Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A peculiar situation....suggestions?  (Read 1064 times)

h27kim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A peculiar situation....suggestions?
« on: August 29, 2016, 01:21:06 pm »

This is a game from 40.24--for now, I'm not updating to the new version until some annoying issues are ironed out.  But two odd issues have cropped up.

3rd Fortress in the same world--the world was about 135-140 years old when I began and about 40 years have passed since, with two thriving but FPS dead fortresses having been retired in the meantime.  The old dwarf king has died of old age and his daughter became the new queen, and this is where things get odd.

First, The new queen was a member of a Goblin civilization, having been kidnapped long ago.  But, apparently, some time during worldgen, she became a "refugee" somewhere according to Legend Viewer.  Apparently, this did not prevent her from succeeding to the throne, though, except, after the succession, neither liaisons, migrants, or caravans arrive.  Nothing going on, apparently, by means of sieges etc getting in the way--I think.  But I don't even know where the mountainhome is now, given the strange royal situation.

Maybe not a bad situation, except that I could use more population:  I like having generational forts, so I set child cap at 100%/200...but, even though I'm at 122 population, I am getting no more children beyond 61 (so is the real childcap 50%?  Has anyone had a fortress where natural births were still taking place after the % of children hit 50%?  If this is a bug, or a pair of bugs, how do I submit a bug report?)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: A peculiar situation....suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 02:03:22 pm »

Check your civ screen?

It might be that the reason you're not getting merchants is that goblins don't have any.

h27kim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 02:12:30 pm »

Possible.  So I might have a queen of a Dwarven civilization who is technically part of a Goblin civilization?  (altho she does show up as a member of the Dwarven civ in the Legends viewer, fwiw)

BlackBronze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 02:39:28 pm »

Clearly you must go on a quest to save the long lost heir to the throne from the clutches of the goblin spawn. Switch to Adventure mode and track her down and interrogate her. Only then will you know where her alliegence truly lies...

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 02:48:09 pm »

I've had well over 50% children in my fort, all from births inside the fortress. I believe the count was once 45 children and 60 adults give or take a few. Your married couples need idle time together to get pregnant. Maybe they have too many jobs?

h27kim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 03:11:33 pm »

Births have apparently resumed.  I guess dwarves do need some idle time to have children too....  I suppose I'll have to do without liaisons, migrants, and royalty, though.

h27kim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 05:12:47 pm »

Almost makes you wonder if the queen might show up...at the head of a Goblin siege. 

h27kim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 12:08:44 am »

So it seems that the new queen is, in fact, a bandit.  (All "camps" belong to bandits, right?  She is a member of a four-member dwarf group in a camp.)  This raises something I'm curious about:  what happens to bandit camps off the map while the fortress mode is continuing?  Do they get attacked by civs?  Do they die off?  Do they give up and join civs?

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 03:55:28 am »

Heres an idea, retire you fortress then create an adventurer. Have your adventurer sally out and kill off the bandit group to which the "goblin" queen belongs. While your there, talk to her if you can to find out more of her situation, then if it seems her situation is unsolvable, kill her and hope the new heir is a plain old dwarf who can migrate and provide all the other royal services you are now lacking.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 04:37:12 am »

What a game.....

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

h27kim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 12:29:02 pm »

The queen was "assassinated" by an assassin who "disguised" himself as a loyal lieutenant of the bandit leader.  The procedurally generated conversation with the queen (where she kept talking about wanting to "go home," wherever this "home" is) made for makings of a real tragic story, but if one does not get to leave a crown behind voluntarily--royalty is, after all, an indentured servitude (to borrow the line from King's Speech.  The good is that the caravans have resumed (but the fortress is now full of 120 dwarven children), the bad is that putting the furniture back where they belong and restocking supplies will take forever (at very poor fps rates).