMEOTHERM, the order doesn't matter at all. This was true from 0.31.01 to 0.34.11--0.40.01 was an overhaul of the combat and movement systems that necessitated the new GAIT system.

In fairness, I did admit at the outset that I could be misinterpreting or reading incorrectly. I haven't played in a very, very long time. :)

I apologize if this has somehow annoyed you. It's tough to read tone from text, but I got that impression.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 09:44:30 pm »

No, not annoyed, just sorta emphasizing.