Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why do broken bolts persist?  (Read 612 times)

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why do broken bolts persist?
« on: August 29, 2016, 08:39:44 am »

I've got an archery tower in the middle of my courtyard for security.

Consequentially, after a few sieges, the entire court is covered with broken bolts.

It seems odd to me that this, of all tiles, is so persistent. Would it be possible that picking these up could be made into some kind of super-low-priority job?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Why do broken bolts persist?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 11:14:39 am »

Picked up and put where? Perhaps a stockpile setting for "broken" items?

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 11:31:47 am »

Dumped, I'd assume. Or are they really so important that they have to have their own icon?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 11:41:10 am »

On their own, no, but there's been worry about broken weapons and armour being unrepairable, which would tie in nicely.

And eh, garbage dump settings for me are more of a "move this thing here" order than "toss trash here" order. Cue broken bolts in library.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 11:45:38 am »

Repairing them? That's a thought, maybe salvage the head. Fixing the wooden end seems unrealistic to me.

I do tend to use dump item as destroy with prejudice because I dislike clutter. It's why I always have a magma chute in my forts. And it mars my sense of aesthetics to have this visual noise that I cannot change nor interact with.

Another idea would be letting them gradually rot away. 

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 11:59:44 am »

If they're bone or wood bolts, they can be destroyed in ...200 years, I think? By natural organic wear. Or in a matter of days if you settled in deadly cold or deadly hot place. Neither's not really practical.

If refuse piles accelerated the wear of more than just clothing and armor, they'd be an option.

If broken bolts were stored anywhere, you could haul them off the field - even to just inside a minecart.

Celebrim42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 09:23:41 pm »

Of all the strange decisions in the game design, none seems more inexplicable to me than the decision to persist an object which has no bearing on gameplay and which cannot be interacted with.  Even as a place holder of a future system, the broken bolts seem utterly bizarre.