Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Old-Newbie Tavern/Inn Stockpile Question  (Read 2745 times)

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Old-Newbie Tavern/Inn Stockpile Question
« on: August 31, 2016, 01:44:49 am »

Hi all,

So, inns and taverns are a new thing since I last played Dwarf Fortress. I did always want to be able to build inns, though, so I was glad to see them implemented! The little inn I made even has a few visitors.

A few questions, mostly because I either don't know or can't remember how these work ...

1. My tavern/inn needs booze. How do I commit a stockpile for the tavern's use, so that residents of the rest of the city aren't robbing the supply for patrons?

2. How do I commit goblets and other such necessities to cabinets in the tavern?

3. I set up rooms adjacent to the main tavern and included them in the tavern zone. As I understand it, this should make them rentable. However, I find my odd dwarf citizens hanging out in them, instead. Are they just roaming in there and hanging out, or did I set things up incorrectly?

Thanks!

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: Old-Newbie Tavern/Inn Stockpile Question
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 02:00:09 am »

1 put it in the tavern, dwarves will still use it though.

2.build bags or chests in the tavern area, then press l to open the 'l'ocation menu. You can set the amount of goblets and instruments there.

3 designate them as bedrooms. Where there is an option to assign dwarves to a room, there should be an option to add it to a location.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 02:14:27 am »

1 put it in the tavern, dwarves will still use it though.

2.build bags or chests in the tavern area, then press l to open the 'l'ocation menu. You can set the amount of goblets and instruments there.

3 designate them as bedrooms. Where there is an option to assign dwarves to a room, there should be an option to add it to a location.

Thank you!

Unrelated question, but I'll ask it here to save space ...

I accidentally deleted my Large Region default seed in the advanced world generator. Thought I had restored it, but the new one is screwy and can't even generate a working biome. Is there any way to restore it without having to delete and reinstall DF?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 02:58:36 am »

3. Note that the bedrooms don't have to be adjacent to the tavern. In fact, the same tavern can even have several tavern zones spread widely apart associated to it.

I don't understand your last question: Is your problem that you've modified the advanced parameters of your Large Region so they're now screwed up, and you want to go back to basic and reapply your modifications? If this is the case, those parameters are not the seeds referred to in the forum: the seeds are the additional seed parameters that ensure the same set of parameters yield an identical world on every generation.

If your problem is having destroyed your advanced parameter profile, I'd do the following:
1. Reinstall DF elsewhere and open its world_gen.txt file beside your current world_gen.txt (containing the damaged parameter set).
2. Move your damaged profile to the end of the file and rename it from Large Region (e.g. to Akoto).
3. Copy the fresh unharmed profile from the new install to where the harmed profile used to be.
4. You now have the original parameter set available for reference, and tinker only with your own profile copy. Compare the original with your damaged profile to try to correct the parameters you think are wrong. You may end up deciding the damaged profile is beyond repair, discard it, and then make a new copy of the original to modify.

You don't actually have to install a second DF copy, as it's sufficient to go into the archive and look at the file from there.

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 03:07:56 am »

It was the second issue, Patrik. I accidentally deleted the profile itself. I'll give your suggestion a try, with a thank you!