Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress FPS Consistently Slows and Speeds Up  (Read 1314 times)

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress FPS Consistently Slows and Speeds Up
« on: August 29, 2016, 03:27:06 pm »

This might be the wrong area of the forum for this but I'm pretty sure this is a localized problem and not really a bug with the game, and it only affects me in fortress mode so

Even with a new fortress in a new world on a fresh install of Dwarf Fortress my game consistently runs smoothly for about 3 seconds until it smoothly drops frames to 0, and then jumps back up to max.  It's almost like a slow stutter from hell, and I can't figure out why Dwarf Fortress started doing this.  Has anybody else had this issue or know of a possible reason or even solution?
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress FPS Consistently Slows and Speeds Up
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 03:45:57 pm »

A lot of things can cause something like this. Could be your computer. It could be your fortress design. It could be the caverns. It could be...

We need more information from you before we can assist you.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 03:47:39 pm »

I've tried a new fortress and new install of DF so it's gotta be my computer.  My drivers are up to date though, so I'm not sure anymore.
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.

Haymaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 04:04:13 pm »

Have you tried other embarks?

You might have something very busy going somewhere hidden and that can be both !!fun!! and bad

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 02:05:42 am »

Is it actually speeding up again, or are you just going by the FPS counter after a recent pause?

I can't figure out why a new fort would have FPS troubles unless it was really big.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 02:51:05 am »

You haven't provided any info that given any clue as to what's wrong. I suspect you're doing something DF doesn't like.
I know one thing causing this kind of behavior is to to have a single tile tavern with two (or more) visitors trying to go there, but one is giving up because the tile is occupied. Providing sufficient tavern space in the same tavern object solved that case (deleting the tavern object caused the problem to remain).