Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to get Internet Friends  (Read 3563 times)

:3

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How to get Internet Friends
« on: August 28, 2016, 10:19:10 pm »

I am in need of friends on the Internet. What is a good way to find them?

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: How to get Internet Friends
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 10:43:50 pm »

Buy a Steamer and go cook for them. In the meanwhile, go play some board games with whoever's home while the rest of your friends grab a bunch of ingredients you forgot to buy on the grocery.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 11:01:51 pm »

That...is not a kitchen/spambot, Trapezohedron. :P Treat everything as sincere if it's on a Life Advice (or in general) board.

"To find them"?
I'm presuming you've got friends there since you're making 'on the Internet' specific--it's just like making friends IRL. General tips are: Open communication--which needn't be constant, but persistent, in the least enough that you know each other very well that time doesn't make any difference. Value of others and trust--to get friends you must be a friend, let others know your quirks and strengths or how you generally act, so whenever something seems off they have something to base what they see on, in general. Accept others as who they are--this is different from 'who they seem to be' because impressions are only as temporary as the idea that you place on them; being with other people means getting to understand them rather than putting concepts 'on' them. There are online IRC channels, forums, and cooperative games (forum or otherwise) that you could join to get to know others if you're shy in PMing them directly.

Generally, being on the internet and communicating with other people is pretty much the basic way to find them. :D It'd be better to add more specific details because that question is very broad...unless that is the question you're looking for. :O
And also put in mind that the internet entails an international community--you'll be seeing many kinds of how people act that may seem a bit blunt or a bit too forward for your own likes, depending on your own culture. This goes along with getting to know others more though, but I'm curious for more specifics there.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 11:05:27 pm by Tiruin »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 11:14:57 pm »

The lower boards irc is a tolerably good place to start, as are chat rooms in general.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

:3

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 11:15:18 pm »

I'm presuming you've got friends there since you're making 'on the Internet' specific
No not really. I'm a shut in and I don't really have much experience.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 02:48:30 am »

That...is not a kitchen/spambot, Trapezohedron. :P Treat everything as sincere if it's on a Life Advice (or in general) board.

"To find them"?
I'm presuming you've got friends there since you're making 'on the Internet' specific--it's just like making friends IRL. General tips are: Open communication--which needn't be constant, but persistent, in the least enough that you know each other very well that time doesn't make any difference. Value of others and trust--to get friends you must be a friend, let others know your quirks and strengths or how you generally act, so whenever something seems off they have something to base what they see on, in general. Accept others as who they are--this is different from 'who they seem to be' because impressions are only as temporary as the idea that you place on them; being with other people means getting to understand them rather than putting concepts 'on' them. There are online IRC channels, forums, and cooperative games (forum or otherwise) that you could join to get to know others if you're shy in PMing them directly.

Generally, being on the internet and communicating with other people is pretty much the basic way to find them. :D It'd be better to add more specific details because that question is very broad...unless that is the question you're looking for. :O
And also put in mind that the internet entails an international community--you'll be seeing many kinds of how people act that may seem a bit blunt or a bit too forward for your own likes, depending on your own culture. This goes along with getting to know others more though, but I'm curious for more specifics there.

Apologies. It was all in good jest. Really though, what I meant is that, you're better off finding a game (or chatroom or so on and so forth) to play with some people. Tabletop simulator is pretty great if you want some card games/willing to learn; someone was building a deck, I dropped by, asked a few questions about the card game he was building a deck for, then he offered to teach me (and one other guy who happened to drop by at that very second) to play the game. We make regular contact now playing card games.

Alternatives would be to find an MMO, but I've been jaded by those people recently so I won't offer any further advice about that other than finding a guild that shares your interest, and there's almost always likely a person willing to teach a newbie the ropes of a particular game.

Lastly, you can just drop by the bay12 lower boards really.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 11:11:25 am »

What are your top areas of interests, :3?

Basically I'd suggest gaming or joining common-interest communities. Especially ones where you have a broad knowledge of the subject. Then you have things to chat about and can share your knowledge.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 01:17:44 am »

show some skin. it worked for me

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 11:38:03 pm »

Try Chatango. It allows you to make an anonymous account and chat to random people whose profiles look interesting, as well as make and join chat rooms. I met someone who is now a very close friend there.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 05:13:33 pm »

If you're a gamer like me, and take this with a grain of salt, try playing a guild-heavy MMO you enjoy and try joining a guild with a chat.

This worked for me in Guild Wars 2, I started Cthulhu Saves the World a long time ago and with a small (like 3) core group of friends and set up a free Raidcall room and the fun times rolled. We gradually gained a few close friends to join the group while others came and went. We all drifted to our individual interests after the GW2 expansion and after we realized what shit ArcheAge was. I still keep in touch with a couple, but they play EVE and I just don't have it in me anymore to grind that kinda way no more (unless I win the lottery and can quit working forever).

But yeah, get a microphone and find a guild with a chat in a game you find fun and start small.

Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

TKR101010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 01:29:11 pm »

I'm presuming you've got friends there since you're making 'on the Internet' specific
No not really. I'm a shut in and I don't really have much experience.

I have problems with depression and social anxiety, so I tend to be a shut in a lot of the time too. The best place I've been successful at meeting and making internet friends (and with that people to play multiplayer games with often) has been Twitch.tv

Go watch someone stream some games you enjoy and meet them and their viewers in the chat. Especially effective if you find a streamer that likes to play multiplayer with people in their chat, then you can start playing with people and get to chatting with them in voice chat too. Twitch.tv has also been good for me to watch people play games like DF when I can't figure stuff out on my own. Sometimes it's as easy as just watching them and having it click in my head "Oh! That's how you do that! I see now! \o/", but even if you have to ask the streamer most people are pretty friendly and happy to chat about the game they are playing.

I would have suggested that streaming your own gameplay might also be useful along those line, but with my own experience that hasn't worked out very well. I'm not very chatty voice-wise while I'm playing and don't use a webcam, so my streams tend to be kind boring I guess. I'm still gonna keep with it until I finish my current playthroughs though at least. Who knows, maybe attendance will pick up. Feel free to stop by for my Monday streaming of Wasteland 2 and say HI :) ... https://www.twitch.tv/tkr101010

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 05:13:17 pm »

You can always hang out here, too.  There's a bunch of servers for various chat programs, and General Discussion is a cool place.

Hi, by the way!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 02:15:21 pm »

Find forums with a relatively stable population and decent moderation. Here is good, SpaceBattles is also good.

If you have any hobbies, find the major forum for those. If you don't have a hobby, pick one that doesn't sound horrible and try it out. Woodcarving, knitting or crocheting (don't get them mixed up!), restoring antiques, cooking, programming, whatever. Get a beginner project, find the big hobby forums and introduce yourself, ask some questions. Most people love a chance to show off and help newcomers.

Find a friendly MMO and an active newbie-friendly guild. I've had good experiences in Guild Wars 2.  I would suggest avoiding EVE, ArcheAge, WOW, any MMO where the 'git gud' ethos is strong.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 01:13:33 pm »

Yelling at Russians worked pretty great for me: I gained two great IRL drinking buddies that way :3
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2016, 09:24:10 pm »

We'd need a response from you to continue anything here :P As an aside, may I suggest you look up TBF's thread on the same board? Good advice all around there, along with his replies being helpful in turn. More details help threads like these--and I wonder as an aside what brought you to B12 and have this thread as your first post?
Pages: [1] 2