Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: proof of concept: furnaces on top of the volcano  (Read 1201 times)

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
proof of concept: furnaces on top of the volcano
« on: August 29, 2016, 05:29:27 pm »

Here is a screen shot of my little experiment to build on top of the volcano.  There are three magma kilns, the one closest to the entrance has one constructed floor tile, the middle magma kiln has all 8 floor tiles constructed from quartzite blocks and the furthest magma kiln rests on top of a wood block floor.  Near the entrance to the kiln area you can see an earthenware statue I installed to commemorate the event.

I used version 43.05.  If there is interest, I can (try to) provide the save, but I did this just as a quick test - I left about 300-some points on the table and have done nothing regarding booze or food yet.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mek42/shares/g01qX6
"Is that the game with the blinky characters and no pictures?  Maybe you do have Asperger's." - My wife after I mentioned my excitement over the elves bringing by caravan a whole bunch of wood after my deforestation project was neglected due to a near-tantrum spiral and total loss of my initial seven and a bunch of immigrants.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: proof of concept: furnaces on top of the volcano
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 01:08:57 am »

Heh. What's really fun is when murky pool is night next to the caldera, though - I've gotten setup for magma forges, smelters, glassworks, irrigated floor for farming, obsidian floor for dining hall and fire imps coming out, setting everything on fire and ending my fortress with just 1 channel designation on embark.

Roofless

• Bay Watcher
  • Never had a glass industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 02:18:09 am »

Emm... I'm at a loss here. Is building on top of a volcano "an awesome feat of dwarfness"?
Cause' I have an entire fort suspended over a volcano in mid-air, with production floor on the magma surface level.

Magma crabs are bothered me from time to time, but a "skirt" of 1-2 floor tiles around the forges and furnaces makes dwarves nearly invisible to them.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 02:19:41 am by Roofless »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 03:12:42 pm »

The ability to build directly above the caldera is one of the best reasons to embark on a volcano. Most iron is found near the surface, and when the magma is readily available from embark it makes for some fast weaponsmithing.

BlackBronze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 03:13:39 pm »

Emm... I'm at a loss here. Is building on top of a volcano "an awesome feat of dwarfness"?
Cause' I have an entire fort suspended over a volcano in mid-air, with production floor on the magma surface level.

Magma crabs are bothered me from time to time, but a "skirt" of 1-2 floor tiles around the forges and furnaces makes dwarves nearly invisible to them.
same. I think I've ran up to 6 volcano forts before, all of which ended due to unforeseen consequences. Volcanoes are like my go-to plan for when I want to do something slightly different than a typical mountain fortress but don't want to spend the energy to actually come up with something cool.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 03:28:37 pm »

same. I think I've ran up to 6 volcano forts before, all of which ended due to unforeseen consequences. Volcanoes are like my go-to plan for when I want to do something slightly different than a typical mountain fortress but don't want to spend the energy to actually come up with something cool.

A few years back I tried to start a succession fort game with a Human Vampires theme. The thread voted to settle on an evil volcano and build a vampire castle atop the volcano and a little hamlet for the mortals around it.

Things did not work out well. Between the zombie ravens, zombie settlers, the huskifying gas clouds that would occasionally drift by or, for some reason, burst out the mouth of the volcano and the small number of people who lived long enough to get their blood drank it was impossible to maintain things for more than a few moments. Some progress was being made until the vampires got husked and made it impossible to do anything because they could rip any living thing nearby into meaty chunks barehanded.

I need to try that again with the new version sometime.  :P
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

BlackBronze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 04:19:28 pm »

A few years back I tried to start a succession fort game with a Human Vampires theme. The thread voted to settle on an evil volcano and build a vampire castle atop the volcano and a little hamlet for the mortals around it.

Things did not work out well. Between the zombie ravens, zombie settlers, the huskifying gas clouds that would occasionally drift by or, for some reason, burst out the mouth of the volcano and the small number of people who lived long enough to get their blood drank it was impossible to maintain things for more than a few moments. Some progress was being made until the vampires got husked and made it impossible to do anything because they could rip any living thing nearby into meaty chunks barehanded.

Now THAT sounds like fun. I ought to find this thread sometime.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 05:22:30 pm »

Now THAT sounds like fun. I ought to find this thread sometime.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=134000.0

Was feeling nostalgic anyway so I went looking for it.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.