Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A couple of weird requests..  (Read 1849 times)

dragontamercos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A couple of weird requests..
« on: August 28, 2016, 11:20:58 pm »

1. Drugs and addiction.

Can caravans sometimes lace food with Opium, to weaken your fort for an following attack. If you take away the drugs or if they run out they will start going insane. Also maybe you can create the drugs for your citizens to keep them happier. OR maybe do the same thing but you trade the Opium to increase the dependence of your Caravan making the Caravan come more (this would require a stock system first)

edit to clarify why i want the stock system to be up first...

You sell large amount of opium lased food to the humans, there people become dependent, your stock goes up and dwarfbucks become better causing the dwarven economy to become better, making you and your fellow dwarfs wealthy. Then human caravan to come more to continue a constantly supply of opium. And if you deny them there opium they will slip into anarchy causing the human stock to plummet because of no production, (then they cant send a caravan because they dont have anything to sell) then possibly a war because of the lack of opium.

2. Rain buildup...

I want to be able to put criminals in holes outside heavy rain style, so the rain can drown them. Also heavy amounts of rain pilling on the roof of your fortress causing a cave-in... (this requires a new cave-in system)

« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 02:37:12 am by dragontamercos »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: A couple of weird requests..
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 11:42:24 pm »

Number 1 is already mechanically possible. Dorfs can become addicts, and overdose on substances. Right now we just see Alcohol poising, but illicit or recreational drug is, is already mechanically possible.

You can already do number 2. Right now, there is only just one above ground tile that can collect rain water. Its the murky pool tile.

Though, I think even recently, TodayOne has talked about rain collection in general. The problem with substances gathering into pools, is thats its a factorial problem. Even with just ten different substances that gather into pools, give you 3628800 different combinations. 3628800 different reactions. And its very messy, to just make dozens of ad hoc additions.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

dragontamercos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 12:02:42 am »

Number 1 is already mechanically possible. Dorfs can become addicts, and overdose on substances. Right now we just see Alcohol poising, but illicit or recreational drug is, is already mechanically possible.

You can already do number 2. Right now, there is only just one above ground tile that can collect rain water. Its the murky pool tile.

Though, I think even recently, TodayOne has talked about rain collection in general. The problem with substances gathering into pools, is thats its a factorial problem. Even with just ten different substances that gather into pools, give you 3628800 different combinations. 3628800 different reactions. And its very messy, to just make dozens of ad hoc additions.

I know its possible but i want the full on effects of Opium. (and maybe crack) But i want stocks first so it can work fully. You sell large amount of opium lased food to the humans, there people become dependent, your stock goes up and dwarfbucks become better causing the dwarven economy to become better, making you and your fellow dwarfs wealthy. Then human caravan to come more to continue to supply there people or they will slip into anarchy then possibly a war because of the lack of opium.

And if the humans figure it out they will start the Opium war like England and Chinas.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 02:32:14 am by dragontamercos »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 12:14:04 am »

Stocks dont really exists circa 1400 europe.

England didnt feel China opium to weaken them. It was a trade agreement that had horrible effect on China.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

dragontamercos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 02:25:37 am »

England didnt feel China opium to weaken them. It was a trade agreement that had horrible effect on China.

Well no. English merchants backed by the English government to try and even out the Tea trade deficit illegally smuggled opium into China do to strict trading laws. This led to the First Opium War which the smuggling actually weeken there military because they did opium, allowing for an easy victory.

I never really said it was intentionally to cause ill effect on the Humans/elfs or to weaken them, but if they were to siege you and you have a high opium stock and they have been consuming high amounts i want the men to be weaker.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 02:36:04 am by dragontamercos »

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 07:57:14 am »

I'd find opium annoying as a regular feature, but looks like an interesting mod.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 07:58:58 am »

Didn't there once be a mechanic where cave ins would happen if you dug out a certain amount of stone and didn't put pillars in place to hold it up?

I think load bearing and other physical engineering factors would be interesting, though I wonder how it would affect the game's overall performance.

dragontamercos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 12:54:24 pm »

I'd find opium annoying as a regular feature, but looks like an interesting mod.

Well i mean if its trying to be a fantasy simulator it needs opium.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 11:58:44 pm »

I think what you actually want is a syndrome effect stimulating addiction.  You can already do plenty with modded syndromes but the only substance that dwarves crave is alcohol and they are born craving it.

A syndrome that has addictive qualities in addition to any other effects would make creatures seek it out more as the substance accumulates in their body.

dragontamercos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 12:44:32 am »

I think what you actually want is a syndrome effect stimulating addiction.  You can already do plenty with modded syndromes but the only substance that dwarves crave is alcohol and they are born craving it.

A syndrome that has addictive qualities in addition to any other effects would make creatures seek it out more as the substance accumulates in their body.

But i want to affect other people with the drugs and affect the stock market and such.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 02:34:42 am by dragontamercos »

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 12:59:41 am »

Well no. English merchants backed by the English government to try and even out the Tea trade defecate deficit illegally smuggled opium into China do due to strict trading laws. This lead led to the First Opium War which the smuggling actually weekend there weakened their military because they did opium, allowing for an easy victory.

I never really said it was intentionally to cause ill effect on the Humans/elfs or to weaken them, but if they where were to siege you and you have a high opium stock and they have been consuming high amounts i want the men to be weaker.

. . .

But i want to effect affect other people with the drugs and effect affect the stock market and such.
Sorry, I don't usually Grammar Nazi like this, but that was just too dense for me to let pass.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

dragontamercos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 02:33:40 am »

Well no. English merchants backed by the English government to try and even out the Tea trade defecate deficit illegally smuggled opium into China do due to strict trading laws. This lead led to the First Opium War which the smuggling actually weekend there weakened their military because they did opium, allowing for an easy victory.

I never really said it was intentionally to cause ill effect on the Humans/elfs or to weaken them, but if they where were to siege you and you have a high opium stock and they have been consuming high amounts i want the men to be weaker.

. . .

But i want to effect affect other people with the drugs and effect affect the stock market and such.
Sorry, I don't usually Grammar Nazi like this, but that was just too dense for me to let pass.

when your so tried to spell you will make mistakes.

But thank you for correcting my poor google suggestion *grammer* (bate) skills. I usually look up in google what im saying so i don't do shit like this.

dragontamercos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 02:37:37 am »

Well no. English merchants backed by the English government to try and even out the Tea trade deficit illegally smuggled opium into China due to strict trading laws. This led to the First Opium War which the smuggling actually weakened their military because they did opium, allowing for an easy victory.

I never really said it was intentionally to cause ill effect on the Humans/elfs or to weaken them, but if they were to siege you and you have a high opium stock and they have been consuming high amounts i want the men to be weaker.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2016, 04:04:17 am »

Trading stocks might not have existed, but supply and demand always has.  That will probably be dealt with in its own arc.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2016, 06:16:24 am »

I doubt Toady will implement this, especially since it's so easily moddable.

Poisoning food supplies of a settlement or army is more realistic than getting one addicted to opium though.
Pages: [1] 2