Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Composing / Writing Within Sites  (Read 2847 times)

liamjames

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Composing / Writing Within Sites
« on: August 27, 2016, 06:42:02 pm »

Hi everyone,

Is there a good reason why this isn't allowed? Seems odd that I can't compose a poem in a tavern or write a novel in a ruin, and have to stand outside and get ambushed like a lemon.

LJ

xandalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Composing / Writing Within Sites
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 07:59:56 pm »

Can't say I know the answer to that. When those features were first out, you could compose/write in-sites. At least, if I recall correctly.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 08:05:02 pm »

Wait, you can't compose in a tavern? Are you a bandit or something?

liamjames

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 09:10:54 pm »

I didn't think I was, but if this isn't a feature then it must be something I said/did.

Thanks.

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 03:07:57 am »

I've had adventurers that couldn't sing/dance/recite. Presumably this is because the civ they belong to doesn't have any applicable artforms. Are you an outsider?
We are currently three turns in, and the main hall is coated in blood, intestines and random corpses. There's a huge pile of 3000 items made of human body parts in a corner and remaining members of the staff of the museum are, as I type this, being slowly choked to death by one of our adventurers.

liamjames

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 08:49:48 am »

No, I've tried it a few times most recently as a dwarf noble based in the same fortress. It still tells me I have to leave the site in order to compose/write.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 11:28:48 am »

Oh wait, that might be a world-gen fort thing, I disabled them due to the lag from everyone piling up and down the rampspiral every time you load the map.

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 12:27:11 pm »

No, I've tried it a few times most recently as a dwarf noble based in the same fortress. It still tells me I have to leave the site in order to compose/write.

Hmm... I can't say I've ever done any composing in a world gen fort, but I know you can compose inside towns and hamlets.
We are currently three turns in, and the main hall is coated in blood, intestines and random corpses. There's a huge pile of 3000 items made of human body parts in a corner and remaining members of the staff of the museum are, as I type this, being slowly choked to death by one of our adventurers.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 01:43:29 am »

I could neither sleep nor compose in a retired fortress.  This was frustrating because the nearest safe place to spend the night was over 1 day away.  Luckily I was able to recruit a companion.  I suspect it's on purpose to stop people from trying to spend large amounts of time at the site.

I have both slept and composed in a site that I built myself in adventure mode, though.  It made me wonder if I claimed the retired fortress, whether I'd be able to sleep/compose.  Other places I couldn't sleep/compose were goblin pits.  I haven't tried in a fortress, but had no trouble in hamlets and hillocks (even a hillock that was abandoned).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 05:10:15 am »

Are you a member of the same civ as the retired fortress? Not sure why it'd make a difference but I vaguely recall having slept at a retired fortress before. It was after having impressed the mayor with my awesome dancing but he was still stuck on 'impress me first' instead of making me a fortress member. So I slept, as at the time it was a good way to kickstart the rumour/reputation process. Worked too.

It was a while ago though. I may actually just have stepped out to camp instead.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 10:13:48 am »

Yes, I was a civ of the retired fortress, so that might be the issue.  Must test a bit more...

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 02:51:35 am »

I can compose anywhere. Including taverns.

What version are you using? There were some fort related adventure mode bugs in a couple o the 43 versions.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 02:53:09 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 03:51:28 am »

What version are you using? There were some fort related adventure mode bugs in a couple o the 43 versions.
Including taverns in retired fortresses?

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 02:49:33 am »

Including taverns in retired fortresses?

Havent tried taverns in retired fortresses, the first time I tried to go to a fort mode tavern in adventure mode was in version 42 and it was buggy as all heck.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2016, 04:28:44 pm »

I couldn't even sleep near my retired fortress. I was part of the civ, starting as a member of the fort guard (hearthperson). Was playing 0.43.03, generated earlier (0.42.05?).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 04:36:59 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: [1] 2