Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Roll To The Previous Suggestion: Let the Insanity Begin  (Read 1057 times)

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
Roll To The Previous Suggestion: Let the Insanity Begin
« on: August 28, 2016, 06:34:46 pm »

1: complete failure
2: failure
3: no progress
4: some success
5: complete success
6: You went WAY overboard

The premiss:
I am a lazy gm. In fact, I am such a lazy gm that if I bothered to actually try and run a forum game, it would die within a few turns. So with that in mind, I'm not going to be any of the gm stuff, you are.

Rules:
In a post, first roll for the action which the previous person suggested and write a continuation of the story based on the suggestion and the roll.
Next, post an action/actions to do. (all of you are controlling the main character). Now let me just give you the basic scenario and send you on your way. Good luck, and see ya later. Now go forth and adventure.

EDIT: NO DOUBLE POSTING ALOUD

The Story So Far:
You are a adventurer just beginning on your first adventure. (As players you may suggest things to define who the adventurer is in addition to their background, who they travel with, etc. Feel free to suggest actions for npcs as well)

First player to post doesn't need to post a roll for this as this is just backstory. This is your story to tell after all. Not mine.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 06:37:11 pm by star2wars3 »
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

Pearofclubs

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of -it-
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To The Previous Suggestion: Let the Insanity Begin
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 04:08:57 pm »

( I know I don't have to, but... He he, couldn't resist on the chance I'd roll poorly! )
[1] You do indeed have that back story, but...
Everyone who knew you told you that becoming an adventurer would be a bad idea. You are kinda scrawny, and the best gear you could get together to start out was clothes, five copper, a small pack of chicken feed and a solid walking stick, all of which you already had from your job as a farmhand. You don't let it get you down, though! That stick is your Excalibur, and the chicken feed is your heroes banquet! You'll show em all!

Standing stoically in the sun, hands against your hips, forcefully demand a quest from the first person that happens to walk by.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 04:20:09 pm by Pearofclubs »

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 06:15:58 pm »

[5] One fine afternoon, you are sent to run errands (You are so poor that you need to run a few small jobs in addition to your main job to survive) when you see a travelling merchants guild head into town. They're advertising 50,000 gold pieces to any adventuring party that can slay the Red Dragon of Cryptic caverns (Not that you have any idea where that is) and bring back its head. They doubt that you have what it takes, but they suppose that at worse, they can always just create an army of commoners to take on the dragon. You are hired. They instruct you to head north to the next town and meet the rest of the adventurers at the Dark Paladin Tavern.

Buy a cheap sword for 5 copper or less. Haggle or steal if need be.
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 06:21:51 pm »

(6) Well then. After heading to the Tavern, you ask to buy a sword for 5 copper or less.

This was not what you had in mind. You are now the proud owner of a magical longsword forged of adamantium, courtesy of an elderly adventurer who intends to retire after this adventure.
You are also: out 5 copper pieces, which the elderly adventurer is using to buy a drink.
You are also also: Out a significant portion of your life, seeing as you have agreed to be trained in the usage of this sword, in the Whirling Wolf sword fighting style, by said elderly adventurer, during and after this adventure. And apparently, learning said style takes years. Great.

((I recommend a time skip once necessary.))

Socialize with the other adventurers.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 05:09:39 pm »

[6]You decide to socialize with your fellow adventurers. There are five people in your new party, including yourself, and you go around the Tavern introducing yourself.
First up is a mysterious figure, dressed in a blood red (hooded) robe that hides their entire face. You introduce yourself.
Spoiler: Dialogue (click to show/hide)
You slowly back away and as you turn around, you think you catch a glimpse of the horns of a tiefling under the hood.

Next you find the next member of your party, a wise dwarf, battle-hammer to his side, muttering a prayer to a dwarven deity you've never heard of before, Armok.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You're pretty sure that this party member is drunk but on the offchance that he isn't you move away.

Right next to the dwarf is the Old Man who gave you the legendary sword. He is drunk. You see a letter in his pocket congratulating him on becoming an honorary dwarf.
He informs you in garbles speech, "Dush Ye Lub me Sar-hic-abell-hic-uh." He then proceeds to try kissing you and passes out. You begin to wonder if there are any normal people in the party.

A young female half-elf dressed in the garb of a ranger sighs.
Spoiler: dialogue (click to show/hide)
The conversation continues until grandpa is safely in his room.

Say goodnight and get a good nights sleep. [GM note, don't try anything funny with the half-elf or grandpa will be VERY angry with you]

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 06:52:25 pm »

(1) ((...))

You're about to head to your room when the dwarf shoves a drink at you. While unconscious. You've heard rumors of this, that dwarves can act while unconscious if fueled by alcoholic beverages. Out of politeness(of a sort), you take a sip before...

You decide not to pass it back, considering how good it tastes. Whew, that's the good stuff!

As it turns out, the dwarf paid for unlimited drinks, using a necklace he got from his previous adventure. Probably overkill, but who are you to argue, free booze!

More booze.

Whew! MORE BOOZE! Your laughter echoes through the air. Colors spiral through the air. This is wonderful. Wonderful! WONDERFUL! You dance to the left! To the right! To the- your leg moves in a way it shouldn't have.
~~~
You wake up, nursing an aching head. Turns out you hit your head while drunk. Drunk. It also turns out alcohol works very well on you.

"All right then, son. Now that we're sober, it's time for your first lesson before we need to leave."

Ho boy. You may not be tired, but you're still a bit dizzy from all that, and your head aches.
~~~
All right then. Begin the lesson. Try not to get hurt too badly.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 12:00:58 am »

[2] Woooaah. You knew you were drunk, but not that drunk. Good thing the old man's belt was as sturdy as it was, or it would have been cut it ha- oh wait, it was. And he doesn't look too happy about it.

You are fighting 1 very angry OLD MAN. He is unarmed(?), drunk, and hostile. His reaction level is 2/6, and his aggression level is 3/6.
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 09:36:11 am »

(4)
You take a few surprisingly swift blows from the old codger that make your head ring (all the more so for your antics last night) before you manage to slip out the door. The old man throws a chair out after you and you sprint off down the hall and out into the town. It will be awhile before he calms down enough for you to return, so you decide to focus on finding some food and water to help clear your headache.
You have 0 copper.
You have never been to this town before.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.