Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Warhammer 40K Underhive Settlement Reboot 2.2.4 (Bugfixes!)  (Read 29577 times)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Warhammer 40K Underhive Settlement Reboot 2.2.4 (Bugfixes!)
« on: August 30, 2016, 01:48:18 pm »

Based on the Games Workshop tabletop game Necromunda. Attempt to lead a few hardy souls to build a new
life in the treacherous badzones of the Necromundan Underhive. Repel vicious wildlife, fight off the
predations of Scavvy Raiders, fend off brutal rebelling Pit Slaves and turn back incursions of zealous,
fire-crazed Redemptionists. Concoct drugs, hi-tech materials and gunpowder through alchemy. Pen lovingly
crafted tomes of priceless knowledge. Manufacture deadly firearms, and turn your backwoods sump-hole into
an Underhive Metropolis!

This version of the mod is a reboot/rewrite, based on version 1.6.1 (for DF 34.11). Large swathes of
this reboot are completely new, others adhere closely to the old mod. I have no connection to the
original team aside from a like for 40K and a wish to keep the mod alive, but I hope my contribution
is a worthy addition to their work. I welcome contributions or suggestions, this mod belongs to it's
fans just as much as it belongs to me, you have as much right to it as I do.

Some features of this version differ significantly from the old mod, sometimes because I didn't like
the way the old mod did something, sometimes because I figured out a way to do it better, and sometimes
because changes in DF made to old way no longer reasonable.

What follows is a list of general differences between this version and the old version. I'm probably
forgetting some...

* Industries (workshops+reactions) are totally different. No vestiges of vanilla DF remain.
* You need hand tools (or other special items) to build every workshop.
* You can't use stone to make furniture directly anymore.
* Wood items cost a lot more now (but there is more wood available due to multi-tile trees).
* The alchymical system is significantly simpler (although still not as easy as most of the industries).
* Scavenging uses "trees" rather than boulders you dig up (this is partly a way to dilute your wood supply).
* Scavenging is generally more important than you may remember.
* It is much harder to make your own digging and cutting tool/weapons.
* The "rogue techpriest" noble is no longer just for flavor!
* Collecting drinking water is now done with the "water purifier", and may be boosted by drawing from
  a cistern.
* Drinking water is collected directly to barrels, no need for fiddling with bottles.
* There are no more undiggable soils. You can always dig anywhere you want.
   * This is for two reasons: 1) Not being able to dig is annoying. 2) There are some bugs related to
     undiggable stones.
* You won't find wandering plague zombies. I may add these later.
* Cooking is more interesting, as it produces unique "prepared meal" items instead of fancily named
  raw plants and meat.
* Leather is no longer generic, and most creatures give more than one hide when tanned.
* The old scribal system is gone, replaced with bookbinding using the vanilla library system.

Detailed documentation is included, simple run "Launch Rubble", browse to "Addon Documentation", and choose "Underhive Settlement/Base". A default set of raws are pregenerated for your convenience, but if you prefer you can use the included Rubble install to generate your own custom set (this is how you switch houses).

Download (from DFFD)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 12:28:22 pm by milo christiansen »
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K Underhive Settlement Reboot 2.0.0 (First Stable Release!)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 05:11:43 pm »

Hey Milo, in the other thread you mentioned bugs with undiggable stone. Could you elaborate on them? (I'm planning to use them for something, and it'd be nice to know)

Either way, nice to see this is done. Do you got any future plans, or is this as complete as it'll get and you'll just keep it updated?

EDIT: The PRAWNS_SLUDGE vermin has no actual name (it's just "name").
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 05:23:09 pm by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 05:26:34 pm »

A ptw, I'm sure there's something to be ironed out here and there, but I think I have a  base for a new story project now...

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 06:06:15 pm »

Hey Milo, in the other thread you mentioned bugs with undiggable stone. Could you elaborate on them? (I'm planning to use them for something, and it'd be nice to know)

As an example if you try to dig a channel over an undiggable stone you will get a tile of empty space. See bug 708.

Either way, nice to see this is done. Do you got any future plans, or is this as complete as it'll get and you'll just keep it updated?

Oh, it's not finished yet, just that it's "mostly done" and I have all the industries tested. I'll keep adding new content for a few versions yet, then I'll keep it maintained for as long as I can (hopefully forever and ever amen).

EDIT: In particular this version is still missing chaos cults, but I have a list of other stuff that needs changing too. If you are curious my TODO list in in the "Addons/Underhive Settlement/Base" directory.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 06:08:18 pm by milo christiansen »
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 04:34:03 pm »

Oh this is awesome! I was so sad when the previous underhive died, but I'm glad to see it reborn in some form.

Also love when there's no vanilla buildings, complete overhauls are the best.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 10:58:10 am »

This is actually the first DF mod ever that has no vanilla buildings! The technique used to remove hardcoded buildings was something I pioneered, and so far I am the only person to use it extensively.

(actually the vanilla butcher shop is in, but disguised, because the slaughter job is hardcoded so it can only happen there)

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 02:56:38 pm »

Going to try it tonight once I get the time, so what are the future plans or is going by ear? I've given the documents a good run through as well as the programs, almost amazing what modders have done with DF at times.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 03:47:24 pm »

Future plans? I have a TODO list that I need to work through yet (you can read it yourself at "Addons/Underhive Settlement/Base/addon_todo.md"), but one that stuff is done I think I will drop back to just maintaining it. I plant to keep this up to date for the foreseeable future, so you won't have to worry about being stuck with something using an outdated DF again.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 01:38:09 pm »

So the game hangs and/or crashes if I try to resize the window, or even just move it around. Does Rubble not play nice with manual changes to init.txt or something, or is there something more serious going on?

I'm using Windows 10, and the base + logistics + power unit addons. A quick check shows that vanilla DF 43.03 + DFHack doesn't have this problem.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 02:33:34 pm »

Posting to watch.

austinwelser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 06:56:38 pm »

Emperor be praised! I was getting seriously pissed at the undiggable stuff we had.

chalicier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 05:00:26 pm »

Great to see this thing hit release!

Downloading now, let's give it a spin.

chalicier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 06:35:57 pm »

When I use the "MILO'S" world generation profile, the game crashes once generation is complete. (It seems to work fine with the other profiles, though.)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2016, 12:13:47 pm »

When I use the "MILO'S" world generation profile, the game crashes once generation is complete. (It seems to work fine with the other profiles, though.)

Very weird... As the name suggests that is the profile I always use, so it has been thoroughly tested. AFAIK the only differences that profile has is shorter stop time (100 years), and always north pole.

So the game hangs and/or crashes if I try to resize the window, or even just move it around.

This issue is a known side effect of TWBT and/or print mode "STANDARD". Set the print mode to "2D" and this problem should go away (but you won't have TWBT anymore). Switching from windowed to fullscreen will also crash the game, but alt+tab works, so if youdo want to use TWBT you should use fullscreen and alt+tab.

I just uploaded a minor update. This fixes the messed up sludge prawn header, adds a few more melee weapons, and makes a few other cosmetic tweaks. Chaos cults are still missing, but I have finally figured out how I want them to work (hint: it uses lots of DFHack), so it shouldn't be long :)

chalicier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2016, 04:43:15 pm »

Very weird... As the name suggests that is the profile I always use, so it has been thoroughly tested. AFAIK the only differences that profile has is shorter stop time (100 years), and always north pole.

Well, I'll give 2.1.0 a try, see if there's any difference.

This issue is a known side effect of TWBT and/or print mode "STANDARD". Set the print mode to "2D" and this problem should go away (but you won't have TWBT anymore). Switching from windowed to fullscreen will also crash the game, but alt+tab works, so if youdo want to use TWBT you should use fullscreen and alt+tab.

I get a hang if I Alt-Tab out of fullscreen; it does that "minimise to the top-left corner" thing DF used to do back in 0.31ish times when it froze, and won't come back out.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5