Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 14 dorfs mysteriously stuck  (Read 822 times)

CyberianK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
14 dorfs mysteriously stuck
« on: August 30, 2016, 12:46:57 pm »

Hey everyone

had this issue in 40_24. But also upgraded to 43 and have the same issue there. Probably its not a bug but I did something wrong?

I have 14 military Dwarfs marksmen. They just came back from killing a Water Bull. Now they wont enter my fortress anymore they can only stay outside. If I give them station even one level down they wont go it always says "Unreachable Location" to the right. Also if I change their alert back to inactive so they go civilian again it does not change a thing they still wont go down to train, eat or sleep. Everything is perfectly accessible to my other 60 dwarfs only the 14 are affected. Even deleted all my burrows or scrapped the hatches does not change a thing.

Does anyone have an idea what could be happening here? It has to be anything specific to these military dwarfs thats keeping them from moving away from the surface.

CyberianK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 14 dorfs mysteriously stuck
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 01:12:35 pm »

WOW I found out what happened... the strangest thing ever
seems it wasnt only the military dwarfs but my staiurway was cut off without me noticing:

picture from 2 seasons earlier autosave:

current save:

notice the stairs are natural still so I didn't change them myself why would I somehow they got magically transformed and locked me out...
seems the cavedwellers didnt like the surface stinkers
looks like a bug but VERY strange never encountered sth. that changes the save/map this way

anyway I will continue from the autosave just to be sure. By the way should I continue in 40_24 or can I safely migrate to 43.03 (lazynewbpack). Hadnt touched the new version before does it crash alot? Old savegame seems to work in it.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 01:22:28 pm »

Well, you won't get procedurally generated tavern stuff and such when you upgrade, which imho are the reasons to run more buggy 42+ over 40, though I think there's a dfhack script to give you at least some features post-upgrade.

Looking at those pictures, I think you mass-designated "remove ramps/upstairs" over the whole channel you have around the fortress, thus making them downstairs only. I see at least one stranded dwarf in the northeast hole.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 01:25:47 pm by Fleeting Frames »

CyberianK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 01:35:36 pm »

You are totally right now it makes sense seems I did that when I started my moat.
I never used that feature for stairs seems I kind of forgot it affected them it says so clearly in the text only ever use it for removing ramps.

So it wasn't a bug after all like I guessed in the first post but a user error. Silly users always do stupid things.

THANKS for feedback and for advice. I end this game in 40 then run my next game in the new version.