Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [solved] Can you install just a tileset, and not DFHack or anything?  (Read 880 times)

steric

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Hello All,

Please excuse me if I posted this is a less-than-perfect spot. I am new here. I tried searching and came up nil.

I have played with the lazy newb pack for ~100 hours a few years back. I ultimately want to play DF vanilla style now, or at least close. I am having trouble figuring out what mods do what. Can anyone answer the following questions:

1. Can I use a tile set without any other application like DFHack or similiar?

2. Is there a single mod that works well for mouse support? So I can drag zones, etc?

Thank you in advance,
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 08:29:00 am by steric »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Can you install just a tileset, and not DFHack or anything?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 07:51:36 am »

1. Custom tilesets have absolutely nothing to do with DFHack - they have been part of the vanilla game for nearly 10 years.

2. Without DFHack, no "mods" can introduce actual functionality into the user interface. If what you're asking for is the ability to designate areas using the mouse, then that should already be partially possible: enter Designation mode, right-click on a tile to move the cursor there, press Enter to begin selecting a rectangle, right-click on the other corner, then press Enter again to finish. This has also been part of the vanilla game for nearly 10 years.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

steric

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 11:56:16 am »

1. Custom tilesets have absolutely nothing to do with DFHack - they have been part of the vanilla game for nearly 10 years.

2. Without DFHack, no "mods" can introduce actual functionality into the user interface. If what you're asking for is the ability to designate areas using the mouse, then that should already be partially possible: enter Designation mode, right-click on a tile to move the cursor there, press Enter to begin selecting a rectangle, right-click on the other corner, then press Enter again to finish. This has also been part of the vanilla game for nearly 10 years.

Alright thanks for the input.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 04:14:28 pm »

However, some tilesets such as phoebus do not have added detail which is enabled by DFHack. (twbt plugin) It is totally possible to play DF vanilla style with DFhack instelled, In the launcher menu under DFhack, unhighlight all the options.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 02:41:46 pm »

So, I use vanilla DF, and I've never NOT been able to use left-click designations. Right out of the box, I can use the mouse to designate. As in, I left click and it designates whatever I just clicked on to be mined or cut or harvested.

is that normal?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 05:53:06 pm »

So, I use vanilla DF, and I've never NOT been able to use left-click designations. Right out of the box, I can use the mouse to designate. As in, I left click and it designates whatever I just clicked on to be mined or cut or harvested.

is that normal?
Of course it is - even though I only mentioned the ability to right-click to move the cursor, it's also possible to left-click to paint designations on individual tiles; I just didn't mention it because it wasn't relevant to the particular question (which was concerned with creating activity zones, which can't be done with left-click).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.